Post-Game Talk: King's Game - Jets lose 4-3.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Its all Petan's fault they lost!!! Blame Petan

Funny how one guy who gets limited minutes with bad linemates is so despised around here.

Why the Jets keep him still is beyond me. Maurice destroys his confidence every time and he needs a change badly just to try salvage a career. For the Jets, deal him now while you can still get something for him, waiting doesn't do the team any good.

Or are they afraid to deal him?
Certainly not all on Petan, but you need to bring a lot to the table if you take a selfish and undisciplined penalty.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reasons why the Jet's lost vs LA.

1) To many stupid penalties - after the Jet's had cleaned this area up a lot, I believe they took 5 tonite, and 2 goals were scored by LA on their Power Play- - we can't afford that.

2) Helle- let in 2 soft goals right between the pads-- he should be closing them up !!! He has created wins for us this year, but I didn't think he played well tonite-"soft goals" It just pisses me off when a gaolie let's in goals between the pads-but up high, or low corners--I don't mind that -- they are human.

Note - I believe Helle's Save Percentage was .867 % tonite-- "just not good enough" !!!

All in all - the Jet's dominated the 1st period -- LA the 2nd, and about even in the 3rd.

The other "difference maker"--was I thought LA's goalie was great !!!
Also, one goal against just at the end of a PK. 3 goals against due to penalties. If the Jets stayed out of the box, Kings would have generated very little in offense.

Reactions: Festinator and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Also, one goal against just at the end of a PK. 3 goals against due to penalties. If the Jets stayed out of the box, Kings would have generated very little in offense.

Totally agree with Whileee here - as he said, we also had another goal against toward the end of our 3rd penalty. The Jets's were already hemmed in their zone, when our man got out of the box. So it's like 3 short handed goals scored against us. This should not happen.

Other than their Power Plays, LA didn't pose a huge threat to us - "we gave the game to them."-allowed 3 short handed goals. ( like last years team)

We're going to have to be much more disciplined if we want to go deep in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
The following players were absolutely dreadful tonight:

Hendricks
Ehlers
Myers (I honestly hate watching him trying to make a pass in the defensive zone)
Petan

PK getting lit up at this point is not that bad if it gets Hendricks off of it for the playoffs.

Laine still not accomplishing much at 5 on 5. Nice goal on with the goalie pulled but not a great night for him either. Failed to connect on passes, he also needs to get the puck in deep if he gets it across the red line. Cannot afford those kinds of turnovers. Also has to stop trying to deke players out, it almost never works for him and results in a turnover or loss of possession at best most of the time.

Great games by Scheifele and Wheeler. Enstrom easily the best D.
I thought Laine played a solid two way game tonight. Many of the times Laine tries to dangle in the offensive zone is when he is all alone, least he tries to do something with the puck instead of skating to the blue line and dumping it in. Dumping it in when everybody else is changing is basically turning it over. Also if every player were to dump it in, it becomes quite easy to defend against as there no variety in offensive break ins. As well, you don’t want to take the creativity away from high skilled forwards early in their career, just like Noel did when he was coaching.

Few thoughts:
The second line plays great together but they need to be broken up as the all play a similar game. They all are playmakers and need more of a pure goal scorer on that line. Also, when playoffs come along this line while get eaten alive as the size of the line is realitively small compared to playoff caliber teams.
The teams pitfull the last couple of years was taking too many penalities , hopefully this was a one game occurance but they have to stay out of the box.
I’ve notice that the defence have been pinching and cheating recently in these last couple of games, especially Myers. There is too much scoring power up front that some of this cheating isn’t necessary. The team played there best stretch of hockey when the defence was structured solid defensively.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Petan took a selfish penalty, beyond that he wasn't any different than a number of Jets tonight, especially given who his C was. He'll go back down, that's a given but some people put too much emphasis on his play.

Seriously, what's Roslovic been other than a slightly larger Brandon Tanev? Except playing with top 6 QOT. I like the kid and think he'll be a solid NHL player but they need more consistent offense from him if he's going to hold down that spot.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Had the privilege of sitting next to George Maneluk at tonights game, a teammate of Chevy's in Brandon, a fellow draft pick of the Islanders in the late 80's & an active goaltending coach with LA's Darcy Kuemper as a client.

Really nice guy with some good insight throughout the game. I managed to return the favour at two goals down, got his attention when I called Laine to come off the bench to join the attack as the 6th man & score within seconds. Face-off, Laine goal. "Nice call!" he stated.

A born Winnipegger now living in Saskatoon, he cheered hard for the Jets all night...that is until with the goalie pulled he screamed "go for it" with 30 seconds on the clock.

Bucky was pulled & an open net presented itself for his client to shoot for. Kuemper rattled the puck around the boards instead.

"I'd have went for it" he said. "All goalies want to score".

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Seriously, what's Roslovic been other than a slightly larger Brandon Tanev? Except playing with top 6 QOT. I like the kid and think he'll be a solid NHL player but they need more consistent offense from him if he's going to

Let me know when Brandon Tanev has the vision to execute the give and go pass with Little the other night.

Reactions: 204hockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan took a selfish penalty, beyond that he wasn't any different than a number of Jets tonight, especially given who his C was. He'll go back down, that's a given but some people put too much emphasis on his play.

Seriously, what's Roslovic been other than a slightly larger Brandon Tanev? Except playing with top 6 QOT. I like the kid and think he'll be a solid NHL player but they need more consistent offense from him if he's going to hold down that spot.
I thought Petan played well, other than the selfish penalty. But it takes a very good game to offset a really bad penalty in a close game.

I'm not clear how you see Roslovic and Tanev as being the same, other than quickness and aggressiveness on the puck. Roslovic's skill with the puck is so much higher than Tanev's.

Roslovic is #3 on the Jets for 5v5 points/60 at 2.33 (behind only Connor and Perreault). Tanev is 13th at 1.35.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Jets looked fantastic in the first period and should have had a 3- 0 lead , penalties killed all of their momentum . I agree with Ducky10 about Hendricks he is in position on the PK but has no ability whatsoever to beat a opposition player to a loose puck . Petan , wow , you got hit with a good check and slash the guys stick out of his hands :shakehead that was a minor league play . To me that was a turning point in the game , don't get me wrong the Jets didn't play very well but that penalty gave the Kings all of the momentum . If Tanev is ready for Friday , the Moose will get Petan back .

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Out goalied and out played

The jets could have had 6 in the first if not for Kuemper.

It seemed to deflate them. LA made adjustments and bobs your uncle.

And stay out of the penalty box. Especially if you decided to stop killing penalties now.

Last edited:
Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Close game, good road game by the Kings, not too disappointed by it. PK lost the game for us, can’t allow 3 short handed against if we want to win. Helle didn’t make the big stops needed either. I really think the PK should pressure the puck carrier more, but it has worked pretty well even without this season.

Last night I had a dream that I was in the rink and opened Helle’s mask, and he was mummified, then his head fell off. I think I watch too much hockey.

Reactions: RedBar

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well.. If anything.. This game showed me 2 things.

1. Wanna beat the Jets? Clog up the neutral zone.. Maurice has no answers to that

2. Really need to upgrade 4th line Winger and either an upgrade on Copp or Hendricks .
Except we do have an answer for it and have won several times this season in games like this. You need to stay patient and be content to play a low event game and win 2-1. We have a couple track meets and it takes a bit of time for us to adjust back. Too many penalties and a off night by Helly and we still only lost by a goal. You can blame it on Maurice if you want which has some merit, but I'd put more of it on the players for not staying disciplined. Only the 1st line truly adapted and heavily tilted the ice in the Jets favour even against the Kopitar line and Doughty on the backend. All 3 were over 70% CF with very tough matchups. Maurice could have shortened the bench more but he already rides Wheeler and Scheifele pretty hard. Chiarot and Kulikov also struggled.

This game showed me we could use another vet forward willing to play a patient game and an upgrade on Chiarot on LD. But getting Lowry and Trouba back and letting Kulikov move back over also accomplishes that. Getting a backup back from IR would also be nice.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets owned the Kings in the first but stopped skating and started reaching with their sticks in the second period for some unknown reason? Weird game that took me about 5 minutes to get over when it was done. Bump in the road on the way to the playoffs.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Goodbye powerhouse. It was fun while it lasted.

Moved my post to the roster discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: hudster

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
6-3-1 is almost exactly average, given that our average winning chance was around 65% versus the 10 teams we faced.
The injured can't get back soon enough. I understand Tanev is likely to be ready to be back Friday. I know just who I want to see scratched to make room for him too.

Yes, I agree. The sky is not falling.

I think we pickup a backup goalie soon too. Helle needs a game off.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I expected Petan to be included in a trade at the deadline but his slash probably ended that possibility. Scouts would have been putting an "X" through his name after that one. If Petan isn't dealt it will not be because the Jets are afraid to deal him.

For the Jets, deal him now while you can still get something for him, waiting doesn't do the team any good.

Or are they afraid to deal him?

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I thought Petan played well, other than the selfish penalty. But it takes a very good game to offset a really bad penalty in a close game.

I'm not clear how you see Roslovic and Tanev as being the same, other than quickness and aggressiveness on the puck. Roslovic's skill with the puck is so much higher than Tanev's.

Roslovic is #3 on the Jets for 5v5 points/60 at 2.33 (behind only Connor and Perreault). Tanev is 13th at 1.35.
So is Petan's. I'm partly playing Devil's advocate with Roslo but partly what your talking about is a bit of observer bias tbh. Roslo has spent most of his time playing with top 6 players, I'd expect his 5v5 p/60 to be higher. I know damn well he's more skilled than Tanev but so is Petan.

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Let me know when Brandon Tanev has the vision to execute the give and go pass with Little the other night.
Let me know when Brandon Tanev has the opportunity with offensive players like Brian Little and Matthieu Perreault.

Like I said above, Roslo gets a lot of love for his speed and aggressiveness but he's been given a very good opportunity in who he's playing with. I'd like to see him find the net a bit more is all.

Reactions: sipowicz

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Even if we lost we did a lot of really good things on the forecheck. We forced a ton of turnovers against a patient team. We just came out on the wrong side tonight.

Reactions: Ducky10

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Didn't bury them in the 1st, took most of the 2nd and 3rd off, took too many penalties, and played poor on the PK.

Not a recipe for success.

Team needs to shake it off and move to the next one.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
So is Petan's. I'm partly playing Devil's advocate with Roslo but partly what your talking about is a bit of observer bias tbh. Roslo has spent most of his time playing with top 6 players, I'd expect his 5v5 p/60 to be higher. I know damn well he's more skilled than Tanev but so is Petan.

Yep. Also, Hendy was sloooowwwwww last night, and Armia does seem to be playing through something. Whoever the winger is on that line is going to be the main driver, and despite the penalty, Petan was skating like a demon all night, as he has over the past few games. Most nights, a PP isn’t a guaranteed goal.

They’ll bounce back. My main concern is fatigue from all the injuries and several players having to play above themselves. PoMo uses his teams up early, IMO.

Reactions: Ducky10

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Petan’s penalty really irked me. It reminded me of an early season penalty that Dano took in terms of the stupidity of it.

It’s no wonder these dregs can’t secure a roster spot long-term.

I have been watching Petan since his call-up, hoping he “arrives”. I’m rather dissappointed in his play.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We haven't had to play a patient game in a while I guess. We used to have an answer for these types of games, where we would patiently play a defensive game and wait for chances. Maybe it was the 10 games at home, who knows, but we certainly can play and win that type of game. I'm sure there will be more focus on that going forward.

I smiled a few times at Laine tonight. IMO he keeps improving his weaknesses almost every game. I think he got every puck out of his own end last night (something that can't be said about almost anyone else last night). He also had a couple of very good zone entries but he had no help so tried to make something happen, and won a lot of board battles. My favorite of the night for Laine was him going into a corner with Doughty and using his size to get the puck from him carrying it out. He's getting better at this pretty much every game. Second favorite was the backcheck where he stole the puck from behind whoever it was in the slot with a unobstructed shot.

Both Connor and Roslovic are something special. It's hard to believe how young and inexperienced they are sometimes. Very very quick and smart players. I sure hope we don't use either as trade bait.

Scheifele and Wheeler are certainly high event players. They giveth and they almost taketh away. Thankfully they are offensively gifted, because they sure turned the puck over in dangerous places last night, but we came out on the right side of each of them.

We are going to lose some games between now and the end of the season. This one doesn't worry me because I know we can play that type of game and win, and the number of stick penalties were an anomaly for this season. We won't see that very often.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Good game for the Jets in the message sending aspect and hopefully they got the message.... This is exactly what is going to happen to you in the playoffs if you take parts of the game off and take too many penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad