Value of: Kaprizov or Erickson Ek for your team unprotected first.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I just don't understand the logic...

We have Kap, one of the best players in the league and we want to trade him away because... we want another Kap?

For a single pick? I'd have to think he'd be worth more than a single pick
We have a 29 year old Kap when we can compete and I’d say 50/50 he walks for free. That would be the most Minnesota thing that could possibly happen and you know it

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We have a 29 year old Kap when we can compete and I’d say 50/50 he walks for free. That would be the most Minnesota thing that could possibly happen and you know it
I mean, it's also circumstantial. If we're #1 in the West and looking like a force for the playoffs, you suggest we trade him away because why?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I mean, it's also circumstantial. If we're #1 in the West and looking like a force for the playoffs, you suggest we trade him away because why?
We aren’t number one in the west and the opportunity to trade him is his offseason or he has 100% control. This doesn’t all need to be relitigated. It’s a valid concern

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
We aren’t number one in the west and the opportunity to trade him is his offseason or he has 100% control. This doesn’t all need to be relitigated. It’s a valid concern
How many superstars have been traded away in their primes?

Crosby! Wait...
Ovechkin! No...
McKinnon! Hrmmmm...
McDavid! This is difficult...
P.Bergeron! No, that's not right...

Kap might not be at THAT level, but I consider him pretty damn close.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
You don’t trade 1st line players like Ek and Kaprizov unless they want out. That’s as simple as it gets. You definitely don’t trade both.
Ok , I’ll just continue to enjoy the first round exits. Everyone else seems to enjoy them. Guess I’m the odd one that doesn’t. Ope …good try boys. Better luck next year. We almost had em. They just had a hot goalie. We were so close.

Crosby! Wait...
Ovechkin! No...
McKinnon! Hrmmmm...

How many of those superstars won their teams cups by age 27 and signed long term willingly?

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Ok , I’ll just continue to enjoy the first round exits. Everyone else seems to enjoy them. Guess I’m the odd one that doesn’t. Ope …good try boys. Better luck next year. We almost had em. They just had a hot goalie. We were so close.

How many of those superstars won their teams cups and signed long term willingly?
They can't win you the Cup if they're not on your team...

So the Oilers should trade away McDavid because he hasn't won them the Cup yet? It's simple, having a superstar on your team provides you better chances of winning the Cup than if said player wasn't on your team.

Nobody likes first round exits. That's just a stupid strawman argument.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

How many of those superstars won their teams cups by age 27 and signed long term willingly?
The part that isn’t computing is that trading Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek for picks doesn’t equate to winning playoff rounds. It puts you further from achieving that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The part that isn’t computing is that trading Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek for picks doesn’t equate to winning playoff rounds. It puts you further from achieving that.
1710821816216.png

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Matt Boldy is one of the best young stars in the game and is signed to a crazy cheap deal.

But if we trade Kap, Ek and Boldy that will turn the franchise around with magic. Might as well see what we can get for Faber, doesnt fit the window or something something, end sarcasm.

Reactions: Gurglesons

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Crosby! Wait...
Ovechkin! No...
McKinnon! Hrmmmm...

Not that I support the notion of trading Kap or Ek but I noticed you left a couple of names off that list that were traded.

Lets not pretend like trading away Superstars doesnt happen...it just doesn't happen for a single unprotected first in a somewhat Meh draft class.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Not that I support the notion of trading Kap or Ek but I noticed you left a couple of names off that list that were traded.

Lets not pretend like trading away Superstars doesnt happen...it just doesn't happen for a single unprotected first in a somewhat Meh draft class.
Go on…

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Players drafted this year will be 5 drafts away from Boldy, and 4 drafts away from Rossi, Faber and Khusnutdinov.

Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek are 4 drafts away from Boldy and 5 drafts away from Rossi, Faber and Khusnutdinov.

Maybe this would worth somewhat exploring if we also finished with our own top 5 pick, but even then it'd would still be pretty hard to stomach. Eriksson Ek, and Kaprizov if he stays, can still be very much a part of a contending team even up to 8 years from now.
Age wise its the same but youre forgetting the 3 years of ELC and 5+ years of control.

Crosby! Wait...
Ovechkin! No...
McKinnon! Hrmmmm...

I mean
Karlsson
Subban
Weber
Nash
Carter
Gaborik
Hossa
Eichel
Stone

Like, theres a lot.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sabres fan here. We do this immediately.

Yeah, I’d happily do this for either player tbh. JEE would backfill the loss of Mittelstadt and then some, and on a great value contract. Kaprizov fills less of a positional need as a winger, but he’s a stud so. And our 1st isn’t very likely to win the lottery anyway.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It certainly says something when fans of other teams are saying that this is a bad idea.
They're actively trying to help, even. I never thought I'd see the day where a forum full of people with competing interests became compelled to pool their energy to help an opponent from making a bad decision.

I think there's some validity to the concern that Kaprizov may not re-sign, but I also don't think you get anywhere close to his fair value by trading him. No team with a high 1st round pick needs him right now, and no team that needs him right now has a high pick, so there's not really a point in trading him.

• Love
Reactions: 57special

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
One more season of letting the youth develope and we suddenly have cap space to improve the team or fill some holes. I wouldn't mind a high end D long term and maybe a quality wing on a short-term deal to add some much needed scoring depth. Hopefully we have Yurov in the mix by then too. Trading ek and kap when we are this close seems crazy.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
One more season of letting the youth develope and we suddenly have cap space to improve the team or fill some holes. I wouldn't mind a high end D long term and maybe a quality wing on a short-term deal to add some much needed scoring depth. Hopefully we have Yurov in the mix by then too. Trading ek and kap when we are this close seems crazy.
This close? The team is garbage and not making the playoffs. Sweet f*** MN sports fans are dumb. 21-22 was a much better Wild team than this year or next year and they got bodied in the first round. It’s not working

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I understand the OP logic. Minnesota has been a middling team for a along as the Wild existed. There’s history of them losing their star forward for nothing. Selling high on them and finally start a proper rebuild is not the craziest idea I’ve heard on this board.

However Kaprizov and Ek would both bring more than a top 5 pick in return. I’d say unless the other team is offering 1st overall, they would need to add some significant pieces.

Think like 3rd overall + A prospect for Kaprizov, 5th overall + B prospect for Ek

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I’d do JEE for the Habs first rounder unprotected.

27 years old, 6’1, 210 pounds, signed for five more years at 5.25 million, 60 points in 60 games this year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Really?

Gretzky was traded in his prime....many Superstars have been traded over the years.
Gretzky was traded by an owner who was in over his head, broke, and became an outcast in his own province, if not country, due to said deal. Let's stop pretending it was a "normal" trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad