Value of: Kaprizov or Erickson Ek for your team unprotected first.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That’s going to be like a 16th and next years likely 20+. That’s not close enough. Would have to be Raymond.
Which would defeat the entire purpose of trading for Kaprizov. No one is going to gut their existing team to land him.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Which would defeat the entire purpose of trading for Kaprizov. No one is going to gut their existing team to land him.
Exactly , the wings don’t have the draft capital to make it happen and they shouldn’t trade Raymond for him. I’m just saying that’s what it would take.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Exactly , the wings don’t have the draft capital to make it happen and they shouldn’t trade Raymond for him. I’m just saying that’s what it would take.
It's a weird situation, where... no team that's drafting that high wants to trade that pick for a soon to be 27yo. But all the teams that would love to add a 27yo, probably aren't picking super high.

What's the closest recent comparable? Ottawa trading #7 for Debrincat? But Debrincat was 24, but not as good as Kaprizov. Not sure if that washed out. And also post-lottery.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
It's a weird situation, where... no team that's drafting that high wants to trade that pick for a soon to be 27yo. But all the teams that would love to add a 27yo, probably aren't picking super high.

What's the closest recent comparable? Ottawa trading #7 for Debrincat? But Debrincat was 24, but not as good as Kaprizov. Not sure if that washed out.
100% , not sure there even is a comparable and it’s likely not something that would ever happen. Anaheim may be the only one that really makes sense as a case could be made they are much farther along in their rebuild then their record would show. They’ve got some great pieces and Kap might instantly make them a playoff team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As good as JEE is, the Ducks don’t really need him. And while Kaprizov is theoretically worth our unprotected 1st, we would never do it because the odds of him re-signing with us beyond his current contract are very low. And we won’t be a contender during his current contract either.

Actually California is a very good place to live, and I'm sure Russian community there is pretty big. And Anaheim has a lot of good young players to hope the team's future is pretty bright. So I think Kaprizov can resign there. And imagine all those young talents playing with Kaprizov... Kirill is on pace for 120 points since January, 1st.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What kind of value do these two players have for unprotected 1st’s in this years draft? Would Anaheim be open to one of them for their first? Ideally I’d like to move them both for high picks.

What do other fanbases think who have top 6-7 picks?
Montreal maybe interested. We currently draft 7th. If we have the caproom. Both them 27 I imagine they are expensive.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Take it easy, Minnesota are getting a lot of cap space right about when Draisaitl becomes a free agent.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Why? In hopes that you could get a Kaprizov or Ek?

Adding either player makes the Ducks much closer to a contender.
Yes, but what if right when we are ready to make the playoffs he decides to test the market and make as much money as possible? That’s a risk the Ducks really don’t have to take. We haven’t exactly had a great history with Russian players (we’ve drafted like 3 in 25 years).

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I would 100% give up an unprotected first for EEK. Not as sure when it comes to Kaprizov.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
If I’ve learned one thing in life it’s that going unprotected when dealing with Minnesota is a bad idea.

On an unrelated note, I think this trade is a bad idea.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Man I think if we got 3 and 4 OA for them we’d really be setting up the next core for actual success.
Yeah, but there is no realistic chance of that happening. Teams don't part with their top 1-5 OA unless getting a ridiculous payment. It would be rare. It would probably take more than you're offering. And you think we can do it twice in the same draft?

And to be honest, it would not only terrify me having Guerin handle those trades, but I also wouldn't trust him making those picks. Seriously.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Yeah, but there is no realistic chance of that happening. Teams don't part with their top 1-5 OA unless getting a ridiculous payment. It would be rare. It would probably take more than you're offering. And you think we can do it twice in the same draft?

And to be honest, it would not only terrify me having Guerin handle those trades, but I also wouldn't trust him making those picks. Seriously.
I think Ek would land one for sure if dangled. Also valid point on Billy f***ing it up anyways. I mean Perrault dropped right in his lap and he slammed the rest of his cocktail , marched right up to the podium and took a consensus late 2nd at 21 😂

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I think Ek would land one for sure if dangled. Also valid point on Billy f***ing it up anyways. I mean Perrault dropped right in his lap and he slammed the rest of his cocktail , marched right up to the podium and took a consensus late 2nd at 21 😂
Must have been one strong cocktail.

Reactions: BagHead

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
13 million of dead cap space is cleared the season before Kap becomes a UFA, what the Wild do with that money in a higher cap environment will determine, IMHO, what Kap does in terms of wanting out.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Would take more than an unprotected 1st to get either. There is no Bedard in this draft

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think you move thoze guys for an unprotected first. You make that move with a sure thing. After the lottery. You want to trade them for #4 OA? IMO, you find a team that has a bunch of young guys ready to play. You need to give your fans something they can come to the rink for. Say Zegras and McTavish for KK. You get solid core pieces and they get a star to go next level.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The only way either Ek or Kaprizov get traded is if they demand to be traded, and there is no indication that either of them will do so.

There are many reasons not to trade Ek or Kaprizov, but the biggest one is that these are the guys you want to build a team around. If Yurov or Rossi can't play with them, then it's those guys we need to look at trading, not our cornerstone pieces.

Last edited:

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Anaheim may be the only one that really makes sense as a case could be made they are much farther along in their rebuild then their record would show. They’ve got some great pieces and Kap might instantly make them a playoff team.
With as bad as they've been once the final horn seals in the score on the board (there've been plenty of games where they've looked good but not quite good enough ... then there's the rest of the games...), the Ducks are looking at a pretty much guaranteed top five pick. They 'might' do it (1OA protected though) if they could talk to Kap's people and work out an extension prior to the trade. Without that though, I can't see it happening for just a full season rental.

And even if he was on the team, expectations are another playoff missing season next year (possibly two), and not really competitive for three. Yeah he'd be good, but not really needed 'right now'.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The Oilers were rumored to be taking JEE at 16OA in 2015… until Chiarelli pulled of the stupidest trade of his Oiler tenure… and that’s saying a lot. Although, I doubt the Oilers would have developed JEE as effectively as the Wild have.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
The thing is no one is going to make a trade until after the lottery thus making the idea of purchasing a lottery ticket unlikely. If we don't end up in the Top 3 or so I could see Buffalo being willing to make an offer on Eriksson-Ek now that we dealt Mitts. He could slot in as a defensive/2way center while and either boot Cozens to wing or give us a very solid 1C,2C,3C group

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad