• AM

Votes: 68 29.2%
  • Tie

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This one is easy, as the poll indicates. EK, thought this poll would be closed already, Matthews is the better goal scorer as most fwds when you compare them to Defencemen. But EK is an offensive driver that goes even beyond his impressive stats line, as shown in the playoffs he was on the ice practically for all of Ottawa's goals for in the playoffs.

Jonah Jefferson

Jun 13, 2017
Karlsson it is. Nothing against Matthews, he is a beaut, but he is not on EKs impact level offensively just yet. Come to think of it, there are only a handfull of players that are. EK is that dominant of a creative force.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well im going to make this very clear for you. How many assists can be considered "easy points" vs how many goals can be considered easy goals. The ratio is probably shocking to you. You can't score a goal making a d to d pass. But you can get a point. That was the message i was trying to send with my "biased example".

Bolded: oh please. I asked if 4 secondary assists were better than 3 goals and you said yes. Yes they're points, but by your logic i could never argue goals > assists with you as long as the guy who has more assists has more points. So wouldn't that mean, you'd also say 0 goal 50 assist player is better offensively than 49 goal + 0 assist player. Is that hypothetical ridiculous? Of course, but you made it black and white for yourself.

Im using goals scored as one important element to compare two players offensive abilities, because you know, offense is ultimately putting the puck in the net. I thought we were stricly comparing these guys offense, and not staring too much at the position they played? Suddenly the most important factor in offense (scoring goals) is not a factor at all just because one is a defenseman? Like what? That would be like me saying forwards don't have to play D, but Matthews is pretty good at D, so if we compare Matthews to EK defensively, Matthews must be on a whole different level.

Did i ever say the player who scores more goals is automatically the better offensive player? No. I only said "are we going to dismiss the fact Matthews scores 3x more goals". As such your Zack Smith bull**** is not even relevant to anything i've said lol.

More babble. Let's luck at the polls so far. Thread lock down worthy due to lopsided results? hmmm perhaps?

Goals are a terrible way to compare forwards to defenseman and you know it.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
Where is this narrative that Matthews is amazing defensively coming from?

I'd say the gap between the two is bigger on the defensive end than offensive.

Karlsson>Matthews offensively
Karlsson>>Matthews defensively.

Dude stop. Karlsson best defensive attribute is his ability to play keep away. I would love for Matthews to have the puck on his stick and Karlsson on the ice at the same time.

Hard to take your 'credit' seriously when you have no idea how to evaluate hockey players.

Hard to take you seriously when you take the guy that has 10x less goals.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Dude stop. Karlsson best defensive attribute is his ability to play keep away. I would love for Matthews to have the puck on his stick and Karlsson on the ice at the same time.

Hard to take you seriously when you take the guy that has 10x less goals.

lol is this guy serious? You sound like you've never seen karlsson and how good he is at stealing pucks and going back the other way. Or how good he is at blocking shots and passes. Matthews doesn't do that as well. He isn't a puck thief like stone or karlsson.

Reactions: Jonah Jefferson

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
lol is this guy serious? You sound like you've never seen karlsson and how good he is at stealing pucks and going back the other way. Or how good he is at blocking shots and passes. Matthews doesn't do that as well. He isn't a puck thief like stone or karlsson.

He's really good at stealing the puck I'll give you that but he's not good at blocking shots or passes. You're such a homer.:laugh:

You probably think Karlsson is better than Doughty defensively.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I can't help but think you've literally never seen Matthews play before if you don't think he's a puck thief

Reactions: authentic

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's really good at stealing the puck I'll give you that but he's not good at blocking shots or passes. You're such a homer.:laugh:

He was 2nd in the NHL in blocked shots and i'm a homer for saying he's good at blocking shots? I feel like i'm arguing with someone who hasn't done any research on the subject at all. What's the point?

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Funny thing about this is Karlsson led the NHL in blocked shots last year and Matthews is easily one of the very best at stealing pucks. It's not just that he's a big body who separates people, his stickwork is incredibly good.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I can't help but think you've literally never seen Matthews play before if you don't think he's a puck thief

I said he isn't one like stone or karlsson. He is a puck thief though.

I'd like to add that a pass interception does not count as a takeaway. That is something that karlsson is probably the best in the league at. Call that thievery or not, but i do.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He was 2nd in the NHL in blocked shots and i'm a homer for saying he's good at blocking shots? I feel like i'm arguing with someone who hasn't done any research on the subject at all. What's the point?

Pretty sure he was 1st no? Either way though.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I said he isn't one like stone or karlsson. He is a puck thief though.

Honestly, he is. I wish I could get a highlight video of his work this season, one of the few players that I'm truly entertained by his ability to retrieve and keep the puck when he doesn't have it.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Pretty sure he was 1st no? Either way though.

He was for like 90% of the season but got passed in the last week or two when he was either not playing or playing with broken everything and probably avoided getting in the way to try to be able to play in the playoffs.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Honestly, he is. I wish I could get a highlight video of his work this season, one of the few players that I'm truly entertained by his ability to retrieve and keep the puck when he doesn't have it.

I think he's up there, but i think stone is a bit better, and if you include pass interception as thievery then i think karlsson is a bit better as well. I never said or implied that matthews is not among the leagues better thieves. I just think ottawa is blessed in that regard which is why they're so good on the counter attack. That and the system.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think he's up there, but i think stone is a bit better, and if you include pass interception as thievery then i think karlsson is a bit better as well. I never said or implied that matthews is not among the leagues better thieves. I just think ottawa is blessed in that regard which is why they're so good on the counter attack. That and the system.

A bit better? Stone is the best puck thief I have ever seen in my entire life. He steals the puck pretty much every shift he's on the ice, it's absolutely insane to watch. No player in the league is close to how good Stone is at stripping the puck away from people.

Btw the answer to the thread is Karlsson, he's one of the best offensive players in the league, and although he's been struggling a bit this year due to adjusting to his injury, an elite defender too. That's why Karlsson is a top 3 player in the game, and Matthews isn't.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've seen Matthews sweep a puck from an opposing player to himself along the boards from a distance, dangle a few players, lose it momentarily, then steal it right back and make a play. Multiple times. I think he is every bit as good as them, but Stone is the stick lift king.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
A bit better? Stone is the best puck thief I have ever seen in my entire life. He steals the puck pretty much every shift he's on the ice, it's absolutely insane to watch. No player in the league is close to how good Stone is at stripping the puck away from people.

Btw the answer to the thread is Karlsson, he's one of the best offensive players in the league, and although he's been struggling a bit this year due to adjusting to his injury, an elite defender too. That's why Karlsson is a top 3 player in the game, and Matthews isn't.

We'll see about that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What an horrible thread

The ridiculous claims you can read on here... Some Leafs fans are making it really though to read the main boards. I think it's because they were so desperate for so long for a great player and a good team. You'd think those years of suckage would have humbled them a bit.

Acting so proud and loud about their 8th Wonder of the World but they got him 1st overall because of how horrible their team was. I hope they picked a good player lol

People will say "it's normal that they're loud because they have the biggest fanbase, etc". Well, honestly I don't see the 30 other fanbases do that altogether...

Incoming people who will tell me to not read the main boards if I am not happy. The thing is I don't but as soon as I do, it's swarmed by Leafs fans and that ridiculous "pride"

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think he's suggesting Matthews will be.

But this poll is talking about the present. This poll isn't "Will Matthews be the better offensive player than Karlsson?" (In which my answer would still be no, Karlsson can completely carry and offense by himself).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad