Value of: Kaprizov or Erickson Ek for your team unprotected first.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
The only way either Ek or Kaprizov get traded is if they demand to be traded, and there is no indication that either of them will do so.

There are many reasons not to trade Ek or Kaprizov, but the biggest one is that these are the guys you want to build a team around. If Yurov or Rossi can't play with them, then it's those guys we need to look at trading, not our cornerstone pieces.

But we could trade them and then instantly fail at replacing them for the next ten or twenty years.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
And just to elaborate on my reasoning because I know I’ll get jumped by Wild fans for this…..

I half way think Kap is going to Gaborik us and I can’t stomach the thought of having wasted his years here and then getting nothing for him as he walks to free agency.

As far as Ek I think his value is sky high. We just may be in a position with Rossi having taken a step , Yurov looking like he has 1C written all over him and Khus showing 3c as his floor to move Ek and reshape the team.

My hopeful targets in moving Kap and Ek would be Levshunov and Demidov.
Ek just turned 27. Kaprizov, next month. So, both in primes. Ek has 5 more years at a very favourable cap hit. Kaprizov has two more years - with a NMC.

To be clear, your concern is the 2026 deadline and an inability to get full value in trade for Kaprizov, who you might be looking to move on from? The impact of which would mean a retool and building around Boldy and Rossi?

Let's say you do trade both, are JUST looking for picks? If you get a package of firsts you're looking at kids that will be far enough behind Boldy and Rossi that you'll be in the same pickle 4/5 years from now. If you're prepared to take a 20 year old player blue chip prospect as the main piece, you bring in someone that's in the same window as your theoretical new core.

Reactions: Viqsi

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Wild should keep them. Their main problem is having 15 mill less than other team in cap after the buyouts on Suter and Parise. In 2025/2026 is the time they can try and go all in as they get 13 million back.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not sure even Cellebrini projects to be as good of a player as Kaprizov in this draft.
No, but there is a 9 year age difference. For Ducks, you may have Kaprizov from age 27-29, and then when the rest of team team is more experienced for competing, then what? There's always a risk the NMC bites you in the butt during the UFA year. It doesn't make sense right now for Ducks. For the Wild, I think the hopes is to seek Kaprizov longer than the 2 years remaining.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Only player I’m trading Ek for is 1OA.

Wild can’t just operate under the assumption that Yurov/Rossi/Khusnutdinov are going to for sure be top-6 centers. This is the first time in forever that we might actually have depth at center, the last thing I want to do is trade that away.

Ek is on a long-term deal at a great price right in the middle of his prime. Wild are about to have an influx of ELC players & the dead cap coming off the books. Our Cup window is just about to start & I can’t see any reason why they would want to risk missing on a pick or needing to wait 3+ years for the player to develop.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Brock Nelson, Isles 1st, +,+. for KK. Not sure what the pluses are as the Isles don't have much and not sure what MN needs.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I was Guerin JEE wouldn't be a player I'd trade. I would move Kaprizov in the right deal, but not JEE. I get Kaprizov has more flash, but JEE contributes double to winning what Kaprizov does. I'd have a ton of interest if JEE was available from a Flames perspective, but I know he's not.

Reactions: redwings25

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Ek just turned 27. Kaprizov, next month. So, both in primes. Ek has 5 more years at a very favourable cap hit. Kaprizov has two more years - with a NMC.

To be clear, your concern is the 2026 deadline and an inability to get full value in trade for Kaprizov, who you might be looking to move on from? The impact of which would mean a retool and building around Boldy and Rossi?

Let's say you do trade both, are JUST looking for picks? If you get a package of firsts you're looking at kids that will be far enough behind Boldy and Rossi that you'll be in the same pickle 4/5 years from now. If you're prepared to take a 20 year old player blue chip prospect as the main piece, you bring in someone that's in the same window as your theoretical new core.
Kap has full trade protection that kicks in this summer , that’s the issue. Guerin walked him right to free agency if that’s what he chooses. It would set this franchise back a decade to have him walk for nothing and it’s happened to us before.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Kap has full trade protection that kicks in this summer , that’s the issue. Guerin walked him right to free agency if that’s what he chooses. It would set this franchise back a decade to have him walk for nothing and it’s happened to us before.
When I said the last two years of his deal, this summer is what I meant.

If you trade him at the draft it still brings up the scenario I mention. Are you better served getting prospects that are ready to play, or may have just started, instead of future picks? If you're going to build around Boldy and Rossi, would it be better to do it with guys closer in age and ready to play?

Who of the top 2024 prospects plays in the NHL next year? Celebrini? Maybe? A contender looking to add him is likely only going to net you late-in-a-round picks. That decreases the likelihood of immediate impact. All to say, again, that you're in the same spot 5 years from now with Boldy and Rossi. They're watching. How likely are they to sign max term deals as a result?

I'm not saying don't trade them. I'm saying it may be worth reevaluating what the centre piece(s) of your asked return are.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
JEE to the Habs for it, done. With him and hopefully a healthy Dach Habs wouldn't finish in the bottom 10 next year, so I'd definitely do it.

Wild probably don't.

Then again, I'd trade both the Habs 1st this year and next (theirs not Winnipeg, or Calgary/Florida's) for both

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There's no such thing as protected/unprotected picks when you trade at the draft. You receive the pick the team actually has.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

That's certainly the risk when you give out NMCs like Halloween candy like the Wild do. Another risk is that whatever picks/prospects we get for them to amount to a hill of beans.

It doesn't make any sense to trade away your best player(s) at this point, unless one of them has expressed a desire to be traded. The Wild will have a ton of cap space available just at the time where we will be negotiating his extension. Unless things turn totally pear shaped between now and then, I think an extension is likely.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
When I said the last two years of his deal, this summer is what I meant.

If you trade him at the draft it still brings up the scenario I mention. Are you better served getting prospects that are ready to play, or may have just started, instead of future picks? If you're going to build around Boldy and Rossi, would it be better to do it with guys closer in age and ready to play?

Who of the top 2024 prospects plays in the NHL next year? Celebrini? Maybe? A contender looking to add him is likely only going to net you late-in-a-round picks. That decreases the likelihood of immediate impact. All to say, again, that you're in the same spot 5 years from now with Boldy and Rossi. They're watching. How likely are they to sign max term deals as a result?

I'm not saying don't trade them. I'm saying it may be worth reevaluating what the centre piece(s) of your asked return are.
I think you’re a bit off here. Boldy Rossi Yurov Faber Wallstedt are the current core pieces and are all 20-22. In don’t see how adding two left 18 year olds that opens our window when the current guys are 24ish relates to what we have right now at all. It moves it back about 4’years from where we are now and currently we still have dead cap and some terrible contracts like Foligno and Freddy and Marjo. Levshunov is destroying a men’s league at 18 and I’m betting he’s nhl ready at 20. I’d make the same bet on Demidov. We’d also be opening up 14 million in additional cap space we could weaponize next year.

There's no such thing as protected/unprotected picks when you trade at the draft. You receive the pick the team actually has.
I guess it’s a bit too late to get any trades done before the lottery eh?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes. The trade deadline is over.

You occasionally see small transactions after the deadline, but nobody is acquiring Kirill Kaprisov post-deadline so he can play for them next year.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Yes. The trade deadline is over.

You occasionally see small transactions after the deadline, but nobody is acquiring Kirill Kaprisov post-deadline so he can play for them next year.
Would it even be allowed after both teams are eliminated from playoffs? Like if the ducks wanted to trade their 1st after both teams last regular season games could it happen?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what is our core after Ek and Kaprizov are gone? How many core-worthy players (assuming here Boldy and Faber would be part of that) are going to want to stick around while we're non competitive, waiting for the rest of this new core? Will that situation be something russian players (for instance) would leave russia for? Is there any chance at all we will get another player as good as Kaprizov or find a C as good or versatile as Ek?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Would it even be allowed after both teams are eliminated from playoffs? Like if the ducks wanted to trade their 1st after both teams last regular season games could it happen?
Yes, but he wouldn't be eligible to play for the Ducks until opening day next year.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
what is our core after Ek and Kaprizov are gone? How many core-worthy players (assuming here Boldy and Faber would be part of that) are going to want to stick around while we're non competitive, waiting for the rest of this new core? Will that situation be something russian players (for instance) would leave russia for? Is there any chance at all we will get another player as good as Kaprizov or find a C as good or versatile as Ek?
Core would be Boldy , Rossi , Yurov , Faber , Ohgren , Khus, Wally. That is a great core all the same age roughly.

Caufield for Kap ? Does a 1 for 1 make it ? Younger + more team control for a better player.
That is a really interesting proposal.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I don’t see the rational at all. Just going to give up on the best player the franchise has ever had because he might not sign?

Kaprizov has been a good solider for the Wild. What perceptively has he said or done that makes Wild fans do this?

Also, he’s been on the ice for 45 of the last 67 Wild goals. Wild don’t need to trade for a lottery pick if they move Kaprizov. They’ll be getting them…
It's 1 fan. I don't think a majority of Wild fans would trade either of these players.

This is basically, this:
VWdntp.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So no different than at the draft.
Yeah but if they did it at the draft, the player wouldn't be missing the remaining 14 games.

Why would anybody involved be interested in that for no benefit?

The trading team wouldn't want to put Kaprisov through that when they ostensibly have designs on signing him, the union probably won't love it, and if the Wild didn't want him for the games down the stretch, they would have traded him at the deadline.

There's a reason the deadline exists.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I just do not see the appeal other than that of the blind-bag dopamine rush of picking high and hoping you get a super rare. Yurov would be wise to just stay in Russia.

Reactions: MuckOG

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think you’re a bit off here. Boldy Rossi Yurov Faber Wallstedt are the current core pieces and are all 20-22. In don’t see how adding two left 18 year olds that opens our window when the current guys are 24ish relates to what we have right now at all. It moves it back about 4’years from where we are now and currently we still have dead cap and some terrible contracts like Foligno and Freddy and Marjo. Levshunov is destroying a men’s league at 18 and I’m betting he’s nhl ready at 20. I’d make the same bet on Demidov. We’d also be opening up 14 million in additional cap space we could weaponize next year.

What I'm saying is that you don't know that an 18 year old kid you draft this year is going to be ready for the fall or fall 2025, etc. Whereas a 20 year old high end prospect that's ready to play now would better fit with your group. And, what if the best off IS based on a 2025 and later first? It just further compounds it.

Rely on your own picks to back fill organizational depth. Obtain high end pieces in trade that you can insert now.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes