JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
lol. Yes, he can do that and not suggesting he doesn't. He did follow a D to the net and then engage in the corner at least once. I still think the biggest issue is his first few steps, they are so slow and he has trouble keeping up. He can't play one on one because of those first few slow steps. Guys are away from him before he can get going. His lack of initial foot speed is an issue defensively, but his ability to score will always make him valuable to any team...especially those he need scoring.

Sums him up pretty well I'd say. Maybe that's all there is to it, he knows he's too slow to be effective on D so why bother even trying, save the energy for when we get the puck again. I say that tongue in cheek but maybe there's some truth there too. Such a frustrating player, gifted on offence, will always have value for that reason but watching him on D is just so damn frustrating. LA is looking for help, I swear that's a deal that should just happen already. Let them work out an extension with JVR, put him next to Kopitar who might be the ideal centre for him, ship us Muzzin and both teams should be very happy.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Liked the complexion of this line a lot more with Brown on it, it's interesting that you can add a significantly less talented player to a line and still make it better, simply based on the attributes the new player possesses. Can't keep Marner on the fourth line for long though, he's too good to stay there.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Liked the complexion of this line a lot more with Brown on it, it's interesting that you can add a significantly less talented player to a line and still make it better, simply based on the attributes the new player possesses. Can't keep Marner on the fourth line for long though, he's too good to stay there.

He is now a Rover.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Maybe the answer is to leave Brown with Bozak and JVR and switch Marner and Komarov.

Martin-Moore/Fehr-Komarov is a prototypical 4th line that could also handle defensive assignments.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babs looks like a genius here.

He swaps Brown on to the line, and he scores the winning goal and the team posts a shutout on the night.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Maybe the answer is to leave Brown with Bozak and JVR and switch Marner and Komarov.

Martin-Moore/Fehr-Komarov is a prototypical 4th line that could also handle defensive assignments.
That's what I'd like to see him do. I think adding Marner to the Kadri-Marleau shutdown line would teach him a lot and he'd do a pretty good job IMO, although Komarov is there because he's an expert defensively.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore/Fehr-Komarov

Beautiful.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That's what I'd like to see him do. I think adding Marner to the Kadri-Marleau shutdown line would teach him a lot and he'd do a pretty good job IMO, although Komarov is there because he's an expert defensively.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Martin-Moore/Fehr-Komarov

Beautiful.

honestly trade komarov in this scenario and bring in kapanen on 4RW, that's a win-win-win. Komarov isn't providing the same level of play we signed him for anyway AND is a UFA at the end of the season

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I've been saying this since the start of the season... Marner needs to be moved to the Kadri line, Brown to the Bozak line and Komarov to the 4th line. We are not really using the Kadri line as a shutdown line anymore like last season (Komarov-Kadri-Brown) so there really is no point in having Komarov there instead of Marner.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Moore - Komarov
Leivo/Fehr

The JVR/Bozak line looked so much better with Brown there. And I saw Marner on the Kadri/Marleau line at some point during the game, and they looked terrific as well.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe he is a genius.........

This. Amazing how much his decisions get questioned. I don't always understand them myself but hey, the guy didn't win his rep in a lottery, he earned it. Maybe we're just so used to having him around that we've forgotten what life was like before him. In that sense, despite getting paid the big bucks Babcock might even be underrated in this town. Me, I still love watching him getting interviewed and hang on his every word, I am still thrilled beyond words that he came to Toronto and I marvel at the stability he has brought to this team.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
honestly trade komarov in this scenario and bring in kapanen on 4RW, that's a win-win-win. Komarov isn't providing the same level of play we signed him for anyway AND is a UFA at the end of the season
I'd keep him around until the end of this season and let him walk because he'd be great to fill in for Hyman/Brown/Marleau/Marner got injured on their respective lines.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's funny, I love watching his interviews as well, and I hate watching anyone else's interviews for the most part because the media is annoying.

Yeah I don't even watch them often because I also find the media annoying. Every time I do though I think wow, I just love listening to this guy talk. :)

Reactions: Mugzy97

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
All these issues are caused by Bozak. Just clogging the whole thing up.

Ditch Bozak, move willy to C, and then suddenly all the players fall into place perfectly.
I wouldn't touch the Matthews-Nylander combination with a 10-foot pole.

I think the perfect solution is moving JVR. Your lines become:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Fehr/Leivo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wouldn't touch the Matthews-Nylander combination with a 10-foot pole.

I think the perfect solution is moving JVR. Your lines become:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Bozak-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Fehr/Leivo
Yep, JVR is the square peg for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Some Leaf fans wanted Marner not tethered to the JVR and Bozak, and having to carry them.

Be careful what you wish for.

#FreeMitch

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Having so much depth will be handy if we get any injuries but I really don't like Marner on the fourth line. I didn't think he had a great game yesterday, he seems a little off I hope with a little more power play time he get's some of his mojo back.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Right. Why discuss deficiencies on a discussion board. All is just fine. We should wait until they start losing before making any comments
The problem is that the opposing team could score a stinker from center ice and as long as Bozak was on the ice half the board would be posting "Of course it's Bozak, trade him!" Bozak is definitely the furthest thing from a perfect player but the amount of times I've seen people shit on him and JVR for absolutely no reason is astounding. Many posters here are so blinded by their hatred/love of certain players that they can't view any play objectively.

Reactions: Nifty Willy

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The problem is that the opposing team could score a stinker from center ice and as long as Bozak was on the ice half the board would be posting "Of course it's Bozak, trade him!" Bozak is definitely the furthest thing from a perfect player but the amount of times I've seen people **** on him and JVR for absolutely no reason is astounding. Many posters here are so blinded by their hatred/love of certain players that they can't view any play objectively.

Good point. They are under a microscope right now

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Think the best move by Babs would be rotating Komarov and Marner on the Kadri line, Komarov playing on it when its a home game so its a matchup line, and Marner playing on it in away games since they're usually never playing a line that you wanted to shut down.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
The problem is that the opposing team could score a stinker from center ice and as long as Bozak was on the ice half the board would be posting "Of course it's Bozak, trade him!" Bozak is definitely the furthest thing from a perfect player but the amount of times I've seen people **** on him and JVR for absolutely no reason is astounding. Many posters here are so blinded by their hatred/love of certain players that they can't view any play objectively.
I think most fans are objective. Take tonight's game for example.

Toronto allowed 3 goals, none while shorthanded, all at even strength.

The 4th line allowed a goal, principally when both Leafs defensemen fell over each other and wound up in the corner together on their rears. Kind of funny.

Who was on the ice for the other two goals? There is a definite pattern there. The Matthews line was good and Kadri line was good these few games. Hardly any goals go in the the other way.

Come to think of it, the JVR-Bozak-Marner combination still on the ice for all the goals against tonight. At least they got 2 goals, and the top two lines did the rest.

If the Bozak line can play the other team's line that they face, play them even, the Leafs will be dominant because those two other lines looking that good right now, IMHO.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
This. Amazing how much his decisions get questioned. I don't always understand them myself but hey, the guy didn't win his rep in a lottery, he earned it. Maybe we're just so used to having him around that we've forgotten what life was like before him. In that sense, despite getting paid the big bucks Babcock might even be underrated in this town. Me, I still love watching him getting interviewed and hang on his every word, I am still thrilled beyond words that he came to Toronto and I marvel at the stability he has brought to this team.

100% my thoughts also, The whole Hyman thing is a prime example for me- his justification was that every high skilled player he's coached has said the same thing; "give me a guy who works hard and gets me the puck". This isn't a guy picking line combos on NHL18 trying to fill the chemistry bar, its based on actual feedback from superstars like Datsyuk, and if hes asked a guy like Dats who he wants to play with... why wouldn't he ask Matthews? Id bet money that a big reason Hyman is still on Matthews' wing is Auston Matthews himself.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2