Value of: Kasperi Kapenan+ the 25th pick

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sky-high potential, hasn't got a chance yet to show a full season.
I'd say the Leafs brass value him based on what he could become and teams typically don't share that view so I doubt he'll be traded

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Sky-high potential, hasn't got a chance yet to show a full season.
I'd say the Leafs brass value him based on what he could become and teams typically don't share that view so I doubt he'll be traded
I'm inclined to agree...with the exception of Pittsburgh.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Gardiner, Kapanen, and the 25th overall pick for Chris Tanev + bottom 9 roster player.
Unless you're adding Juolevi or your 1st, that's an easy no from Toronto.

Or if everyone wants to be reasonable, you'll get a 1st + 2nd + warm body for Tanev alone.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If we’re moving any of our defensemen Kapanen and the 25th aren’t pieces we’re interested in.
Obv Nylander/Matthews/Marner are off the table. The assets I suspect the Leafs to dangle are Lilj/Kap/Brown our 1st. Those assets say 1st+Lilj+Kap is enough to get Hani if we want him

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Obv Nylander/Matthews/Marner are off the table. The assets I suspect the Leafs to dangle are Lilj/Kap/Brown our 1st. Those assets say 1st+Lilj+Kap is enough to get Hani if we want him

You know two sides have to agree to a trade, right?

Keep adding all the pieces in the world until you feel the value is fair and it doesn’t change a thing if they’re not pieces we’re interested in trading for. I can guarantee you that is not the kind of return we would move Hanifin for.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Would adding Tierney to Braun do enough to help Toronto’s defensive play to make this worthwhile for the Leafs?

:leafs
Justin Braun
Chris Tierney

:sharks
Kasperi Kapanen
2018 1st
2019 4th (STL)

Last edited:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
You know two sides have to agree to a trade, right?

Keep adding all the pieces in the world until you feel the value is fair and it doesn’t change a thing if they’re not pieces we’re interested in trading for. I can guarantee you that is not the kind of return we would move Hanifin for.
Three first round picks is not enough for Hanifin? Would be easier to take a run with an offer sheet of $6MM and pay less compensation.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kap isn't going anywhere, especially with the near certainty that JVR is on the move. Kasperi will have a regular spot next year which means some of you guys who are experts on him can actually watch him play. Won't that be a novel approach to assessment?

Reactions: Magic Man

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Is Justin Braun really worth a 1st?
I’m not going to even suggest I’ve watched Toronto to know what’s best for them. But, if they are looking for a RS defender who will simply handle a top 4 spot and be drama free in his own end Braun is absolutely that. On a reasonable contract for two seasons, and the type of player that is typically undervalued in the UFA market.

I’m valuing Braun at something like Kapanen and a early/mid 2nd. And then Tierney is moving that 2nd to a mid/late 1st and a 4th.

Im open/interested in counter proposals around Braun, Tierney and Kapanen

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Three first round picks is not enough for Hanifin? Would be easier to take a run with an offer sheet of $6MM and pay less compensation.

I specifically have said already that it’s not about the general value, it’s about what the pieces are.

Kapanen - not a need for us
Liljegren - not a real need for us given defensive depth within our system
Leafs first - not a real need as we have good prospect depth and are picking 2nd overall.

Do you understand now why this makes no sense for Carolina regardless of how fair you feel the value may be? They’re not pieces we have any need for and they don’t fit in with the direction of the team. We don’t need more draft picks and young players.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I specifically have said already that it’s not about the general value, it’s about what the pieces are.

Kapanen - not a need for us
Liljegren - not a real need for us given defensive depth within our system
Leafs first - not a real need as we have good prospect depth and are picking 2nd overall.

Do you understand now why this makes no sense for Carolina regardless of how fair you feel the value may be? They’re not pieces we have any need for and they don’t fit in with the direction of the team. We don’t need more draft picks and young players.
ok how about Matthews+Nylander for Aho+Hanifin+2nd ovr
not really serious just want to see the reaction to an offer I feel is a massive over payment.

So if its a situation where you don't want futures than that leaves vets with term. The teams that would be interested in your young D men are not going to make their roster worse.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
not really serious just want to see the reaction to an offer I feel is a massive over payment.

So if its a situation where you don't want futures than that leaves vets with term. The teams that would be interested in your young D men are not going to make their roster worse.
If someone is interested in any of our young D men, we won't accept anything that isn't painful to them. Slavin and Hanifin primarily, with Pesce to a lesser extent, you're not getting any of them without making it hurt. On offense, go ahead and throw in Aho and 2OA as well. If that means you have to make the roster worse to acquire, so be it. Not our problem.

We're not interested in anything even approaching 'fair' for any of those assets.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

1. Canes can't afford that kind of future salary
2. I wouldn't rank Aho higher than Nylander
3. Matthews>>>>Hannifin
4. Suicide for leafs mgmt.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Then Carolina will just keep him.

I mean, is Carolina under some obligation to trade a defenseman? Do you know something that we don't?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If someone is interested in any of our young D men, we won't accept anything that isn't painful to them. Slavin and Hanifin primarily, with Pesce to a lesser extent, you're not getting any of them without making it hurt. On offense, go ahead and throw in Aho and 2OA as well. If that means you have to make the roster worse to acquire, so be it. Not our problem.

We're not interested in anything even approaching 'fair' for any of those assets.
I honestly think that the Canes are vulnerable to an offer sheet for Hanifin. Attendance is way down and I can't see a high offer for term. If I was an owner who might be looking to sell, I might want a stable of young prospects to weather the fiscal storm. Just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad