Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not that we aren't still bullish on Marchenko, what a difference a month makes as his production has not surprisingly cooled off. Most recent THN article ranks KJ91 as the #10 rookie in the Calder race and Marchenko as the last honorable mention putting him around #20.

The ranking feels random. Power is a huge talent but he isn't put together like Sanderson is, and he's not having a better rookie season. I'd have KJ higher too, he's driving two way results, but it looks like Ferrari is just counting points.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Just a Kirill's English appreciation post, he's learning fast. He's a fearless speaker and getting comfortable stringing together long sentences and long answers now, i.e. communicating more than the minimum. Still plenty of mistakes and whatever but the point is starting to come across quite well. It's great to see.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Just a Kirill's English appreciation post, he's learning fast. He's a fearless speaker and getting comfortable stringing together long sentences and long answers now, i.e. communicating more than the minimum. Still plenty of mistakes and whatever but the point is starting to come across quite well. It's great to see.

I can't imagine how long it would take me to mumble something understandable in Russian to the media. And, I'm really smart! :naughty:

Good on Kirill!

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
English is such a terrible language too, I dont envy people learning it as an adult

It's not that bad and IMO it's way easier than something like German even though they're not all that different. The biggest problem with English is the crazy, completely unpredictable spelling, which often has nothing to do with how the word is actually said. There are so many words you just can't know how they are pronounced without hearing them, so if you learn the language by learning and writing, your speech and listening comprehension may lag way behind. A trip to Scotland will cure that really fast thought, nothing like diving in the deep end :D

Then again if you learn by listening and speaking, that's not an issue, but you might not do well in spelling competitions - and the fact those are even a thing tells you all about how f*cked up the spelling system is!

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
It's not that bad and IMO it's way easier than something like German even though they're not all that different. The biggest problem with English is the crazy, completely unpredictable spelling, which often has nothing to do with how the word is actually said. There are so many words you just can't know how they are pronounced without hearing them, so if you learn the language by learning and writing, your speech and listening comprehension may lag way behind. A trip to Scotland will cure that really fast thought, nothing like diving in the deep end :D

Then again if you learn by listening and speaking, that's not an issue, but you might not do well in spelling competitions - and the fact those are even a thing tells you all about how f*cked up the spelling system is!
So if CBJ and SJS tie for last place, I call for an English spelling competition between Kirill Marchenko and Kevin Lebanc to determine last place, loser wins last place. Who says no?

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It was clear since their first few games, he is a better fit with JG than Laine is.

I’m not the most optimistic CBJ fan on these boards but I just have a weird feeling that Marchenko could be a really special player.
I feel most value Marchenko higher than I do but Gaudreau-Johnson-Marchenko could be a fun line for a long time

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m very upset with him right now but he looks to be the part of the long term Bjorkstrand replacement.

Reactions: EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel most value Marchenko higher than I do but Gaudreau-Johnson-Marchenko could be a fun line for a long time

I could see Marchenko being a 40 goal guy playing with those two.

Beyond the goals though, what else are people looking for that make them think "special player"? Maybe if he gets stronger and becomes a bull on skates. That would be fun.

I’m very upset with him right now but he looks to be the part of the long term Bjorkstrand replacement.

He can replace the goals for sure.

But no one has replaced Bjorkstrand's play driving. This club could really use some guys who relish winning pucks on the wall. I can't stand how soft they are.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I could see Marchenko being a 40 goal guy playing with those two.

Beyond the goals though, what else are people looking for that make them think "special player"? Maybe if he gets stronger and becomes a bull on skates. That would be fun.

He can replace the goals for sure.

But no one has replaced Bjorkstrand's play driving. This club could really use some guys who relish winning pucks on the wall. I can't stand how soft they are.
I don’t think marchenko will be a play driver but I think he has the ability to win puck battles on the walls

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Can anyone point me to some video of Kirill showing off his skating skills? My impression has been that he has good speed north/south, and has enough agility to step through defences to find open ice. Most highlight packages just focus on goals and are slowed down, though, so you don’t get a real sense of the player’s movement on the ice.

Thanks in advance for any help!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Can anyone point me to some video of Kirill showing off his skating skills? My impression has been that he has good speed north/south, and has enough agility to step through defences to find open ice. Most highlight packages just focus on goals and are slowed down, though, so you don’t get a real sense of the player’s movement on the ice.

Thanks in advance for any help!

He doesn't have good speed.

But he's super agile in traffic for a big man.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
He doesn't have good speed.

But he's super agile in traffic for a big man.
I also feel like he is a dog with a bone. When he has the puck on his stick its hard to get It off him and can be very determined to keep the play alive fighting to get the puck back once its been taken from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad