Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sucks that he was asked that. Not only does it put him in a tough spot, but the question was already answered by his choice to stay here.
I don't know that it answers the question. we can assume that was the issue. If nothing was going on we could have made the assumption that he just wanted to adjust to the city. But in any case, they are assumptions and we continue to assume more based on his answer.

The fact is there is a lot of uncertainty right now. The Kaprizov situation adds to this and while nobody wants to admit it, the snap of Putin's finger could prevent any NHL player from Russia from coming to the USA for the season.

I read an Athletic article earlier today from last week talking about how the NHL eased rules for visas due to covid that allowed many players to come over here without completed work visas. That could complicate the situation further.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
he really tried to replied even when he didn't know the words.

man people should stop asking them personal question relating to russia, must be seriously annoying. they are just hockey players.

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Yeah, wasn't this a thing with Panarin? He voiced support for the opponent of Putin and then basically had to take a "leave of absence" from the Rangers for a couple weeks while either getting his family out or securing their safety or something.
Well, Panarin is in Russia right now, didn’t hear about any issues.

It’s the Fedotov’s story that got some players concerned and they don’t want to have any media speculation on their side

Reactions: thebus88 and VT

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Portzline; master of speculation, says he doesn’t believe the plan is for marchenko to go to the minors. He expects him in the lineup this year

Just watched him in prospect camp and although it’s just one viewing — I would agree with Portzline. He’s a terrific blend of size, speed, and hands.

Very interested to watch how he does tomorrow 3v3.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah, wasn't this a thing with Panarin? He voiced support for the opponent of Putin and then basically had to take a "leave of absence" from the Rangers for a couple weeks while either getting his family out or securing their safety or something.
Putin is interested in Panarin like I'm interested in last year's snow in Chile. Panarin's influence on Russians is effectively nil. Btw, this also applies to Ovechkin. Panarin's family has no problems, some arena built by Gazprom was named after him. That's fact.

Regarding Marchenko. He has done well. Because his words can be twisted, you yourself know how journalists are.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Not exactly - he took a leave of absence after a Russian woman accused him of beating her up in a bar. The people in the bar backed up his side of the story, fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not exactly - he took a leave of absence after a Russian woman accused him of beating her up in a bar. The people in the bar backed up his side of the story, fwiw.
Not quite. She wasn't Russian woman but Latvian (it was in Riga). No one accused him officially, only Andrei Nazarov said his version. But it's interesting that Panarin promised to comment after the season, but he didn't say anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Tyutin might be able to teach Kirill some things. I read an article about Fedor a few years ago that said he was the dirtiest player in hockey. Not for anything blatant, but for his ability to get away with holding and other assorted fouls. He was a master.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Watching a lot of his highlights and I can’t help thinking that if he’s nhl ready this year, that he would look really good next to Gaudreau.

I know everyone is going to want Laine with Gaudreau, but I’m not convinced it’s going to work. I think marchenko might be a better fit. But whether it’s with Gaudreau or Voracek I think he’s going to score 20-25 this year.

Reactions: CBJx614 and I3LI3

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Watching a lot of his highlights and I can’t help thinking that if he’s nhl ready this year, that he would look really good next to Gaudreau.

I know everyone is going to want Laine with Gaudreau, but I’m not convinced it’s going to work. I think marchenko might be a better fit. But whether it’s with Gaudreau or Voracek I think he’s going to score 20-25 this year.

He is really impressive and I'm excited but I don't see why he would be 1st line. At max he could play with Voracek in 2nd and yeah, 20 goals at least. Possibly could replace most of what was lost with bjorky.

I don't know why Gaudreau and Laine wouldn't work, looks about as perfect of a fit I could think of.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He is really impressive and I'm excited but I don't see why he would be 1st line. At max he could play with Voracek in 2nd and yeah, 20 goals at least. Possibly could replace most of what was lost with bjorky.

I don't know why Gaudreau and Laine wouldn't work, looks about as perfect of a fit I could think of.
I prefer two strong lines. It means Laine and Gaudreau in different lines. Also you remember how Laine excellent played with Nyquist and Jenner. But you forgot Chinakhov. Last season was his second with seniors. Yegor Chinakhov at eliteprospects.com He has more experiences now. Johnson could be in the roster too.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Stereotypes much ? Gavrikov, Chinakhov etc are in Russia and perfectly fine right now
Not stereotypes, but there is always a risk to go to a country that is on a full scale war... ahem... "special operation". Any kind of lip slip and you might even face a prison sentence.

The closest bigger Russian city is 4 hours drive from my home, so things may look different from here. No politics, but for sure there are certain risks involved even with athletes right now.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I prefer two strong lines. It means Laine and Gaudreau in different lines. Also you remember how Laine excellent played with Nyquist and Jenner. But you forgot Chinakhov. Last season was his second with seniors. Yegor Chinakhov at eliteprospects.com He has more experiences now. Johnson could be in the roster too.

It's possibly easier to defend against them separately.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not stereotypes, but there is always a risk to go to a country that is on a full scale war... ahem... "special operation". Any kind of lip slip and you might even face a prison sentence.

The closest bigger Russian city is 4 hours drive from my home, so things may look different from here. No politics, but for sure there are certain risks involved even with athletes right now.
My husband, ethnical Ukrainian, lives in Russian Belgorod (more precisely he can't return because of SO) but he only laugh on similar words. On the other side Slovakia is next to Ukraine which is a monkey with grenade (using drones to bomb Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant in what they confessed).

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
One of main reasons I've seen for keeping Gavrikov around was to help accumulate the younger Russians to the area, but if Toots is in town and willing to do that then that's one less reason to keep Gav around.

Reactions: VT and thebus88

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Somehow I didn't realize Tyutin had also come back to live here. That's pretty awesome.
I didn't know that either. It is cool how these guys choose to retire here and many of us don't know. Central Ohio is getting a pretty good collection of retired players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad