Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
How do you compare a forward to a defenseman offensively? Pure points? Impact on the game?

The best way I can think of is relative to their respective peers, in which case it is definitely EK.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
How do you compare a forward to a defenseman offensively? Pure points? Impact on the game?

The best way I can think of is relative to their respective peers, in which case it is definitely EK.

I think he means offensive talent not offensive production things like passing, shooting, vision, ability to create offence for yourself and other etc.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews by a lot... offensive Defensemen simply can't impact the game as much as a center.

Really though? I don't see how it's Matthews by a lot considering he hasn't scored 82 points in a season yet and is not guaranteed that this year, and judging them for the position they play I would say Karlsson. He has more offensive skill and IQ IMO.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Matthews. 40g scorer as a rookie. 51g, 97pt pace this year.

Matthews might be more impactful defensively too

Reactions: The S5

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Thread asks who is more impactful offensively.

HarrisonFord responds by citing Matthews inferior P/G #'s and (apparently) superior defence.

Classic.

Weird that you for some strange reason missed commenting about Matthews far superior goal numbers.

And I mean if you think that a defender adds more offense than a forward, can you explain why a center can't add more defensively? Or do you just argue things situationally as it suits you?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
because a generational type offensive dmen impacts both end of the ice more than a 97 point pace 69 point career 17.5min a game Matthews

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Matthews. 40g scorer as a rookie. 51g, 97pt pace this year.

Matthews might be more impactful defensively too

Being a Rookie has literally nothing to do with anything... and it was last year so who cares?

As for this year...
Matthews is on pace for 93 points actually (He can only play 79 games, not 82)
Still 25 points behind Karlsson... in 77 games. lmao

The only thing Matthews does better is goal scoring and that's the nature of being a forward. But he also plays significantly less.... so either way you look at it, it's debatable.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Weird that you for some strange reason missed commenting about Matthews far superior goal numbers.

And I mean if you think that a defender adds more offense than a forward, can you explain why a center can't add more defensively? Or do you just argue things situationally as it suits you?

lol half the league has better goal scoring numbers than karlsson

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I never said a center can't add more defensively. It just has nothing to do with the thread. Do you understand that?

If you think that Matthews pacing for more goals makes up for the fact that Karlsson is pacing for 30+ more points/82, that's your prerogative. That said, nothing else you wrote (besides his goal pace) in any way indicates he's offensively superior.

In fact, I have no issue with your conclusion... it's the nonsensical, roundabout route that you took to get there. Rookie status, defensive ability, Matthews point totals.... none of these things have any bearing on the question at hand (or, at least, do nothing to support an argument that Matthews is superior offensively).

As I said, classic.

Mar 26, 2010
We are comparing the best D man in the NHL in Karlsson and the future best player in the NHL in Matthews.

Any team would be lucky to have either of them.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Gotta go with Karlsson. The offence he brings from the back end is completely out of this world. He's basically the prime Crosby of d-men right now, while Matthews is "only" Crosby-lite as a forward.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Karlsson makes every forward on his roster better offensively for the 30 minutes he plays in a game. Matthews is a shoot first lone wolf player who plays about 15-18 mins a night.

Karlsson has a greater offensive impact on a hockey game.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Being a Rookie has literally nothing to do with anything... and it was last year so who cares?

As for this year...
Matthews is on pace for 93 points actually (He can only play 79 games, not 82)
Still 25 points behind Karlsson... in 77 games. lmao

The only thing Matthews does better is goal scoring and that's the nature of being a forward. But he also plays significantly less.... so either way you look at it, it's debatable.

I don't think that part is relevant though considering it's clearly harder to score as a defenseman.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Karlsson makes every forward on his roster better offensively for the 30 minutes he plays in a game. Matthews is a shoot first lone wolf player who plays about 15-18 mins a night.

Karlsson has a greater offensive impact on a hockey game.

Matthews is a great playmaker though with exceptional hockey sense. Not quite as good as Karlsson though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad