Value of: Kasperi Kapenan+ the 25th pick

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not taking a shot at all Leafs fans, as I know what it’s like as a Habs fans to get labelled by a number of posters on our side doing the same thing. But a winger and a late first isn’t going to acquire the piece/s you’re after or need to fill the holes you desperately have too. It always seems to come down to who you can give up without leaving any holes with big franchises and reality is, to get the players you require, you’re paying threw FA or getting fleeced most of the time threw trade. Offering Kapanen is convenient.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Not taking a shot at all Leafs fans, as I know what it’s like as a Habs fans to get labelled by a number of posters on our side doing the same thing. But a winger and a late first isn’t going to acquire the piece/s you’re after or need to fill the holes you desperately have too. It always seems to come down to who you can give up without leaving any holes with big franchises and reality is, to get the players you require, you’re paying threw FA or getting fleeced most of the time threw trade. Offering Kapanen is convenient.
It's not really a Leafs' fan thing. Seems like a fairly common fantasy for your fav team to fill a significant with a collection of good yet expendable parts. I remember doing it all the time as a yute. *shouts at cloud*

It's not typical to find a good NHLer with a good cap situation via a package of futures that are similar to what every team already has. Guessing that package is most valuable when a team is in a salvage situation and basically has a good player up for auction vs using that same collection as bait to fill an immediate need.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
What is Kapanen exactly? Not established at all... A winger... A guy who has been around a while now and yet to find himself a regular spot.

I think.. Ben Hutton is attainable for Kapanen. I don't think he holds much value.. 25th overall? Meh.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Trading Kapanen would be stupid

Young, fast, cost controled player that looks like a 40-50pts guy... why would TO trade him?

Reactions: charliolemieux

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If Canes management is expecting a hockey deal then they need to look at teams in a similar situation to the Canes but with young forward talent that can afford to lose 1 to obtain a D man. As far as the Leafs are concerned we can go an get a Tanev/Myers or even a Doughty for cheaper than what you guys expect lol

Or, make a play for Carlson. I don't blame Leaf fans for not wating to touch Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kadri, but getting a quality defensive asset with cost-controlled years of term ahead of him is going to require a quality return, from Carolina or any other team, imo. Kapanen isn't the guy that gets it done. Aim lower via trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am guessing the combination of these 2 things gets you the 16/17th pick if a team really like Kapenan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
What is Kapanen exactly? Not established at all... A winger... A guy who has been around a while now and yet to find himself a regular spot.

I think.. Ben Hutton is attainable for Kapanen. I don't think he holds much value.. 25th overall? Meh.
55 regular season NHL games in his career, 38 of them this year and he is 21..

He has not been around for awhile and not found a spot. He is entering the NHL at a very common age and has nailed down a spot forsure. He would have earlier if the leafs didn't have insane winger depth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Ben Hutton? don't be ridiculous Ben Hutton would be on our bottom pair replacing Polak, which I'd be alright with, but he doesn't get you Kapanen and a 1st

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
55 regular season NHL games in his career, 38 of them this year and he is 21..

He has not been around for awhile and not found a spot. He is entering the NHL at a very common age and has nailed down a spot forsure. He would have earlier if the leafs didn't have insane winger depth.
Why are you throwing facts around? Kapanen is a vet who's been around for ages.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It certainly makes in interesting, especially if Babs is adamant about keeping Nylander on the wing. Would you do it with Brown in place of Kap? And/or if the 1st was lower, in the 30/35 range

I’m thinking the Sharks would really value Kapanens speed, so I’m very much targeting him. My goal with the first would be to use that, bundled with the Sharks own first, as part of another trade (I know this is all make believe... I promise... LOL).

What about deferring the 1st rounder until next year and making the 2019 4th our own 2018 3rd? Is there a small add that is needed to even this up in Toronto’s favor?

:sharks
Kapanen
2019 1st
2018 3rd (SJS)

:leafs
Braun
Tierney

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm genuinely curious. Are you insinuating that the Canes are looking to go cheap because the owner is looking to sell?
I was unaware it just sold. Still, tem now 100MM in debt and it is bleeding money. New owner didn't buy to lose money

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
What nonsense are you babbling on about? A Leafs fan, as a unrealistic “what if” said Matthews+Nylander for Aho, Hanifin and the #2 OA pick. You responded with saying You wouldn’t rank Aho over Nylander and Matthews >>>>>Hanifin. You completely left out the 2nd OA pick part so your response was nonsense
Yeah...ok. Aho over performed beyond expectations with 65 pts this year and 49 last year. He was a second round pick. Nylander has not reached his expectation at 61 for both years and was a 1st round pick. Nylander is faster and more skilled. Aho is not better than Nylander. Maybe Aho + a second is worth Nylander. Don't get me started on trading a generational center for a 5th overall.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
To say that Hanifin is untradeable is crazy. Especially with a pretty solid defensive team

I don’t believe any canes fan has ever said he’s untradeable.

We’re not against the idea of trading him but it has to make sense. Virtually every single offer ever made on this forum doesn’t make any sense from the canes standpoint.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I don’t believe any canes fan has ever said he’s untradeable.

We’re not against the idea of trading him but it has to make sense. Virtually every single offer ever made on this forum doesn’t make any sense from the canes standpoint.
What makes sense is for the Canes to capitalize on it's solid D to land some scoring punch.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
And another thing, when you list off 2 prospects and a 1st round pick, that doesn't equal 3 1st round picks. Sure, those prospects might have been drafted in the first, but, much like a car, their value is diminished once you make the pick. When you offer 3 first round picks, I want 3 lottery cards, not one lottery card and 2 that have already been scratched off.
They didn't diminish. In fact their value is up. 1st round picks are not locks to make the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->