Value of: Kasperi Kapenan+ the 25th pick

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Would adding Tierney to Braun do enough to help Toronto’s defensive play to make this worthwhile for the Leafs?

:leafs
Justin Braun
Chris Tierney

:sharks
Kasperi Kapanen
2018 1st
2019 4th (STL)

It certainly makes in interesting, especially if Babs is adamant about keeping Nylander on the wing. Would you do it with Brown in place of Kap? And/or if the 1st was lower, in the 30/35 range

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I honestly think that the Canes are vulnerable to an offer sheet for Hanifin. Attendance is way down and I can't see a high offer for term. If I was an owner who might be looking to sell, I might want a stable of young prospects to weather the fiscal storm. Just saying.
What the heck are you talking about? Looking to sell? Dundon just bought the team a few months ago and is already investing into the hockey infrastructure of the area. Allowing Hanifin to walk on an offer sheet is literally the opposite of anything and everything we're looking to do here, especially when we have gobs of cap room. And we would want to get rid of Hanifin so we could keep around a stable of young prospects? What?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What the heck are you talking about? Looking to sell? Dundon just bought the team a few months ago and is already investing into the hockey infrastructure of the area. Allowing Hanifin to walk on an offer sheet is literally the opposite of anything and everything we're looking to do here, especially when we have gobs of cap room. And we would want to get rid of Hanifin so we could keep around a stable of young prospects? What?
third lowest attendance in the NHL is not good. Very limited market. I caught a game in Raleigh once. (Liked the BBQ in the arena btw). A third of the arena were visiting fans from Buffalo watching the sabres. The next day I couldn't even find a game on TV (when Canes weren't playing). Team is dying a painful death. Hockey fan base is really small

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Unless you're adding Juolevi or your 1st, that's an easy no from Toronto.

Or if everyone wants to be reasonable, you'll get a 1st + 2nd + warm body for Tanev alone.
I'd do Tanev for Kapanen and the 25th. A late first and B prospect would be probably the lowest return I would take.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I honestly think that the Canes are vulnerable to an offer sheet for Hanifin. Attendance is way down and I can't see a high offer for term. If I was an owner who might be looking to sell, I might want a stable of young prospects to weather the fiscal storm. Just saying.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding here but are you saying the canes owner might be looking to sell?

Reactions: CarolinaCaniac

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
1. Canes can't afford that kind of future salary
2. I wouldn't rank Aho higher than Nylander
3. Matthews>>>>Hannifin
4. Suicide for leafs mgmt.

Aren’t you forgetting a big piece that was part of the deal? I’m not saying the Leafs would do this (they wouldn’t) but you left out arguably the most valuable piece coming from Carolina in this fictional proposal.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
third lowest attendance in the NHL is not good. Very limited market. I caught a game in Raleigh once. (Liked the BBQ in the arena btw). A third of the arena were visiting fans from Buffalo watching the sabres. The next day I couldn't even find a game on TV (when Canes weren't playing). Team is dying a painful death. Hockey fan base is really small
Amazing, the team that has the longest playoff drought has low attendance. Who would have thought that. And glad you were able to make that sweeping conclusion about this region with that one time you were able to attend a game.

But yeah, none of this means its at all likely that we let Hanifin walk on an offer sheet.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Aren’t you forgetting a big piece that was part of the deal? I’m not saying the Leafs would do this (they wouldn’t) but you left out arguably the most valuable piece coming from Carolina in this fictional proposal.
Can be had at a much cheaper price. Cane fans are not experts of the hockey market:laugh:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Amazing, the team that has the longest playoff drought has low attendance. Who would have thought that. And glad you were able to make that sweeping conclusion about this region with that one time you were able to attend a game.

But yeah, none of this means its at all likely that we let Hanifin walk on an offer sheet.
You won't let him walk...someone from the team who developed their expertise outside of Raleigh Durham will.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The bolded is the case in any US market that only has one team with NHL broadcasting rights in its area. The only games you'll find outside of market are either on NBCSN or NHL Network

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can be had at a much cheaper price. Cane fans are not experts of the hockey market:laugh:

What nonsense are you babbling on about? A Leafs fan, as a unrealistic “what if” said Matthews+Nylander for Aho, Hanifin and the #2 OA pick. You responded with saying You wouldn’t rank Aho over Nylander and Matthews >>>>>Hanifin. You completely left out the 2nd OA pick part so your response was nonsense

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

I'm confused about the bolded. All Stateside NHL games are broadcast in their "local" TV market. Otherwise the national rights belong to NBC and NHL (on Gamecenter).

Fox Sports is only allowed to broadcast the Hurricanes and the Predators (and previously the Thrashers) because those are the "local" teams.

I'm genuinely curious. Are you insinuating that the Canes are looking to go cheap because the owner is looking to sell?

he's saying you used "we" to refer to the team, when really it should be "they".

In a way to insinuate Dundon is moving to Houston.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Three first round picks is not enough for Hanifin? Would be easier to take a run with an offer sheet of $6MM and pay less compensation.
And another thing, when you list off 2 prospects and a 1st round pick, that doesn't equal 3 1st round picks. Sure, those prospects might have been drafted in the first, but, much like a car, their value is diminished once you make the pick. When you offer 3 first round picks, I want 3 lottery cards, not one lottery card and 2 that have already been scratched off.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd do Tanev for Kapanen and the 25th. A late first and B prospect would be probably the lowest return I would take.
Given where the Leafs are in their rebuild and where the Canucks are in theirs, I suspect picks would be the currency of choice for Tanev.
The Leafs have a ton of little known but high upside prospects in their pools so I could see their 1st + a good prospect or two for Tanev.
Maybe something like

2018 1st
Carrick (young, #5/6 with #4/5 potential)
Leivo/Bracco/Brooks/etc.

or if Vancouver wants just picks, a 1st+ 2nd

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Given where the Leafs are in their rebuild and where the Canucks are in theirs, I suspect picks would be the currency of choice for Tanev.
The Leafs have a ton of little known but high upside prospects in their pools so I could see their 1st + a good prospect or two for Tanev.
Maybe something like

2018 1st
Carrick (young, #5/6 with #4/5 potential)
Leivo/Bracco/Brooks/etc.

or if Vancouver wants just picks, a 1st+ 2nd
I would be hesitant to target Tanev with his injury problems. Playing in the playoffs will only make it worse.

I feel like he would just get injuried and miss the playoffs.

Personally I would target someone else with the Leafs 1st, interested to see what Dubas does as he likes to think outside the box.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Offer sheets aren't really a thing right now and Carolina can create budget space by moving Skinner or Faulk or Lindholm, if necessary. Carolina could conceivably trade Hanifin as opposed to giving him a big contract, but I strongly doubt that they will be bullied into it by another club.

Even if contract negotiations become problematic, there’s 29 other teams in the league that Carolina could talk to about Hanifin. Toronto wouldn’t be the only suitor.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Offer sheets aren't really a thing right now and Carolina can create budget space by moving Skinner or Faulk or Lindholm, if necessary. Carolina could conceivably trade Hanifin as opposed to giving him a big contract, but I strongly doubt that they will be bullied into it by another club.

Even if contract negotiations become problematic, there’s 29 other teams in the league that Carolina could talk to about Hanifin. Toronto wouldn’t be the only suitor.
If Canes management is expecting a hockey deal then they need to look at teams in a similar situation to the Canes but with young forward talent that can afford to lose 1 to obtain a D man. As far as the Leafs are concerned we can go an get a Tanev/Myers or even a Doughty for cheaper than what you guys expect lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad