JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
100% my thoughts also, The whole Hyman thing is a prime example for me- his justification was that every high skilled player he's coached has said the same thing; "give me a guy who works hard and gets me the puck". This isn't a guy picking line combos on NHL18 trying to fill the chemistry bar, its based on actual feedback from superstars like Datsyuk, and if hes asked a guy like Dats who he wants to play with... why wouldn't he ask Matthews? Id bet money that a big reason Hyman is still on Matthews' wing is Auston Matthews himself.

I hadn't thought of that but that could well be a part of it. If he asks Kadri before games who he wants to go up against it's reasonable to assume that he's talked with Matthews about who he'd like to play with. I don't think he's giving him the final say or anything but getting his input/thoughts, sure why not? It stands to reason that making players part of the process only makes them buy in more. Man I love where this team is headed.

Reactions: RLF

RLF

May 5, 2014
I hadn't thought of that but that could well be a part of it. If he asks Kadri before games who he wants to go up against it's reasonable to assume that he's talked with Matthews about who he'd like to play with. I don't think he's giving him the final say or anything but getting his input/thoughts, sure why not? It stands to reason that making players part of the process only makes them buy in more. Man I love where this team is headed.

And Babcock does a very good job at getting players to buy in. He is a task master, but that doesn't mean he is a dictator. I would not be surprised if he takes time to listen to players, I'd be surprised if he didn't actually.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
2 games & 2 GWG for Brownie at ES = 2 Leaf Wins, since Babs made the new JVR - Bozak -- Brown trio.

Perhaps most important defensively they're no longer bleeding goals against.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
brown is playing very well and looks improved from last year where he was pretty good already, and marner is still getting enough ice time, and we winning so all is good

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
2 games & 2 GWG for Brownie at ES = 2 Leaf Wins, since Babs made the new JVR - Bozak -- Brown trio.

The line has looked better but I still would like to see what JVR and Bozak look like apart. Marlaeu- Bozak- Marner I think would be a better line as Bozak seems to work best with shooters and Marleau can still play defense.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Brown is so important to us. Sometimes I'm not sure if people realize his importance. As bad as we might need a top 4 D, I can't bring myself to move Brown out for it. I firmly believe you win championships with this type of player around the core.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The line has looked better but I still would like to see what JVR and Bozak look like apart. Marlaeu- Bozak- Marner I think would be a better line as Bozak seems to work best with shooters and Marleau can still play defense.

If Brown keeps performing on the Bozak line, and Marner is ready to be released from the doghouse, I like the idea of flipping Marner with Leo. I don't see many other options.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How the heck do you consider trading Brown. His cap is great and his play better! The line looks better with Brown.

Marner can stay on the 4th, put Leivo in there with Moore.

Reactions: PromisedLand

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Definitely makes sense to swap Marner and Komarov, Brown has looked really good on that line. I don't care if that's the "match-up line" Marner is more than capable of playing against tough competition if he has capable defensive players with him. On top of that, both Marleau and Kadri are good shooters and have solid finishing ability, I think Mitch would complement them well.

Reactions: Magic Man

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Definitely makes sense to swap Marner and Komarov, Brown has looked really good on that line. I don't care if that's the "match-up line" Marner is more than capable of playing against tough competition if he has capable defensive players with him. On top of that, both Marleau and Kadri are good shooters and have solid finishing ability, I think Mitch would complement them well.

I think swapping Marleau and Marner is more likely. Babcock won't break up Kadri and Komarov.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I wouldn't mind seeing
Leivo-Moore-Marner.
Leivo can score and has more offensive ability than martin and I'm sure they'd be defensively sound enough. Probably won't happen though. Either way I don't think you can go back to JVR-Bozak-Marner anytime soon with how well brown is doing on that line.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think swapping Marleau and Marner is more likely. Babcock won't break up Kadri and Komarov.

Marleau is a LW and Marner a RW. This isn't a likely swap even if you move Leo back to LW to accommodate Marner. IMO

Besides Babcock has been impressed with Marleau so why would he be demoted to a 4th liner when he is playing well and also Leafs highest paid forward.

Marner is in the coaches doghouse right now, and his play is earning him 4th line demotion at present. To move up he is competing with other RWs in Nylander, Komarov and Brown.

Brown looks like he is seizing the opportunity to play with better players at Marner's expense, and Marner is going to have to try and get that spot back if he wants to move back up into the top 9.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Marleau is a LW and Marner a RW. This isn't a likely swap even if you move Leo back to LW to accommodate Marner. IMO

Besides Babcock has been impressed with Marleau so why would he be demoted to a 4th liner when he is playing well and also Leafs highest paid forward.

Marner is in the coaches doghouse right now, and his play is earning him 4th line demotion at present. To move up he is competing with other RWs in Nylander, Komarov and Brown.

Brown looks like he is seizing the opportunity to play with better players at Marner's expense, and Marner is going to have to try and get that spot back if he wants to move back up into the top 9.

I just don't see Babcock taking Komarov off for Marner, the only possibility I saw was if they swapped Marleau.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
imo jvr is the piece that is making things awkward.

hyman-matthews-nylander
marleau-bozak-marner
komorov-kadri-brown
martin-moore-fehr
leivo

trade jvr, improve team defense and everything will fall into place. marner is not able to cover for bozak AND jvr defensive shortcomings. marleau+marner should be able to cover for bozak. brown will work well anywhere but we know kadri+brown are solid. we also would not need to choose between moore and fehr. both deserve a shot. they know it can be their last chance. both work hard and deserve a run at the cup.

not sure what we could get for jvr. might be worth letting him negotiate extension with a team first so we can get proper value? lots of teams can use a top line lw.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
All these issues are caused by Bozak. Just clogging the whole thing up.

Ditch Bozak, move willy to C, and then suddenly all the players fall into place perfectly.

Frankly Zeke I doubt they will ever move Nylander to center because he and Matthews have great chemistry and are a dynamic duo, moving Nylander to play center may deminish both Nylander and Matthews goal production and not increase total team goal production.

Getting rid of Bozak will eventually happen, so too will JVR be history along with other players but I can't see them breaking up Matthews/Nylander at least in the near future.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In my mind, it has to be Brown. The line seems to be much more stable defensively with him.

By the same token, moving Marner to Kadri's line could give us another lethal weapon if they develop chemistry.

Only one way to find out Babs...

Reactions: Magic Man

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
As been said by many others, Brown, atleast at the moment (given its only been 2 games), seems to have stabilized that line defensively. Before we had 2 lines that weren't doing very well, Martin-Moore/Fehr-Brown and JVR-Bozak-Marner, Now we have atleast 1 of the lines seemingly fixed. So its how do we fix that 4th line. I personally can't see Babs moving Komo there as he really likes Kadri-Komo together (much like Hyman-Matthews). I do like the idea of when we aren't playing very physical teams we should sub Leivo in: Leivo-Moore-Marner could be a ridiculous 4th line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I just don't see Babcock taking Komarov off for Marner, the only possibility I saw was if they swapped Marleau.

Oh I agree Babcock works in pairs and then finding a 3rd that works thereafter. Kadri & Komarov are a pair he likes together and are used against other teams top players defensively.

Hyman + Matthews, Kadri + Komarov, and Bozak + JVR have been his duo's lock in stone, so the moving parts are 3rd player on each line.. Babcock only rotates the 3rd player last year and this year.

So the moving pieces are wingers Nylander, Marleau, Brown and Marner at the coaches disposal.

Marner needs to on merit outplay Nylander or Brown other RWs to move up into the top 9 again. (barring injuries which we don't wish/want).

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm fine with leaving Marner there for now but if we are doing that I really do believe Kapanen needs to come in to replace Martin.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Brownie is awesome but lets not forget that Marner to the 4th line was as much a message to bozak+jvr as it was to Mitch.

last 2 games I have seen JVR skate and compete instead of floating. If you dont believe me just rewatch the last 2 games.

if bozak+jvr were doing that from the begining we wouldnt be have this conversation

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I'm fine with leaving Marner there for now but if we are doing that I really do believe Kapanen needs to come in to replace Martin.

Thing is, Kappy plays a totally different game then Martin, so not sure he's the replacement for him there. I think Kappy is a top 9 guy.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh I agree Babcock works in pairs and then finding a 3rd that works thereafter. Kadri & Komarov are a pair he likes together and are used against other teams top players defensively.

Hyman + Babcock, Kadri + Komarov, and Bozak + JVR have been his duo's lock in stone, so the moving parts are 3rd player on each line.. Babcock only rotates the 3rd player last year and this year.

So the moving pieces are wingers Nylander, Marleau, Brown and Marner at the coaches disposal.

Marner needs to on merit outplay Nylander or Brown other RWs to move up into the top 9 again. (barring injuries which we don't wish/want).

Really? I didnt see Babs out there did I miss it?

:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm not surprised at how well Brown is doing with 2 GWGs in 2 games while stabilizing the JVR- Bozak pairing in the process or at least zero summing the goal differentials in the process.

Marner was a -1 last night as his 4th line got scored against which is not helping his case either, to steal his old job back.

This switch by the coach seems to be having the desired results that Babs was hoping for when he made it and it has resulted in 2 big Leaf wins which is really the big picture that is most important.

Reactions: Sypher04

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad