Votes: 68 29.2%
  • Tie

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Karlsson defensively = a bit better than Gardiner defensively

Matthews defensively = Kesler defensively (and he's only improving)

This isn't the question being asked but how can you justify this statement?

Kesler's entire career has been in a shutdown role, he's never even had a season in his 10 years in the league where he had more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This isn't the question being asked but how can you justify this statement?

Kesler's entire career has been in a shutdown role, he's never even had a season in his 10 years in the league where he had more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts.

Matthews has over 60% defensive zone starts this season. He truly has been a defensive beast. Never thought he would get to that level this early if at all.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Im gonna act like you completely ignored Karlsson's unfrikingbelieveable playoffs last summer on one foot. Or his entire season last year for that matter, lol.

Karlsson is the best defenseman of this generation but has suspect defense. I give credit where credit is due.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson defensively = a bit better than Gardiner defensively

Matthews defensively = Kesler defensively (and he's only improving)

Where is this narrative that Matthews is amazing defensively coming from?

I'd say the gap between the two is bigger on the defensive end than offensive.

Karlsson>Matthews offensively
Karlsson>>Matthews defensively.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Karlsson is the best defenseman of this generation but has suspect defense. I give credit where credit is due.

How's the weather in 2014?

"Karlsson suspect defensively" give me a break. Watch hockey in the last 2 years. That's embarrassing.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The part where he exposes Karlsson's lackluster defense is my favourite.
First game of the season, how did EK look in game 7 of the ECF. Oh you probably just turned that off so you could rip on Ottawa's system and attendance while you keep watching highlites of the first game of the season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is such a weird comparison. How do you compare C to a D?

But i mean, Matthews has 54 goals in his last 104 games.

Karlsson has 20 in his last 107 games.

So everyone saying "EK ainec", are we just going to dismiss the fact that Matthews scores almost 3x the amount of goals ? Isn't scoring goals a pretty big part of offense ?

EK might have the best best vision+passing+skating combinations in the league for a dman, but as a scorer he's pretty damn mediocre. 20 goals for a defenseman is obviously a nice amount, but you also have to consider the fact that the guy plays like 25 mins a game and gets all the PP time in the world.

If it was possible for a C to play 25 mins a game, how many goals would Matthews have ?

Who wins the art ross trophy the player with the most goals or points? The Art Ross is the trophy awarded to the player that scores the most FYI.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Who wins the art ross trophy the player with the most goals or points? The Art Ross is the trophy awarded to the player that scores the most FYI.

So you would prefer 10+70 player to 60+10 player ?

If one player has a hat trick and the other has 4 secondary assists, who would you say had the better game offensively ?

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is such a weird comparison. How do you compare C to a D?

But i mean, Matthews has 54 goals in his last 104 games.

Karlsson has 20 in his last 107 games.

So everyone saying "EK ainec", are we just going to dismiss the fact that Matthews scores almost 3x the amount of goals ? Isn't scoring goals a pretty big part of offense ?

EK might have the best best vision+passing+skating combinations in the league for a dman, but as a scorer he's pretty damn mediocre. 20 goals for a defenseman is obviously a nice amount, but you also have to consider the fact that the guy plays like 25 mins a game and gets all the PP time in the world.

If it was possible for a C to play 25 mins a game, how many goals would Matthews have ?

What a weird way to look at this. Why would you ever think comparing goal totals between a forward and defenseman is a good idea? You're essentially saying zack smith and karlsson are roughly equal offensively because their goal totals always hover around the same?

Did you not think of this before you wrote? I don't get your logical thinking as you posted this. Can you elaborate how you think comparing goal totals is the best way to measure offensive ability between a forward and defenseman? Especially over,say, total points, including assists.

I eagerly wait your answers.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So you would prefer 10+80 player to 60+10 player ?

If one player has a hat trick and the other has 4 secondary assists, who would you say had the better game offensively ?

The guy with 4 points, duh. Would you rather your team scores 3 or 4 goals? That's what it comes down to.

You're essentially saying you'd rather have a guy with 50 goals and zero assists than a guy with 0 goals and a 100 assists because goals. I value team goals more than individual goals, so i'll go with the guy who helps my team get more overall goals, the guy with 100 assists over the guy with 50 goals.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
lol what a weird way of thinking about it.

Do all leaf fans feel that way?

Would you rather be tied 3-3 going to OT after 60 mins with matthews having 3 goals(cuz having more goals matters more)
OR
Would you rather have won 4-3 with matthews having a goal and 3 assists (cuz team goals or points matter more than individual goals)

???

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The guy with 4 points, duh. Would you rather your team scores 3 or 4 goals? That's what it comes down to.

Oh right, because passing the puck d to d is harder than muscling your way to the front of net and beating two guys to to score top shelf. Im sure that d to d pass was so damn important the guy who scored would never be able to do it otherwise. And im sure that team would've scored those goals without the guy who actually scored.

You're saying assists > goals. That's terrible.

What a weird way to look at this. Why would you ever think comparing goal totals between a forward and defenseman is a good idea? You're essentially saying zack smith and karlsson are roughly equal offensively because their goal totals always hover around the same?

Did you not think of this before you wrote? I don't get your logical thinking as you posted this. Can you elaborate how you think comparing goal totals is the best way to measure offensive ability between a forward and defenseman? Especially over,say, total points, including assists.

I eagerly wait your answers.

"What a weird way to look at this".

Dude this whole poll is weird. There is no way you can make a sensible comparison between a C and a D.

You say comparing goals totals to a forward and a defenseman is not a good idea, but somehow it's completely fair to compare point totals between a player who can be on the ice for 25 minutes a game and play full PP's, and a C who only plays 18 minutes a game. The puck goes through EK all the time, so whenever he's on the ice and they score, he's likely to get a point. Same can be said for Matthews. Difference is, EK plays a position that allows him to play more minutes.

So, how about we even the playing field and go with Points per 60 for this season ? (usually i don't like it, but best i can do for this comparison)

Matthews 3.87 (leads the team in TOI for forwards)
Karlsson 3.71 (leads the team in TOI for dmen)

On top of this, Matthews scores more goals, which is always more dependable than the guy who relies on others putting the puck in the net.

There's my thought process for you.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Oh right, because passing the puck d to d is harder than muscling your way to the front of net and beating two guys to to score top shelf. Im sure that d to d pass was so damn important the guy who scored would never be able to do it otherwise. And im sure that team would've scored those goals without the guy who actually scored.

You're saying assists > goals. That's terrible.

"What a weird way to look at this".

Dude this whole poll is weird. There is no way you can make a sensible comparison between a C and a D.

You say comparing goals totals to a forward and a defenseman is not a good idea, but somehow it's completely fair to compare point totals between a player who can be on the ice for 25 minutes a game and play full PP's, and a C who only plays 18 minutes a game. The puck goes through EK all the time, so whenever he's on the ice and they score, he's likely to get a point. Same can be said for Matthews. Difference is, EK plays a position that allows him to play more minutes.

So, how about we even the playing field and go with Points per 60 for this season ?

Matthews 3.87
Karlsson 3.71

On top of this, Matthews scores more goals, which is always more dependable than guy who relies on others putting the puck in the net.

There's my thought process for you.

You're describing such a specific play with total bias. You brought nothing of substance on that point. That's like me saying "you're telling me it's easier to go end to end and dangle through 4 guys and make an amazing tape to tape saucer pass for a tap in goal than it is to be fighting for position and have the puck go in off your butt". What silly way of arguing. So let's throw out those useless points.

I clearly said point>goals. Reading comprehension fail on your part. I'm pretty sure everyone read my point and understood it, but you.

You can make a sensible comparison, such as total points and how much they affect their teams offense. You still haven't explained the thought process between using goals to compare forward and defenseman in offensive abilities.

If you really cared about making a strong argument, you would come in with the idea you had "goals is the best way to jusdge offensive abilities between F and D" then, because you care about your argument, would look at the evidence to see how strong your case is. You would then see that zack smith and erik karlsson have roughly the same amount of goals over the past few years. You would then think "hmmm, is zack smith as good as erik karlsson offensively? heck no. This argument must be really bad" and you wouldn't post it. But yet you posted it. Which leads me to believe you don't care about how true or strong your argument is, you just post it regardless. Is this accurate?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You're describing such a specific play with total bias. You brought nothing of substance on that point. That's like me saying "you're telling me it's easier to go end to end and dangle through 4 guys and make an amazing tape to tape saucer pass for a tap in goal than it is to be fighting for position and have the puck go in off your butt". What silly way of arguing. So let's throw out those useless points.

I clearly said point>goals. Reading comprehension fail on your part. I'm pretty sure everyone read my point and understood it, but you.

You can make a sensible comparison, such as total points and how much they affect their teams offense. You still haven't explained the thought process between using goals to compare forward and defenseman in offensive abilities.

If you really cared about making a strong argument, you would come in with the idea you had "goals is the best way to jusdge offensive abilities between F and D" then, because you care about your argument, would look at the evidence to see how strong your case is. You would then see that zack smith and erik karlsson have roughly the same amount of goals over the past few years. You would then think "hmmm, is zack smith as good as erik karlsson offensively? heck no. This argument must be really bad" and you wouldn't post it. But yet you posted it. Which leads me to believe you don't care about how true or strong your argument is, you just post it regardless. Is this accurate?

Well im going to make this very clear for you. How many assists can be considered "easy points" vs how many goals can be considered easy goals. The ratio is probably shocking to you. You can't score a goal making a d to d pass. But you can get a point. That was the message i was trying to send with my "biased example".

Bolded: oh please. I asked if 4 secondary assists were better than 3 goals and you said yes. Yes they're points, but by your logic i could never argue goals > assists with you as long as the guy who has more assists has more points. So wouldn't that mean, you'd also say 0 goal 50 assist player is better offensively than 49 goal + 0 assist player. Is that hypothetical ridiculous? Of course, but you made it black and white for yourself.

Im using goals scored as one important element to compare two players offensive abilities, because you know, offense is ultimately putting the puck in the net. I thought we were stricly comparing these guys offense, and not staring too much at the position they played? Suddenly the most important factor in offense (scoring goals) is not a factor at all just because one is a defenseman? Like what? That would be like me saying forwards don't have to play D, but Matthews is pretty good at D, so if we compare Matthews to EK defensively, Matthews must be on a whole different level.

Did i ever say the player who scores more goals is automatically the better offensive player? No. I only said "are we going to dismiss the fact Matthews scores 3x more goals". As such your Zack Smith bullshit is not even relevant to anything i've said lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad