Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The two players whose play we're happiest with right now are guys who developed for multiple seasons outside the NHL and still had to earn their spot on the big club after coming over.

I'm trying to avoid making a sweeping pronouncement about that.

It’s almost like the NHL isn’t a development league

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Good thing the cap is going up and Columbus has a decent amount of capspace available
Yeah and hypothetically if Chinakov is blossoming and plays like he currently is for the rest of the season, he's also going to look for a paycheck too.

That is where it will get sticky.

Reactions: Marioesque

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Im listening to anything semi-reasonable offer wise for PL or JG. Not that its forthcoming but I'll listen to anything.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Im listening to anything semi-reasonable offer wise for PL or JG. Not that its forthcoming but I'll listen to anything.
Laine can go, keeping Gaudreau with these young players hitting their stride could form a forward group that overwhelms opponents though. We haven't even really seen Gaudreau with Fantilli yet! They might be dominant together.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Laine can go, keeping Gaudreau with these young players hitting their stride could form a forward group that overwhelms opponents though. We haven't even really seen Gaudreau with Fantilli yet! They might be dominant together.
I think thats what Vincent is scared :sarcasm:

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
Oddly, after my rant about Johnny the other night, I think I might agree? While he isn't the type of build-around-me guy his contract says he is, he was a very good complimentary piece to Tkachuk and Lindholm in Calgary, and if Fantilli grows into a true stud, Johnny might even see 100-point season(s) again.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Since the healthy scratches in late October, he's 13-5-18 in his last 24 games.

Tied for 7th in the league in goals in that time frame with some game named Sidney.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
- Russians consistently churn out elite wingers even when they don't give them ice time, it's obvious that their development model that emphasizes skill training over game time works.
^Quote from the Jarmo thread, that's an interesting notion.

If I had a chance to interview Marchenko, I would ask him about the progress he's made in the last 4 years with puck skills, if he feels there's been remarkable improvement and what he thinks might be the secret behind it. I could be wrong, but when I look at old highlight clips from WJCs and KHL, his stickhandling and agility look alright, but clearly not as sharp and impressive as they have been in the NHL.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I was surprised by the scratches he had early in the season. He looked outstanding in the first couple of games. As such I’m not surprised by how well he’s doing. He’s great.

Let’s just go ahead and consider him our first round pick from 2018 if it makes us feel better about the Foudy pick. Lol. Which, as an aside, looking through that 2018 draft, it was pretty horrible overall after Quinn Hughes got taken.

Reactions: LJ7

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Fun fact: Chinakhov, Voronkov, and Marchenko are all from Siberia. Chinakhov is from Omsk, Marchenko from Barnaul, and Voronkov is from Angarsk (by Irkutsk).

So while we can call them the Russian line, we can also call them the Siberian line. That is infinitely cool to me.
The "Russian" thing didn't go well on twitter, maybe indeed they should better try "Siberian" lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00