• AM

Votes: 68 29.2%
  • Tie

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
But this poll is talking about the present. This poll isn't "Will Matthews be the better offensive player than Karlsson?" (In which my answer would still be no, Karlsson can completely carry and offense by himself).
Oh I agree. Just trying to help clarify what (I think) he's trying to say.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Karlsson plays a much tougher position defensively

Uh, centre is much harder.
You have to worry about your own lane, then young wingers. With Matthews, he's got Hyman that is a good worker and Nylander who is a Sithis-like void defensively. And he still produced 40 goals and could well top that this season.

I took Matthews. He has well above-average defensive game and a stellar offensive game. Just incredible player.
Karlsson is also elite at his position, but is too lackadaisical at times in his away-from-the-puck play, and that just should not be at this point in his career. If Erik were pristine defensively, it would, indeed, not be close. But the three zone game edges this in Matthews' favour, as well as his being a centre.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I wonder how many non-Leafs fans voted for Matthews. Dude is great but I don't think he's objectively looking nearly as good offensively as Karlsson is.

Sens fan and I did. I always take the dominant centre over the dominant defenceman. They are just that important to building your franchise.
I also value play away from the puck a lot more. If this were 2012 Karlsson it would be a wash in his favour, but this year he hasn't looked like 2012 Karlsson. Hopefully that changes at some point soon.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sens fan and I did. I always take the dominant centre over the dominant defenceman. They are just that important to building your franchise.
I also value play away from the puck a lot more. If this were 2012 Karlsson it would be a wash in his favour, but this year he hasn't looked like 2012 Karlsson. Hopefully that changes at some point soon.

Idk, I thought Lidstom was more important to the wings than Yzerman, Pronger more important to the ducks than Getzlaf was, Doughty is more important to the Kings than Kopitar is, Orr more important than Esposito, Potvin more important than Trottier. I really don't think it's as easy as you suggest.

Hugh Mungus

Feb 1, 2017
nucks nation
Dude stop. Karlsson best defensive attribute is his ability to play keep away. I would love for Matthews to have the puck on his stick and Karlsson on the ice at the same time.

Hard to take you seriously when you take the guy that has 10x less goals.
lmao pls stop, how on earth are you gonna comapre a dman and a forward using goals? according to you karlssons offense is equal to that of a third liner? good stuff

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Karlsson until Matthews shows he can outscore him over a full season. Even then the fact that Karlsson does it as a dman is incredible.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
It's been Matthews this season and don't know how it can be debated, but Karlsson is capable of more. (As is Matthews). Auston right now is a PPG #1 C with great possession stats and leading the leafs to playoffs

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's been Matthews this season and don't know how it can be debated, but Karlsson is capable of more. (As is Matthews). Auston right now is a PPG #1 C with great possession stats and leading the leafs to playoffs
I agree. I have no problem with saying Karlsson is great offensively or even possibly better than Matthews. People laughing at the comparison and saying Karlsson AINEC deserve to feel foolish though

Reactions: Albi34

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Is it still for sure?

While this thread was about offense, I couldn’t help but notice Karlsson is a -26, good for 4th worst in the league. On the other end of the spectrum, Matthews is +26, good for 2nd best in the league.

That chasm is nearly as large as the difference between Toronto’s (6th place) and Ottawa’s (30th) place in the standings, of which Matthews and Karlsson are largely responsible for as each team’s respective top players.

That chasm is also nearly as large as the difference between Karlsson’s 5 goals and Matthews’ 26 goals, since this thread was about offense.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It used to be EK but I'm not sure he is that player anymore or ever will be again. Stone is the best player on that team now. People are living in the past.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
While this thread was about offense, I couldn’t help but notice Karlsson is a -26, good for 4th worst in the league. On the other end of the spectrum, Matthews is +26, good for 2nd best in the league.

That chasm is nearly as large as the difference between Toronto’s (6th place) and Ottawa’s (30th) place in the standings, of which Matthews and Karlsson are largely responsible for as each team’s respective top players.

That chasm is also nearly as large as the difference between Karlsson’s 5 goals and Matthews’ 26 goals, since this thread was about offense.
there's also a large chasm between Matthews' 36 5v5 points in 48 to Karlsson's 18 in 49. Matthews actually has more 5v5 goals than Karlsson has points. Hell, Matthews has more 5v5 points so far this year in 48 games than Karlsson had all of last year

Also, Karlsson has only been on the ice for 11 fewer 5v5 goals against this year as Matthews has been on for this year + last year. Crazy stuff I'd say

I wonder if we'll see people own up to their wildly inaccurate positions

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Why not state the obvious? .98 point per game vs .73. I guess people think he will bounce back despite losing a huge chunk of his foot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad