Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Watching a lot of his highlights and I can’t help thinking that if he’s nhl ready this year, that he would look really good next to Gaudreau.

I know everyone is going to want Laine with Gaudreau, but I’m not convinced it’s going to work. I think marchenko might be a better fit. But whether it’s with Gaudreau or Voracek I think he’s going to score 20-25 this year.
I think this is what Jarmo was thinking when he moved Bjorkstrand. I think he's expecting big things from Marchenko. Maybe ill placed but we'll know soon enough. I think we get the distribution effect across several players and Marchenko is a bonus. Really excited for him.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yep -- Tyutin is the 2007 coach again. You can see that here.

I have two kids in AA travel hockey (bantam minor and squirt minor) and I see guys like Dorsett, Shelley, and Umberger all the time at the rink. I also saw Dubinsky in Dublin a few weeks back with his son.

I used to see Mark Letestu a lot (he has a son the same age as mine) but I see less of him now that he's coaching in Cleveland.

Pretty cool to see all these pro's out/about at the youth hockey levels with the rest of us working stiffs!

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Yep -- Tyutin is the 2007 coach again. You can see that here.

I have two kids in AA travel hockey (bantam minor and squirt minor) and I see guys like Dorsett, Shelley, and Umberger all the time at the rink. I also saw Dubinsky in Dublin a few weeks back with his son.

I used to see Mark Letestu a lot (he has a son the same age as mine) but I see less of him now that he's coaching in Cleveland.

Pretty cool to see all these pro's out/about at the youth hockey levels with the rest of us working stiffs!

Yes that is cool. All my kids have played hockey, and I currently have a high schooler who plays. I have spent a lot of time in the last 10+ years at ice rinks in Columbus. And I have seen guys around a lot and talked to a few of them. They are really normal suburban dads.

When you factor the ex NHL guys plus high level figure skaters like Lee Harris and Tatiana Rachkova who have settled in Columbus and teach skating, this town has become a great place to play youth hockey.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not stereotypes, but there is always a risk to go to a country that is on a full scale war... ahem... "special operation". Any kind of lip slip and you might even face a prison sentence.

The closest bigger Russian city is 4 hours drive from my home, so things may look different from here. No politics, but for sure there are certain risks involved even with athletes right now.
Vasilevsky in Ufa. I think you're too pessimistic.
ruea1817f860c.jpg

Reactions: thebus88

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
That would go into politics. I just wanted to show that there really is nothing to worry about.

He won't be back from despair for a long time. 😎

Yep. Even 'Putin-critic' Panarin is home..... he just had fun with 'pro-Putin' Ovechkin at a charity game. Gavrikov and Chinahkov also attended.

Unfortunately media propaganda and sensationalism skew people's perspectives of the real world. The same crap happens in Russia.:thumbd:

Rest assured, there's nothing to worry about. Those dudes are more than safe.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Watching a lot of his highlights and I can’t help thinking that if he’s nhl ready this year, that he would look really good next to Gaudreau.

I know everyone is going to want Laine with Gaudreau, but I’m not convinced it’s going to work. I think marchenko might be a better fit. But whether it’s with Gaudreau or Voracek I think he’s going to score 20-25 this year.

I have to ask but honestly how good is Marchenko?

He scored at .5 pace in the KHL and now he would straight up jump to top line?

That feels like putting up too much pressure on the kid, he should honestly get some reps in the ahl first

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

That feels like putting up too much pressure on the kid, he should honestly get some reps in the ahl first
Let me start by stating I personally see him bouncing between 2nd and 3rd line minutes. That said, I put Marchenko's last season into the NHLe calculator and it projects to an expected 20 Gs and 34 Pts for his rookie year. That in itself seems like decent production. Bjorky had 28 Gs last year so he would be getting us most of the way there.

But here's the catch. You were simply looking at Marchenko's P/Gm last season. Despite Marchenko being one of their more productive offensive players last season, the team slashed his playing time when it was clear he was not going to re-sign and was planning to join the CBJ for the following season. So, first sixteen games he played about 14 minutes/game and final twenty three games he played about 10 minutes/game including 14 games <10 minutes and 4 games <6 minutes.

Not surprisingly he scored 8 Gs and 12 Pts in his first 14 Games and just 4 Gs and 8 Pts in his final 23 Games. So assuming he gets reasonable minutes in Columbus his NHLe would be closer to 38 Gs and 57 Pts. Granted that's a very small sample size and no way I expect anywhere near those numbers but a hybrid of his two NHLes could put him around 25+ Goals and 45+ Points. How does that sound?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

He’s better than 0.5ppg pace. He got the “Going to NHL” treatment, where he barely got to play even though he was better than guys getting more minutes than him. I watched SKA a lot, and to me he was equal or better at times than Kuzmenko (who I also think is going to be good for Van). Plus KHL is stingy with 2nd assists…

He’s much more ready than Chinakhov was, and IMO the AHL does nothing to help him.

He’s very comparable to Pavel Buchnevich.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Let me start by stating I personally see him bouncing between 2nd and 3rd line minutes. That said, I put Marchenko's last season into the NHLe calculator and it projects to an expected 20 Gs and 34 Pts for his rookie year. That in itself seems like decent production. Bjorky had 28 Gs last year so he would be getting us most of the way there.

But here's the catch. You were simply looking at Marchenko's P/Gm last season. Despite Marchenko being one of their more productive offensive players last season, the team slashed his playing time when it was clear he was not going to re-sign and was planning to join the CBJ for the following season. So, first sixteen games he played about 14 minutes/game and final twenty three games he played about 10 minutes/game including 14 games <10 minutes and 4 games <6 minutes.

Not surprisingly he scored 8 Gs and 12 Pts in his first 14 Games and just 4 Gs and 8 Pts in his final 23 Games. So assuming he gets reasonable minutes in Columbus his NHLe would be closer to 38 Gs and 57 Pts. Granted that's a very small sample size and no way I expect anywhere near those numbers but a hybrid of his two NHLes could put him around 25+ Goals and 45+ Points. How does that sound?

I say we just throw out NHLe modeling when it comes to the KHL. KHL scoring rates tell us very little, good or bad, about how a player would do in the NHL.

He’s better than 0.5ppg pace. He got the “Going to NHL” treatment, where he barely got to play even though he was better than guys getting more minutes than him. I watched SKA a lot, and to me he was equal or better at times than Kuzmenko (who I also think is going to be good for Van). Plus KHL is stingy with 2nd assists…

He’s much more ready than Chinakhov was, and IMO the AHL does nothing to help him.

Buchnevich is what I'm hoping for. I don't know if the skill is quite that good but stylistically it jumps out to me right away when I watch Marchenko.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I say we just throw out NHLe modeling when it comes to the KHL. KHL scoring rates tell us very little, good or bad, about how a player would do in the NHL.
You don’t think Sedlak is getting 60 points in the NHL?? :sarcasm:
Buchnevich is what I'm hoping for. I don't know if the skill is quite that good but stylistically it jumps out to me right away when I watch Marchenko.
I think the skill is there, but is probably going to take some adjusting. I don’t expect him to perform like Buchnevich did this year, but I think 0.5PPG in the NHL is achievable for Kirill in year 1.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I’m just not exactly sure everyone understand the difference between KHL and NHL.

So far Marchenko hasn’t been a dominating player in KHL and he’s jumping straight to top line?
Just looking at past KHL players, where they were at the time and how they adjusted.

There’s no quarantees he’s even NHL ready (for productive top9 role) and he’s passing Laine already in the rankings.

AHL start or 3rd line is far more likely for him or the expectation should be, there’s 4 damm good proven wingers on this roster and Johnson is there as well ready to battle for spots.

NHLe can be thrown out to window for European players coming to NHL.

Edit, & there’s absolutely zero reasons to ”waste” Gaudreaus talent with green NHL player.
The guy can hit 100+ points and win games on his own, he needs(deserves) talent around him

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The tweet wasn't loading and you made my heart stop for a second 😂
Sorry about that, I didn’t really mean to be deceiving…but lighthearted.

I’m just not exactly sure everyone understand the difference between KHL and NHL.

So far Marchenko hasn’t been a dominating player in KHL and he’s jumping straight to top line?
Just looking at past KHL players, where they were at the time and how they adjusted.

There’s no quarantees he’s even NHL ready (for productive top9 role) and he’s passing Laine already in the rankings.

AHL start or 3rd line is far more likely for him or the expectation should be, there’s 4 damm good proven wingers on this roster and Johnson is there as well ready to battle for spots.

Edit, & there’s absolutely zero reasons to ”waste” Gaudreaus talent with green NHL player.
The guy can hit 100+ points and win games on his own, he needs(deserves) talent around him
🛑 🛑 🛑 He’s not jumping straight to the top line. He’s not playing over Laine- Gaudreau. Tops he starts the season on the second line.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Slighlty OT, but who the hell is this Nikishin player that gets traded for 9 other guys?!?!?!?
This is a different scheme. SKA needs a quality defenseman and Nikishin one of the best in the KHL. That's why they traded prospects who wouldn't have a chance to make in the roster, a 4th line forward, and the rights for players who won't be back in the KHL for a long time to one of their unofficial KHL farms (Vítyaz and Sochi are the next) Btw, if Svechkov and Chibrikov show their qualities, also extend their contracts (they only have until 2023 now), at least one would return to SKA for some young players and money. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJ goalie

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

What “rankings” is he passing Laine in?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
What “rankings” is he passing Laine in?
I would have to guess line ”rankings”, as some people were already putting Marchenko in their 1st lines to play with Gaudreau. I don’t know exactly how good he is, but I really doubt he is that good that he should be getting a spot in the top 6. At least his career history so far doesn’t suggest that good potential. Maybe a 2nd liner at some point, but I pretty much doubt it will happen the starting season already.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would have to guess line ”rankings”, as some people were already putting Marchenko in their 1st lines to play with Gaudreau. I don’t know exactly how good he is, but I really doubt he is that good that he should be getting a spot in the top 6. At least his career history so far doesn’t suggest that good potential. Maybe a 2nd liner at some point, but I pretty much doubt it will happen the starting season already.
If that’s the case, I don’t think the poster understands how lines work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad