Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I really think he is going to hit the ground running, he sounds like he is very focused on being the best NHL player he can:

It was clear to see why St. Petersburg wanted to keep Marchenko. Only 21 years old, he was among their leading scorers, playing and thriving in their top six and showing serious breakout potential as a KHL star. When Marchenko declined to sign the contract, the consequences were immediate. After a game on Oct. 10, his playing time was curtailed dramatically. He barely cleared five minutes in a couple of games and was a healthy scratch on Oct. 17. This continued the rest of the season until it got worse in the spring. Just before the playoffs, Marchenko was sent to the minor leagues, even though he was the club’s fourth-leading goal scorer with 12-8-20 in 39 games.

“I’m a player. I follow orders,” Marchenko said, with some help from agent/interpreter Mark Gandler. “They sent me down. I decided to play my hockey, produce goals, improve myself, develop my game and do the best I can.

“I just wanted to enjoy the game without any negative thoughts.”

Former NHL forward Linden Vey counted Marchenko as a teammate and a friend while they played together most of the last two seasons in St. Petersburg.

“You could tell he was ready to come to North America,” Vey said. “He was always sitting with us import guys (in the KHL) and speaking English around us to get it better at it. He definitely improved a lot.”

There’s also this: SKA St. Petersburg’s home rink, the Ice Palace, has an NHL-size ice surface, not the Olympic-size sheets that many KHL teams and most European leagues use. Thus, Marchenko won’t have to adjust to a smaller rink, something Blue Jackets rookie Yegor Chinakhov struggled with this season.

“I like both (Olympic) ice and NHL ice,” Marchenko said. “On NHL ice, I can score more. On (Olympic) ice, I play pucks more, use the big corners, make a pass. But I like it better on NHL ice because I like more scoring. The style between the two leagues is a big difference. In Russia, it’s not as fast hockey as the NHL and it’s more defensive. NHL is faster to pucks, both forecheck and backcheck. I played against Canada before (in international tournaments) and I really liked this tempo.”

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Kid seems pretty mature for his age, he's already married and went out of his way to learn English. Given the current climate, if he doesn't stick on the big team and AHL isn't an option then maybe a loan to Sweden would be best.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There’s also this: SKA St. Petersburg’s home rink, the Ice Palace, has an NHL-size ice surface, not the Olympic-size sheets that many KHL teams and most European leagues use. Thus, Marchenko won’t have to adjust to a smaller rink, something Blue Jackets rookie Yegor Chinakhov struggled with this season.

I don't remember hearing anything about this. From my vantage point I think people are too eager to make excuses, sometimes players just need more time to develop. Omsk played on a 28 x 60 rink, which is close to NHL size, and several teams in their division were using NHL size rinks. And Yegor looked about as lost after 50 NHL games as he did after 5. It doesn't seem like there is a rink size problem for him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Kid seems pretty mature for his age, he's already married and went out of his way to learn English. Given the current climate, if he doesn't stick on the big team and AHL isn't an option then maybe a loan to Sweden would be best.
In all fairness, Nikita Filatov spoke english very well too. He just didn't do rebounds. I hope he does well here but we won't know until he steps on the ice with everybody else. For every Panarin coming from the KHL there are probably 3-4 Shipachevs who can't cut it.

Justin Danforth was the 5th leading KHL scorer last season so it is really hard to say what translates well over here and what doesn't. All he can do is try.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Reminder that we’re not talking about global politics here. Please get back to talking about Marchenko.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Reminder that we’re not talking about global politics here. Please get back to talking about Marchenko.
Admittedly it wasn't an analysis of the policy, but you did the right thing, no one knows what could have been next.

But I'm more interested in the second thing. What do you think, could Kirill try to play center (he said he feels very comfortable there)? He has very good hockey vision, skill, could theoretically connect with teammates. There could be players with good defensive skills on the wing. For example, Jenner/Nyquist -- Marchenko -- Bjorkstrand, or he could start on the fourth line to get used to the position like it was with Kuznetsov in Washington, who played winger in Russia.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Admittedly it wasn't an analysis of the policy, but you did the right thing, no one knows what could have been next.

But I'm more interested in the second thing. What do you think, could Kirill try to play center (he said he feels very comfortable there)? He has very good hockey vision, skill, could theoretically connect with teammates. There could be players with good defensive skills on the wing. For example, Jenner/Nyquist -- Marchenko -- Bjorkstrand, or he could start on the fourth line to get used to the position like it was with Kuznetsov in Washington, who played winger in Russia.
I’m okay to try anything. I will say, if he’s comfortable in the center, his teams must not feel the same (or feel he’s good enough to play there) because as far as I know he’s played wing his entire professional life. From his skill set, that I’ve only seen in highlights and maybe a game or two at the world juniors, could work as a center but I’m not sure he has the defensive instinct to do so

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Hearing some of what's going down with Fedotov, I'm really glad this kid left Russia before he couldn't
Has he though? We know he’s signed a contract but is he actually here with an approved visa?
I dont believe he is in the states yet. Though this is a few weeks old..

Marchenko plans to travel to Columbus on July 10 and take part in this summer’s Blue Jackets development camp. He’ll return again in late August in advance of the Traverse City Prospects Tournament and NHL training camp.

His wife, Viktoria, will join him in their new home around the start of the 2022-23 regular season.

“I would love for this to happen as soon as possible,” Marchenko said. “I’ve been preparing for this for four years. My family is prepared. I look forward to being in Columbus.”

Asked if the Blue Jackets have shipped him a No. 86 sweater, Marchenko smiled again.

“No, and that’s good,” he said. “I gotta earn it.”

I will say, every time I read more about this kid, the more excited I get, He seems like he has the drive, work ethic and attitude to excel to go along with his skill set. Hopefully he doesn't have any issues. Does anyone know if he completed his service?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Marchenko won't have any problems. He played in SKA, similar like Kuzmenko, and not in CSKA.

In addition, Fedotov didn't receive a subpoena, so most likely there will be problems for those who did it. Personally, it seems to me that this is a provocation.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
From the Athletic article wrapping up yesterday.

"Asked if he was concerned about his ability to return to the U.S. if he went back to Russia, Marchenko responded: “I would prefer not to answer that.”"

Reactions: Halberdier

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
From the Athletic article wrapping up yesterday.

"Asked if he was concerned about his ability to return to the U.S. if he went back to Russia, Marchenko responded: “I would prefer not to answer that.”"
Sucks that he was asked that. Not only does it put him in a tough spot, but the question was already answered by his choice to stay here.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not to mention whether there is any unspoken concern for family.

Yeah, wasn't this a thing with Panarin? He voiced support for the opponent of Putin and then basically had to take a "leave of absence" from the Rangers for a couple weeks while either getting his family out or securing their safety or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00