Player Discussion: Kirill Marchenko thread

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I remember something similar being said about Chinakhov. Now most people have forgotten about him. At least it seems so to me. And they have a new favourite guy - Marchenko.

Reactions: thebus88

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I remember something similar being said about Chinakhov. Now most people have forgotten about him. At least it seems so to me. And they have a new favourite guy - Marchenko.
Did people really suggest Chinny to start the season on the top line? I never figured that and don't recall others suggesting that either. Not sure he's forgotten for this year either but recognize he's still young and will likely have to earn his way to the third line.

FTR, I think most of the posters on here are pretty well grounded when it comes to rookie expectations (except for maybe when it comes to Blanks...dude's gonna CRUSH it). Yes just kidding.

• Haha
Reactions: Ippenator

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Did people really suggest Chinny to start the season on the top line? I never figured that and don't recall others suggesting that either. Not sure he's forgotten for this year either but recognize he's still young and will likely have to earn his way to the third line.

FTR, I think most of the posters on here are pretty well grounded when it comes to rookie expectations (except for maybe when it comes to Blanks...dude's gonna CRUSH it). Yes just kidding.
Except @BB88 people didn't suggested Marchenko yet. I'd wait for the preseason, the first games. As I've written before, last season was only Chinakhov's second with the men, he didn't even play in the VHL, which is something like the AHL in Russia.

Reactions: Doggy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Except @BB88 people didn't suggested Marchenko yet. I'd wait for the preseason, the first games. As I've written before, last season was only Chinakhov's second with the men, he didn't even play in the VHL, which is something like the AHL in Russia.

I was replying to a post which speculated Marchenko could be a better fit next to Gaudreau next year vs Laine.

To me that’s not how to build lines or a winner

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I hear ya. I will add one comment. I think it's hard to say Marchenko is the "new favourite guy". Posters here have been excited about him for years waiting for his KHL commitment to end. In fact, in last year's prospect polling Marchenko was #3 and Chinny was #4.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Most people didn’t know who Chinakhov was until June 2020.

We have been able to watch Kirill Marchenko for 4 KHL seasons and 2 WJC post draft… should have been able to see him in the Olympics too if it was not for COVID.

Marchenko NHLPe has been between 40-65 for the last 3 seasons (10th, 7th, 5th in scoring). Chinakhov had 1 season at 55 NHLPe (13th on his team).

@BB88
He’s not a top line guy right now.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You said Marchenko is passing Laine in people’s rankings. I wasn’t sure what rankings those were, so I asked.

I mean for some it seems like anyone is better option for top line than Laine.

But he’s not the point.
Marchenko as of right now isn’t even a quaranteed NHL player and he could/should be put the pressure to produce on the top line already?

2nd or 3rd line in more sheltered role is better for Marchenko and the team in my view for multiple reasons

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

We have been able to watch Kirill Marchenko for 4 KHL seasons and 2 WJC post draft… should have been able to see him in the Olympics too if it was not for COVID.

Marchenko NHLPe has been between 40-65 for the last 3 seasons (10th, 7th, 5th in scoring). Chinakhov had 1 season at 55 NHLPe (13th on his team).

@BB88
Now think back to the season since rookie camp, the Traverse Tournament.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I mean for some it seems like anyone is better option for top line than Laine.

But he’s not the point.
Marchenko as of right now isn’t even a quaranteed NHL player and he could/should be put the pressure to produce on the top line already?

2nd or 3rd line in more sheltered role is better for Marchenko and the team in my view for multiple reasons
That's all true and fair, but I think the summer is perfect time to be hyped for the new guys. Every now and then some of them will have a borderline miraculous season anyway.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's all true and fair, but I think the summer is perfect time to be hyped for the new guys. Every now and then some of them will have a borderline miraculous season anyway.

I hope he does well and explodes and it’s definitely a good thing when people are hyped but at the same time I don’t want the kids to be put in bad positions for them

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I hope he does well and explodes and it’s definitely a good thing when people are hyped but at the same time I don’t want the kids to be put in bad positions for them
The ugly other side of the hype coin seems to be the type of people that uses most of their time and energy bashing those poor souls that don't meet their hype.

Reactions: Marioesque

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Traverse city means little to nothing.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make with me about at this point.
I had in mind that it was from Traverse that part of the fanbase saw him, figuratively speaking, as NHL star.
I don't know what the future holds. But for me, we should always be careful.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I had in mind that it was from Traverse that part of the fanbase saw him, figuratively speaking, as NHL star.
I don't know what the future holds. But for me, we should always be careful.
1659363822219.png

• Haha
Reactions: Ippenator

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I like Marchenko a lot, but there's a bit of shiny new toy syndrome going on with him that's causing him to be a bit overhyped. Same thing happened last year with Chinakhov, and he had some understandable rookie struggles. Now he's massively underhyped.

Probably in the minority here, but I'm higher on Chinakhov. The shot is special, he strikes me as a potential 30+ goal scorer and I think he'll add a physical edge to his game and eventually become a PK threat as well. He had some rookie struggles last year, but he's the kind of guy who could really bang the door down in camp and have a monster offseason development-wise.

I'm not saying Yegor will start the year in Columbus (the contract math makes him a likely AHL guy to start) but I think by the end of the year, he'll be playing higher in the lineup than Marchenko.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

@BB88
I frankly don't put much stock in NHLPe; it doesn't seem like a very reliable predictor in my experience.

That said, I get why there's more than a little hype for Marchenko.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Why did I think he was a RW. So Paddy, Johnny Jacket, KM86 and Gus all are natural LWs?

Reactions: Halberdier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad