Post-Game Talk: King's Game - Jets lose 4-3.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
His QOT has benefited him greatly, you're comparing him to the 3 main line drivers on this team and claiming that his production is just as good as theirs regardless? Those other 3 produce at those rates away from Roslo, I highly doubt it would work the other way. My comparison to Tanev is that if you put Roslo in the same position as him, I doubt you would see much more production, not that Tanev is more skilled than him. I was also talking about Petan, who gets crapped on regularly, swap places with him and Roslo right now and we'd likely see better production out of Petan.

I like Roslo, a lot, but I don't see him as a guy making his teammates around him better. Small sample and not too many splits to really assess for sure though.
I think Roslovic makes his teammates better. I'm trying to be objective. Perhaps some graphic analyses will illustrate...

WPG

Here's another. Just about every player is better with than without Roslovic...

rosloja97

Here's Petan...

petanni95

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I don't think Brett Hull = Patrik Laine, though.

I don't want to take away from what he did, but Hull pretty much invented parking himself in that quiet spot and just firing one timers and slappers. He had a very heavy shot, a whippy stick and a quick release. Other than that, he was pretty unremarkable.

Patrik Laine has an incredible shot, obviously, but he is far, far more talented than Brett Hull. That's why I expect more from him. He was far more dynamic last year (and I know that is partly due to the team developing him as a 2 way player).
i'd argue that Laine had a better rookie year than 2nd year.
a lot less dazzle. poorer puck control. less ability to dominate 1 on 1.
still bad at proper zone breakout passes.

i see few to no spots where he's elevated his game.

also, the poster comparing Hull to Laine is comparing a 1990's style of play to a 2018 style of play. guys like Hull had 1 dimension and, nowadays, you arguably need more than that

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Roslovic makes his teammates better. I'm trying to be objective. Perhaps some graphic analyses will illustrate...

WPG

Here's another. Just about every player is better with than without Roslovic...

rosloja97

Here's Petan...

petanni95
I don't think the sample sizes here are enough for these to have any meaning at all.

Their most/least common linemates are quite different too: Petan's out there mostly with Armia, Hendricks, Kulikov, and Chiarot (>30 minutes). Roslo's out there mostly with Wheeler, Laine, Myers, Buff and Morrissey (>60 minutes). Petan is almost never out there with Wheeler, Little, Connor, Perreault or Laine (< 5 minutes). Roslo is almost never out with Tanev, Armia, Matthias, or Lowry (>5 minutes). Neither is out much with Scheifele or Ehlers (>5 minutes)

I suspect that the charts would look quite different if you handed each guy the other's icetime and linemates.

Either way, you can't look at, for example, Perreault's Petan WOWY and draw any valid conclusions - it's based on 2:12 of icetime together (probably in the middle of line changes). Same with Schiefele's Roslo WOWY - that covers 3.5 minutes of icetime over 18 games.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Its all Petan's fault they lost!!! Blame Petan

Funny how one guy who gets limited minutes with bad linemates is so despised around here.

Why the Jets keep him still is beyond me. Maurice destroys his confidence every time and he needs a change badly just to try salvage a career. For the Jets, deal him now while you can still get something for him, waiting doesn't do the team any good.

Or are they afraid to deal him?

I never said it was his fault they lost but he will be the one that comes out when tanev comes back...which was the question I answered.

Also, hes not worth anything on his own. Hes got to be a extra piece. In his own, you couldnt trade him for any roster guy on the jest right now.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
6 3 1 homestand at this time of year is not very good. We do miss Troubs and Lowry. It really shows against the heavy teams. Ehlers played scared - doesn't bode well for his game in the playoffs. Gramps has had some somewhat decent games recently but tonight he was a joke. He looked like he doesn't belong in the NHL. Petan penalty stupidity off the chart.

I am getting worried about Helle. We need to start to work somebody into the rotation even if it may cost us a game or two.

Can't the Jets just hire his goalie coach and keep him nearby ;)

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
It looked worse in person and a waste of money to go!

These guys won’t be good in the playoffs play like that.

These crappy displays are happening to often now lately.

Next 3 games will be huge tests and monumental in the standings.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
No problem with the end result tonight. We need a few more reminders of what playoff hockey in the West will be all about. There will be very few 6-1 and 7-2 track meets where players get to pad stats. B2B in STL and Dallas this weekend should start ramping up the pressure a little more. And I think tonight gets Chevy leaning a little more towards a TD deal.

I doubt it regarding Chevy

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Next 3 games against teams that like to muck it up, forwards on this team need to finish there checks on the fore check keep opposition on there toes, Petans days on this team are numbered and Armia has all but disappeared, have to find somebody that can play with Ehlers and Laine or split them up.

Armia is a one strange cat. He’s a rock star 1 of every 10 games! He’s like E Kane but isn’t nearly as fast and controversial.

I’d trade him away in a package and wouldnt blink

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
I never said it was his fault they lost but he will be the one that comes out when tanev comes back...which was the question I answered.

Also, hes not worth anything on his own. Hes got to be a extra piece. In his own, you couldnt trade him for any roster guy on the jest right now.

True, you're only likely to get a draft pick for him which is better than nothing, like the Leafs did with Soshnikov. You get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, take it.

I'm just saying the sooner he's unloaded, it benefits all parties. Longer Jets wait, the less of any return they get. Much like what happened with Burmistrov, and lately Dano who is worthless on the market now.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I don’t understand the Petan bashing. Maybe bashing is too strong of a word but I’m finally seeing things in him that I like. I’ve been a fairly strong critic about his style of play but in my opinion he’s finally starting to do things the right way. Sure he took a stupid penalty but which other Jet hasn’t? He’s finally playing more agressively and is actually starting to show some decent speed. He’s finally changing his game in the way he should have a couple years ago.
And small guys most of the time just take longer.
I’m actually encouraged by what I see.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We're comparing him to Scheif and Wheels now?

It's been 18 games, I'm not convinced he's a full time top 6 player at this stage. To quote Wheeler, let's pump the brakes a little. His talent is evident, I can see that, I just find it interesting how much love he gets relative to other players based on his playing style.

He likely isn't full time
I can't see Ehlers / Laine on the third for an extended period.
Something tells me the 2nd line is going to get a lot of different looks before April

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don’t understand the Petan bashing. Maybe bashing is too strong of a word but I’m finally seeing things in him that I like. I’ve been a fairly strong critic about his style of play but in my opinion he’s finally starting to do things the right way. Sure he took a stupid penalty but which other Jet hasn’t? He’s finally playing more agressively and is actually starting to show some decent speed. He’s finally changing his game in the way he should have a couple years ago.
I agree. I wish he didn't take that penalty for his sake, but I've been impressed and encouraged by his play recently.

Packofwolves

Nov 5, 2017
Our Jets are very successful because of their drafts
why are we worrying about Petan. The only problem I see is
we wont be able to keep all our Nhl players because of numbers.
Petan will properly be a good Nhl Player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think the sample sizes here are enough for these to have any meaning at all.

Their most/least common linemates are quite different too: Petan's out there mostly with Armia, Hendricks, Kulikov, and Chiarot (>30 minutes). Roslo's out there mostly with Wheeler, Laine, Myers, Buff and Morrissey (>60 minutes). Petan is almost never out there with Wheeler, Little, Connor, Perreault or Laine (< 5 minutes). Roslo is almost never out with Tanev, Armia, Matthias, or Lowry (>5 minutes). Neither is out much with Scheifele or Ehlers (>5 minutes)

I suspect that the charts would look quite different if you handed each guy the other's icetime and linemates.

Either way, you can't look at, for example, Perreault's Petan WOWY and draw any valid conclusions - it's based on 2:12 of icetime together (probably in the middle of line changes). Same with Schiefele's Roslo WOWY - that covers 3.5 minutes of icetime over 18 games.
It's pretty consistent, though.

Reverting back to the eye test, I think Roslovic has been highly effective in every role, and has looked better than Petan ever has. He's also clearly a lot more skilled than Tanev.

I like Petan, but I think he's a notch or two below Roslovic.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree. I wish he didn't take that penalty for his sake, but I've been impressed and encouraged by his play recently.

I wanted to kill him after the penalty but I was also pissed at Connor for his penalty of standing flat footed and reaching out with his stick to slow down a king. Up until Nic got that penalty their line had been doing ok and even got a couple of nice rounds of applause after good shifts.

It's pretty consistent, though.

Reverting back to the eye test, I think Roslovic has been highly effective in every role, and has looked better than Petan ever has. He's also clearly a lot more skilled than Tanev.

I like Petan, but I think he's a notch or two below Roslovic.

I agree with this and Jack plays the type of game that PMo will trust more. Strait lines, hard on the forecheck, more tenacious without the puck and he plays well at speed. I like Nic but I just don’t think he is going to get in the coaches good books and he is competing with younger slightly more talented guys and I fear he will never really get used as well as he might on other teams with less skill in their forwards. Might be time to trade Nic before the draft.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I agree with the Turtle here, as I think Petan has been really coming on lately. So, he took a dumb penalty - "so what." If we had to point out all the stupid penalties that Buff and Wheeler have taken, it would break my old Lloyds calculator trying to add them all up.

If Petan can score in the AHL, and the Canadian Olypic team, and post huge numbers as a junior, you can bet he can still score now. I think he's been a little intimidated playing with the big club, and is trying a little to hard. He's just starting now to play with more freedom and aggression. It also wouldn't hurt if he had some scorers to pass to--like a Kyle Connor.

I fear the Jets will give him away on a low level trade, and get nothing in return for him, and very much regret it afterwards. This is what I think will happen.

I think the Jet's should be patient, and give Petan the time he needs to get himself going, and I believe he will do just that.

Just remember--if you can hit the top and bottom corners of the net in the AHL - you can do it in the NHL. I think Kyle Connor and many others are proof of this.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Well kinda like the Helly bashing last season, great season this year up until about 6-7 games ago, weak couple outings since, not exactly a good game from him last night, he needs to be a lot better!

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
So is the idea of Petan Laine and Ehlers dead?
Hopefully yes. I think that line would be really bad. First of all, Laine and Ehlers should not play at all in the same line, as they have absolutely no chemistry on the ice. But if they after all seriously just have to be on the same line, they absolutely have to have a dynamic center, whom can first of all do great playmaking, but can also be strong with keeping the puck and pretty fierce and good in puck battles.

Petan might have some playmaking capabilities, but with his weak first steps and being weak in puck battles, I can say pretty confidently, that it would be a quite bad line. Especially in their own end. And I very much doubt that there would be enough of offensive chemistry either. Petan is definitely not a dynamic center, so I just don’t see how this would work.

Last edited:

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
finally recouped from hangover from game to post. game changed when petan took his selfish slashing penalty. once they scored i wlda sent him to ahl that moment who does he think he is taking that penalty? doesnt bring anything to the team to be doing that

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You don't send a player down because of one penalty but I'd be playing Dano before Petan unless he is being traded?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Petan's penalty didn't cause the Jets to lose the game but it was a stupid penalty and when you are on the line between NHL and AHL , that's not what a coach wants to see . If a Kings player did something dirty to him , i would cut him some slack but it was a clean check and when you are only getting 8 minutes a game , you just can't do something so stupid .

Reactions: 204hockey and GNP

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Its all Petan's fault they lost!!! Blame Petan

Funny how one guy who gets limited minutes with bad linemates is so despised around here.

Why the Jets keep him still is beyond me. Maurice destroys his confidence every time and he needs a change badly just to try salvage a career. For the Jets, deal him now while you can still get something for him, waiting doesn't do the team any good.

Or are they afraid to deal him?
that one guy who gets limited minutes took the most selfish penalty of the game. and the fact he gets limited minutes is even worse.. hes not hated ppl see his offensive potential they just dont see him beating out any of the top 9 we currently have. and hes a bottom 6 defensive liability therefor shld be looked at being traded to restock pipeline for when current one comes into the league

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Let me know when Brandon Tanev has the opportunity with offensive players like Brian Little and Matthieu Perreault.

Like I said above, Roslo gets a lot of love for his speed and aggressiveness but he's been given a very good opportunity in who he's playing with. I'd like to see him find the net a bit more is all.
his aggressivnes is what wins ppl over. petan has been soft as twoply and it makes him not as easy to cheer for imo at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad