• Tie

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Lol we are talking about a Defender... Matthews is at the Center of play driving to the Net every second play while Karlsson has at best the opportunity to rush the side wing... Karlsson is a better Offensive tool at the hardest position to consistently find Offence from, but yet year in year out he's the best.

I don't want to get to particular here but you can really see how Leaf fans can sway a poll considering the fact Karlsson is much more impactful and overall better Offensively(would damn near be a clean sweep)
Give it up Matt with this Leafs fans sway polls BS. If that were true, the superior player over the last few seasons in Kadri with a better contract would not be getting dumpstered in a poll against Duchene. Anyways I voted for Karlsson for the simple fact he plays way more minutes.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Weird that you for some strange reason missed commenting about Matthews far superior goal numbers.

And I mean if you think that a defender adds more offense than a forward, can you explain why a center can't add more defensively? Or do you just argue things situationally as it suits you?

Goalscoring for defensemen are alot less than forward tho... highest ever by a defender is 48 goals.... almost exactly half of gretzkys 92 goals... actually 30 goals have only been broken 17 times by a defender... so karlssons 20 and 21 goal season ranks pretty high for a defender...and his 82 point season is 47th best season by a defender and the only one not from the 90's or further back... karlsson should not be underestimated offensively. That said it remains to be seen if matthews manages any top 50 seasons himself during his career but right now prime erik is ahead offensively. For his position atleast.

Its tough to compare between positions like this tho and i get the thinking that goals are a better meassurement of offense than points.

Reactions: HarrisonFord

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Which one of the following is he better offensively than:

McDavid
Kucherov
Stamkos
Crosby
Malkin
Matthews
Kane
Tarasenko
Backstrom
Ovechkin
Marchand
Tavares

I've got 3 separate lol gifs ready to go on your response

It depends on if you adjust based on position. Based on adjusting by position relative to the amount of points a defenseman gets relative to a forward, karlsson is #1 in the league.

If you base it on production regardless of position, then he's ahead of matthews, Tarasenko, backstrom, ovechkin, marchand, and tavares this year and others...

Reactions: Hugh Mungus

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Matthews by a lot... offensive Defensemen simply can't impact the game as much as a center.

What an outrageaously ridiculous comment haha. If the game is tied at the end does the team that scored with the centerman get the two points over the team that scored with a D man?

I just dont know how you type this and confidently think to myself 'yup im right'.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Just offense? Karlsson. In my opinion, he controls the play better than anyone in the league. If he were a forward, I've no doubt he'd be a hundred point player.

I hope Matthews gets to that level. But even if he tops at around 80 a year, I'll be happy.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Just offense? Karlsson. In my opinion, he controls the play better than anyone in the league. If he were a forward, I've no doubt he'd be a hundred point player.

I hope Matthews gets to that level. But even if he tops at around 80 a year, I'll be happy.
As a forward he would play ~6 minutes less per game, no way he would touch 100 points regularly. He would be Patrick Kane level at best.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Karlsson's harshest critics are Leafs fans.

Ik because I lurked their boards during last years playoff race and then during the playoffs. Sens just love proving them wrong. It was crickets during the eastern finals

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
LOL @ all the leafs fans who actually believe matthews is better than karlsson defensively

offensively: Karlsson AINEC
Defensively: Karlsson

shut her down.

Karlsson defensively = a bit better than Gardiner defensively

Matthews defensively = Kesler defensively (and he's only improving)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is such a weird comparison. How do you compare C to a D?

But i mean, Matthews has 54 goals in his last 104 games.

Karlsson has 20 in his last 107 games.

So everyone saying "EK ainec", are we just going to dismiss the fact that Matthews scores almost 3x the amount of goals ? Isn't scoring goals a pretty big part of offense ?

EK might have the best best vision+passing+skating combinations in the league for a dman, but as a scorer he's pretty damn mediocre. 20 goals for a defenseman is obviously a nice amount, but you also have to consider the fact that the guy plays like 25 mins a game and gets all the PP time in the world.

If it was possible for a C to play 25 mins a game, how many goals would Matthews have ?

Last edited:
Reactions: HarrisonFord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad