Post-Game Talk: King's Game - Jets lose 4-3.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Good game for the Jets in the message sending aspect and hopefully they got the message.... This is exactly what is going to happen to you in the playoffs if you take parts of the game off and take too many penalties.

Yes, this is a very good learning experience and just at the right time.

Reactions: Jets2point0

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Let me know when Brandon Tanev has the opportunity with offensive players like Brian Little and Matthieu Perreault.

Like I said above, Roslo gets a lot of love for his speed and aggressiveness but he's been given a very good opportunity in who he's playing with. I'd like to see him find the net a bit more is all.

I agree if Jack keeps eating “top 6” minutes we will want him to be a bit more productive but he is only at his 18th game in the NHL this season and has an abundance of talent so I am not concerned.

Reactions: Jet and Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I agree if Jack keeps eating “top 6” minutes we will want him to be a bit more productive but he is only at his 18th game in the NHL this season and has an abundance of talent so I am not concerned.
Me either

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Yep. Also, Hendy was sloooowwwwww last night, and Armia does seem to be playing through something.
Seems so, but last night he was pretty darn good. Fast and aggressive. Petan also had decent game until that penalty.

Roslovic is new and exciting young player with great aggre&speed, so of course he's the "thing" now. Tanev vol2. Wait month and the fuss is over.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Seems so, but last night he was pretty darn good. Fast and aggressive. Petan also had decent game until that penalty.

Roslovic is new and exciting young player with great aggre&speed, so of course he's the "thing" now. Tanev vol2. Wait month and the fuss is over.
I thought Armia was one of the more combative Jets last night actually. A number of good stick battles along the walls, he was one of the few who matched the Kings intensity in that area.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We coulda shoulda won this one. We are a much better team than the Kings, and unfortunately (not often this year) we got out goalied). Mostly echoing sentiments already in this thread, but:

Hellebuyck needs a back up that PLAYS. He's tired and he is going to be worn out and have no confidence in the playoffs if this continues. Pick someone up at the TD FFS, goalies are cheap.

We need our heft back. Trouba, Lowry and Tanev would have made a gigantic difference in this game. Would love Letestu

I thought the D was decent though Myers - he is so up and down. When he's off he messes up simple plays, yet he still manages to do some pretty great things out there. Buff has to stop taking BAD penalties (good ones I'm ok with).

Speaking of BAD penalties... Petan. I guess at least he is having SOME impact on the game. He can't go back down soon enough for me, waste of space. He isn't even executing offensively anymore.

Laine hasn't been bad, but am I the only one who wants to see him be a bit more dominant out there? Make us gasp with a sick play or use his size more? I know he will get there but he just seems blah to me right now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

You think Jack Roslovic is Tanev 2.0?

Really?

That explains a lot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I thought Armia was one of the more combative Jets last night actually. A number of good stick battles along the walls, he was one of the few who matched the Kings intensity in that area.
I think he's playing through something because he doesn't seem to have that extra gear but he was very engaged. It's been interesting to see Joel's transformation with the Jets. He's one of those guys that gets that he might not be able to stick in the role his skillset suggests, so he is ensuring he does other things well so he can fill a role. Guys like Petan and Dano don't get that.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
We coulda shoulda won this one. We are a much better team than the Kings, and unfortunately (not often this year) we got out goalied). Mostly echoing sentiments already in this thread, but:

Hellebuyck needs a back up that PLAYS. He's tired and he is going to be worn out and have no confidence in the playoffs if this continues. Pick someone up at the TD FFS, goalies are cheap.

We need our heft back. Trouba, Lowry and Tanev would have made a gigantic difference in this game. Would love Letestu

I thought the D was decent though Myers - he is so up and down. When he's off he messes up simple plays, yet he still manages to do some pretty great things out there. Buff has to stop taking BAD penalties (good ones I'm ok with).

Speaking of BAD penalties... Petan. I guess at least he is having SOME impact on the game. He can't go back down soon enough for me, waste of space. He isn't even executing offensively anymore.

Laine hasn't been bad, but am I the only one who wants to see him be a bit more dominant out there? Make us gasp with a sick play or use his size more? I know he will get there but he just seems blah to me right now.

I want to see Laine doninate with physical play but I think we need to wait 3-4 years for it to happen with consistency. Until then we’ll see increasing flashes though.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
as odd as this sounds, other than his goals, his season's been forgettable.

btw, great sig. lol.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That’s how it is for most of the snipers. What would have Brett Hull’s seasons been really remembered for without him scoring loads of goals?
I don't think Brett Hull = Patrik Laine, though.

I don't want to take away from what he did, but Hull pretty much invented parking himself in that quiet spot and just firing one timers and slappers. He had a very heavy shot, a whippy stick and a quick release. Other than that, he was pretty unremarkable.

Patrik Laine has an incredible shot, obviously, but he is far, far more talented than Brett Hull. That's why I expect more from him. He was far more dynamic last year (and I know that is partly due to the team developing him as a 2 way player).

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
We`ve covered off pretty well why we lost last night - but the question is, what should we learn from that game?
Certainly we can expect that teams in the playoff will resort ever more to not so subtle interference so as to slow up our forecheck and buy themselves time. It absolutely was a crime the way the Kings used l body/stick interference in the area from goalline out to the hashmarks so as to slow pursuit by our guys.We are unlikely to see any change in the way the zebras call the game, so change will have to come in our willingness to fight through this crap and an increase in our willingness to "battle hard". Whether we have the players to take up this challenge and play with more intensity has yet to be seen...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I don't think Brett Hull = Patrik Laine, though.

I don't want to take away from what he did, but Hull pretty much invented parking himself in that quiet spot and just firing one timers and slappers. He had a very heavy shot, a whippy stick and a quick release. Other than that, he was pretty unremarkable.

Patrik Laine has an incredible shot, obviously, but he is far, far more talented than Brett Hull. That's why I expect more from him. He was far more dynamic last year (and I know that is partly due to the team developing him as a 2 way player).

I agree (and I hated B Hull), but he was a a genius at finding open space, and n underrated setup man later on, and did grow his game a bit. Actually, Pate's late goal in the Florida game reminded me quite a bit of later BH. No question that he's a more complete player already. PoMo would have had Hull on the 4th line from Day 10, IMO.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan’s penalty really irked me. It reminded me of an early season penalty that Dano took in terms of the stupidity of it.

It’s no wonder these dregs can’t secure a roster spot long-term.

I have been watching Petan since his call-up, hoping he “arrives”. I’m rather dissappointed in his play.
He's been quite good over the 7 games he's been up aside from the penalties. Sheltered minutes, maybe but his ES CF% is 55.84, HDCF% is 73.33%(!), GF% 75% (3-1 = +2). Not too shabby for a guy getting 8 minutes a night on the 4th line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So is Petan's. I'm partly playing Devil's advocate with Roslo but partly what your talking about is a bit of observer bias tbh. Roslo has spent most of his time playing with top 6 players, I'd expect his 5v5 p/60 to be higher. I know damn well he's more skilled than Tanev but so is Petan.
Roslovic's p/60 is higher than Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine and Ehlers. They play with good players, too. Roslovic is the real deal.

Reactions: winnipegger

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
He's been quite good over the 7 games he's been up aside from the penalties. Sheltered minutes, maybe but his ES CF% is 55.84, HDCF% is 73.33%(!), GF% 75% (3-1 = +2). Not too shabby for a guy getting 8 minutes a night on the 4th line.
Look buddy I've decided I don't like him. So quit supplying evidence that doesn't support that he sucks, because TLDR;

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Roslovic's p/60 is higher than Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine and Ehlers. They play with good players, too. Roslovic is the real deal.

We're comparing him to Scheif and Wheels now?

It's been 18 games, I'm not convinced he's a full time top 6 player at this stage. To quote Wheeler, let's pump the brakes a little. His talent is evident, I can see that, I just find it interesting how much love he gets relative to other players based on his playing style.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

It's been 18 games, I'm not convinced he's a full time top 6 player at this stage. To quote Wheeler, let's pump the brakes a little. His talent is evident, I can see that, I just find it interesting how much love he gets relative to other players based on his playing style.
I'm citing his stats. You claimed it was due to linemates. I showed that his production was good, even for the quality of linemates. I'm not comparing him to Scheif and Wheeler, I'm comparing him to Tanev, as you did. He is closer to Perreault than he is to Tanev, though all three of them share the similarity of being fast and aggressive on the puck and good at forcing turnovers. That's where the comparison with Tanev ends, in my opinion.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

He's the Petantidote.

JK -- I like Roslovic but given the choice between keeping him or Trade Block O'Connor I take KC every time, without blinking, though will be interesting to watch Rosie develop.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm citing his stats. You claimed it was due to linemates. I showed that his production was good, even for the quality of linemates. I'm not comparing him to Scheif and Wheeler, I'm comparing him to Tanev, as you did. He is closer to Perreault than he is to Tanev, though all three of them share the similarity of being fast and aggressive on the puck and good at forcing turnovers. That's where the comparison with Tanev ends, in my opinion.

His QOT has benefited him greatly, you're comparing him to the 3 main line drivers on this team and claiming that his production is just as good as theirs regardless? Those other 3 produce at those rates away from Roslo, I highly doubt it would work the other way. My comparison to Tanev is that if you put Roslo in the same position as him, I doubt you would see much more production, not that Tanev is more skilled than him. I was also talking about Petan, who gets crapped on regularly, swap places with him and Roslo right now and we'd likely see better production out of Petan.

I like Roslo, a lot, but I don't see him as a guy making his teammates around him better. Small sample and not too many splits to really assess for sure though.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Agree he's been fine but that isn't good enuff for this lineup and that stupid penalty last night isn't going to help his case. I like him but with this year's depth development, it's best he find a place with another club. Sucks cuz I was hoping to see Laine/Petan/Fly at some point.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
His QOT has benefited him greatly, you're comparing him to the 3 main line drivers on this team and claiming that his production is just as good as theirs regardless? Those other 3 produce at those rates away from Roslo, I highly doubt it would work the other way. My comparison to Tanev is that if you put Roslo in the same position as him, I doubt you would see much more production, not that Tanev is more skilled than him. I was also talking about Petan, who gets crapped on regularly, swap places with him and Roslo right now and we'd likely see better production out of Petan.

I like Roslo, a lot, but I don't see him as a guy making his teammates around him better. Small sample and not too many splits to really assess for sure though.
I agree you would see better production out of Petan. I disagree with notion that they are equal. Put Copp with Wheeler and Chef his numbers go up but we are not saying Copp is as good as farm boy.Roslo was also better than Petan on the farm hauling hay stacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad