Value of: Kasperi Kapenan+ the 25th pick

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
They will want to change things up. As an incoming GM the current team isn't working well enough. Moving a player out on the D core would be a nice add. Myers vs Winnipeg in round 1 could have made a big difference if he was on the wild instead of jets.
There will definitely be changes made, but giving up serious assets for a player we don't need isn't going to be high on the To Do list.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Going by your post below, you don't think Kap is worth a 1st, so we will keep Kap and give you 1st+2nd for Tanev. Pleasure doing business with ya.:thumbu:
A first and a second for Tanev? Wow you rate him far higher than me. I have always seen him a a very good shutdown defender. Nothing more. Do missunderstand me l believe he does that job well.

Last edited:

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
The only opportunities he has been given are in the bottom 6, 4th line in fact because the Leafs winger depth was insane this past year. Hard to prove your a top 6 players without any opportunity

Not many players go PPG in AHL as a 20 year old. Writing him off as having no or low value is very short sighted and shows you haven't really watched him often.

Worlds are not the same but ya I think 30 may be a stretch but 20 or 25 goals is what I think he will score consitently in his career at some point.
Ok.
How many wingers IYO has higher ceiling than Kapanen? Nylander and Marner and....

Edit.
Typo

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
A first and a second for Tanev? Wow you rate him far higher than me. I have always seen him a a very good shutdown defender. Nothing more. Do missunderstand me l believe he does that job well.
He is exactly what the Leafs need. Pure shutdown guy to pair with Rielly, his injury history is concerning, but i would take the gamble.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They will want to change things up. As an incoming GM the current team isn't working well enough. Moving a player out on the D core would be a nice add. Myers vs Winnipeg in round 1 could have made a big difference if he was on the wild instead of jets.

Hard pass on that one. I'm sure some GM's would take that deal though. Gardiner does have offensive upside for sure. Lefty D's are easy to come buy especially in the top 4. For that reason alone I would be hesitant to swap Gardiner for Tanev to move up from 37th to 25th.
You get the better long term player if all goes well and we get the better short term player.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Gardiner, Kapanen, and the 25th overall pick for Chris Tanev + bottom 9 roster player.

Gardiner...1st round 17th overall +
Kapanen...1st round 22nd overall+
1st round 25th overall
----------------------------------------------------
<>Tanev Unselected

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This has probably been mentioned multiple times but I think Kapanen for Jordan Schmaltz could work. It's probably beyond any of us though what Jordan Schmaltz is in the eyes of GMs right now though so I don't expect completely positive feedback on this one. At least Schmaltz would probably get a fair shot at playing time in TOR

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
This has probably been mentioned multiple times but I think Kapanen for Jordan Schmaltz could work. It's probably beyond any of us though what Jordan Schmaltz is in the eyes of GMs right now though so I don't expect completely positive feedback on this one. At least Schmaltz would probably get a fair shot at playing time in TOR

I wouldn't mind Schmaltz, but realistically, he'd be competing with Ozhiganov/Holl/Polak?/Carrick for that #3 RHD spot here, whereas we'd value Kapanen a lot more. Maybe Schmaltz for Leivo and a small +, like a 3rd but Kapanen is probably off limits for that return across the board.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I wouldn't mind Schmaltz, but realistically, he'd be competing with Ozhiganov/Holl/Polak?/Carrick for that #3 RHD spot here, whereas we'd value Kapanen a lot more. Maybe Schmaltz for Leivo and a small +, like a 3rd but Kapanen is probably off limits for that return across the board.

Right that's what I was saying. Who knows where Schmaltz is viewed by GM's and scouting departments. He's been dealt a tough hand and hasn't helped himself all that much nor have injuries helped him out much. I think it's pretty clear to see why he didn't play with STL as of now. Dunn beat him out in preseason and I can see why the kid has moxy and is a very very high level passer. He's not going to beat out Parayko/Eddy or Pietro for time. The thought initially was that JBo was going to be a part of the top 4 but injuries hampered him. I also think that DA was hesitant to play two rookies over Gunnar/Bort both who had actually pretty good years.

As for what you countered it could definitely be workable during next years season. I just don't see reason to do that in the mean time for us esp with Bouwmeester and Gunnar starting the season injured more than likely. The D depth will be hard to come by for a couple of months for us and Schmaltz will most likely be given time to prove himself. I definitely don't mind the addition of Leivo and a 3rd for him at the deadline or a bit before if Schmaltz isn't having a good year, or our other players start to get healthy and he's not getting the light of day.

Reactions: firstemperor

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
In the light of the complete cluelessness of many of the Kapanen detractors and for some objectivity.

Kapanen was a late first round pick and has since always been rated a top prospect.

Dobber's currently lists him as the 26th best prospect and: projects as a dynamic top-line winger with promising offensive upside

Kasperi Kapanen

He's probably worth a solid mid-range 1st so packaged with the 24th pick in this draft should fetch a good sum. Probably doesn't matter though as can't see Dubas parting with him. He'll slot into JVR's spot next year.

Reactions: kihei

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
In the light of the complete cluelessness of many of the Kapanen detractors and for some objectivity.

Kapanen was a late first round pick and has since always been rated a top prospect.

Dobber's currently lists him as the 26th best prospect and: projects as a dynamic top-line winger with promising offensive upside

Kasperi Kapanen

He's probably worth a solid mid-range 1st so packaged with the 24th pick in this draft should fetch a good sum. Probably doesn't matter though as can't see Dubas parting with him. He'll slot into JVR's spot next year.
Gotta remember when posting logic that most of the people on this website don't even watch the players they are commenting on.

Reactions: BrainyBomber

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Kasperi Kapanen

I see your point that alot of people don't generally have a good idea of each player but I find it tough to believe much from Dobber. I've read through it for maybe 3 minutes and have already found about 15 glaring holes and inaccuracies. Nonetheless projections, are projections but TOR should probably give Kapanen a shot esp if JVR walks.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'd ask a bit more for Muffin, a late first is nice and Kapanen has potential and fills a need, I just feel a top2-4 dman at 4mill holds more value. A shame Muzzin is a LS dman, Leafs army always seem to be gunning for a RS.

Perhaps Muzzin + Ladue for #25, Kapanen and Gardiner?

Probably under valuing Gardner though.

Honestly I think Muzzin for late first and Kapanen is a fair deal. However if LA can get more I am all about it. Would rather just add a 2019 pick of some sort (3rd rounder?) that LA can either use to draft someone or in another trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad