Post-Game Talk: King's Game - Jets lose 4-3.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The worry is that Lowry may come back but only last another game or too before aggravating it again.

Hopefully he comes back as close to 100% as possible.

Sounds like they are being a lot more careful this time around - I had no idea we would be waiting another month (or close to it) for his return.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Well.. If anything.. This game showed me 2 things.

1. Wanna beat the Jets? Clog up the neutral zone.. Maurice has no answers to that

2. Really need to upgrade 4th line Winger and either an upgrade on Copp or Hendricks .

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Forgot all about Carter. The Kings are going to be a handful for whoever they face. I think they will climb into a wildcard spot.

They say that he may start practicing with the team after this road trip which ended tonight, I agree he will do nothing but help them make the playoffs and be a tough opponent for whoever they face,

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
The Jets looks lost every time teams clog the middle and take our speed away. I think we lost every game anybody plays this way against us. About a time coaching staff finds plan B for this type of games, just Lowry isn't good enough.
CSW - had few chances, but couldn't finish. Shiefs looked little shaky, Wheels not focused enough
PLR - not the best game from this guys as well. Roslo just like Connor on top line was affected by veterans having not a good game
ECL - Not sure why people are hard on Laine thought he had an excellent game, especially defensively, by far the best player on this line today and one of few better Jets today as well. Ehlers proly will want to forget this game asap. Copp was not good
PHA - overall bad game from fourth line. Armia looks lost, Petan should not play for Jets anymore

Surprised to see Enstrom doing well in a game like this. Myers was not good, Kulikov made few mistakes (4-th goal and break-away are on him). Probably his worst game as a Jet. Chiarot was Chiarot, Buff was ok, JoMo didn't have a good game as well.
Bucky looked tired and not sharp enough. We deserved to lose, but like I said coaching staff should do a better job reacting to a game and having Plan B for this type of game

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
6 3 1 homestand at this time of year is not very good.

6-3-1 is almost exactly average, given that our average winning chance was around 65% versus the 10 teams we faced.

We do miss Troubs and Lowry. It really shows against the heavy teams.

The injured can't get back soon enough. I understand Tanev is likely to be ready to be back Friday. I know just who I want to see scratched to make room for him too.

Reactions: kanadalainen

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
6-3-1 is almost exactly average, given that our average winning chance was around 65% versus the 10 teams we faced.

The injured can't get back soon enough. I understand Tanev is likely to be ready to be back Friday. I know just who I want to see scratched to make room for him too.

Petan will be out. Hes done nothing.

Reactions: 204hockey

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Disappointing game but given out injuries and that Kulikov gave up two quality chances that ended up in the back of the net I'm not going to stress.

Kulikov rarely does this and we only lost by a goal. When Trouba and Lowry get back I think we win a game like this.

Helle does need a rest. I don't want to play the Kings in the playoffs but we can beat them. Type of opponent our team needs to learn against.

Reactions: GNP

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They say that he may start practicing with the team after this road trip which ended tonight, I agree he will do nothing but help them make the playoffs and be a tough opponent for whoever they face,
Yes but I'd rather short Carter than Trouba Lowry Hutch

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
F*** we take a lot of penalties.

What got into Toby tonite? He was a stud. Buff and Jomo pretty good too.

None of the lines really clicking tonight other than in the 1st and even then we looked a bit off.

Helly turnin into a puckhandler out there?

oh well team's not perfect yet-I can wait

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not getting the whole "heavy" angle, that was far from a physical game. It was a slog fest after the 1st, that's what it was. Kings had way more active sticks and were much harder on the puck, particularly in the 2nd, the Jets didn't bring a high enough battle level most of the night, disappointing. Having said that they had plenty of opportunities to put away 3-4 in the 1st, Kuemper played well, have to hand it to him, Helle wasn't up to par, not sharp enough.

Ehlers wasn't great but am I the only one who saw him set up Laine at least 3-4 times? They had a few opportunities for how horrible they apparently are together. Fact is games like that are largely played below the goal line and that's where that pair is at their weakest. I thought Maurice should have recognized that midway through the 2nd and adjusted things, really should have thrown Perreault together with Laine.

Definitely missed Lowry and Trouba, mainly from a strength along the wall perspective and that both of them are so good at getting body position on guys, which the Jets were pretty poor at tonight. Myers is shockingly bad at this. Trouba also moves the puck a lot quicker, watching Myers pass up quick transition passes in order to lug the puck up the ice makes me want to hit myself. Especially in a game like that, move the puck dummy, all 5 of them are waiting for you between the blue lines ffs. Enstrom and Buff were the only ones interested in moving the puck quickly from the back end. Morrissey jumped up pretty well tonight but he was pretty lost once he got there, a few chances died on his stick,

Hendricks is positionally sound on the PK but he's essentially useless trying to get to a loose puck, that's where he hurts the most. I've probably mentioned it every game but they miss Trouba a lot on the PK. Denying zone entries on the PK is where they are hurting the most lately, that's the cost of Ben Chiarot.

Top line was good tonight, Perreault good again, Enstrom very good, Laine positioned himself defensively pretty well a few times, he's getting better at knowing his responsibilities at least. My streak of not minding Chiarot is over, that's why the Jets need more depth back there come playoff time.

Time to hit the road, this team must be getting a bit stir crazy. Ten game home stands are goofy.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Disappointing game but given out injuries and that Kulikov gave up two quality chances that ended up in the back of the net I'm not going to stress.

Kulikov rarely does this and we only lost by a goal. When Trouba and Lowry get back I think we win a game like this.

Helle does need a rest. I don't want to play the Kings in the playoffs but we can beat them. Type of opponent our team needs to learn against.
I agree we can beat them, they don't worry me a lot. For the most part they are pretty slow and prone to turning the puck over. Had the Jets been able to capitalize more early it might have been a different game.

They need to stay more patient and simplify their play in a game like that though, with a bit more battle as well.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
^ Hendricks positionally sound like a pylon, too bad defending that way on the PK went out about 10 years ago!
He's just doing what he's being asked to do, how was he out of position? Jets gave up two goals on the PP tonight from areas they try to funnel the puck to, that's not on him, he was in his lanes. Problem is, any opportunity to pressure the puck, he can't get there.

Reactions: Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Reasons why the Jet's lost vs LA.

1) To many stupid penalties - after the Jet's had cleaned this area up a lot, I believe they took 5 tonite, and 2 goals were scored by LA on their Power Play- - we can't afford that.

2) Helle- let in 2 soft goals right between the pads-- he should be closing them up !!! He has created wins for us this year, but I didn't think he played well tonite-"soft goals" It just pisses me off when a gaolie let's in goals between the pads-but up high, or low corners--I don't mind that -- they are human.

Note - I believe Helle's Save Percentage was .867 % tonite-- "just not good enough" !!!

All in all - the Jet's dominated the 1st period -- LA the 2nd, and about even in the 3rd.

The other "difference maker"--was I thought LA's goalie was great !!!

Last edited:

redneckjabronie

Nov 17, 2015
Petan will be out. Hes done nothing.

Its all Petan's fault they lost!!! Blame Petan

Funny how one guy who gets limited minutes with bad linemates is so despised around here.

Why the Jets keep him still is beyond me. Maurice destroys his confidence every time and he needs a change badly just to try salvage a career. For the Jets, deal him now while you can still get something for him, waiting doesn't do the team any good.

Or are they afraid to deal him?

Reactions: Aggie204 and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This
Well.. If anything.. This game showed me 2 things.

1. Wanna beat the Jets? Clog up the neutral zone.. Maurice has no answers to that

2. Really need to upgrade 4th line Winger and either an upgrade on Copp or Hendricks .
This game was lost on penalties and the PK. Jets should be able to shut down the Kings and win 2-1 or 3-2, but taking bad penalties gave the Kings the extra scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad