JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bozak's trying hard about 50% of the time now.

He completely gave up on the backcheck on this one though:

So clearly Marner wasnt the problem after all. Interesting. You go to the previous posts and it says that Marner being off the line has changed so much apparently.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So clearly Marner wasnt the problem after all. Interesting. You go to the previous posts and it says that Marner being off the line has changed so much apparently.
I don't read any posts from posters who've had an agenda against Marner since day 1.

Reactions: stickty111

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

How is that on Bozak? There were two defenders behind Bozak and only two attackers.

Marner wasn't the only player playing badly but he hasn't looked the same this season either. He was fumbling the puck a lot last night, for him at least.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How is that on Bozak? There were two defenders behind Bozak and only two attackers.

Marner wasn't the only player playing badly but he hasn't looked the same this season either. He was fumbling the puck a lot last night, for him at least.
I was pointing out Bozak's laughable effort on the backcheck.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I always get the biggest chuckle when I read comments about how hard someone is trying from keyboard warriors.
Anyone who thinks a player like Bozak isn't playing his ass off is clueless. Guy has had to work for every step of his career. Some on here are truly beyond pathetic with their hate on.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I always get the biggest chuckle when I read comments about how hard someone is trying from keyboard warriors.
Anyone who thinks a player like Bozak isn't playing his ass off is clueless. Guy has had to work for every step of his career. Some on here are truly beyond pathetic with their hate on.
I'll take the wins however constructed. It doesn't matter if your favourite player isn't on a line with your other favourite player. Just win. We could be the new model someday. It used to be you had a top 6, bottom 6, then top 9, 4th line, now we sport 4 lines. What's not to like. For the moment the issues on that line (all 3 players) has been relieved. This is good.

Reactions: The Apologist

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

:laugh: yea okkkk......

he is playing his ass off to be on the negative side of goal differential even in sheltered minutes while the 2nd year players (hyman, matthews, nylander) take the harder match up

LOL

even last season Brown with Kadri was seeing the harder match ups

playing his ass off ... friggen joke!

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
:laugh: yea okkkk......

he is playing his ass off to be on the negative side of goal differential even in sheltered minutes while the 2nd year players (hyman, matthews, nylander) take the harder match up

LOL

even last season Brown with Kadri was seeing the harder match ups

playing his ass off ... friggen joke!
even-when-i-hb2yc3.jpg

J7FB5Q

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I wonder if would go as far as to refuse to acknowledge that he is a homegrown player?

Worked his way on to the roster and awarded the assistant captain for years. Relied on by multiple coaches and not traded at the deadline by multiple GMs. Spent his entire professional career here in our system.

Sort of our own "birther" controversy.... ?

Reactions: The Apologist

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wasnt that due to his cancer treatment though?

Who knows, internet and all. From his face he looked pudgy I guess. Either way I always thought he was a good player being held back by Bozak.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The line has looked better but I still would like to see what JVR and Bozak look like apart. Marlaeu- Bozak- Marner I think would be a better line as Bozak seems to work best with shooters and Marleau can still play defense.

Agreed. And I imagine it will happen when that line goes off the rails again

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Who knows, internet and all. From his face he looked pudgy I guess. Either way I always thought he was a good player being held back by Bozak.

He's a great player. Just not the center piece Toronto was hoping for.

He doesn't have the right personality for it.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Bozak is just too slow plain and simple. He always seems to be a step behind the play and has 0 transition game whatsoever. He should just be a 3rd line checking center who takes key faceoffs. Putting Marner, or any other skilled players, on his line makes no sense at all.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So Babcock has been switching around his usage of lines as of late with Kadri/Matthews/Nylander ext getting like 6-7 more in of icetime than Bozak/JVR.

SeeMs he's not all that happy with their play

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So Babcock has been switching around his usage of lines as of late with Kadri/Matthews/Nylander ext getting like 6-7 more in of icetime than Bozak/JVR.

Who is? Am still steamed at the way the so called "vets" play...

It may also be related to Leafs not negotiating with either of them signalling that their services may no longer be required after this season

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

They're a 3rd line so logically they would get less TOI/g.

If you sort forwards by ATOI/g

1) Matthews ..... 17:47
2) Nylander ...... 17:24
3) Hyman .......... 17:10
--------------------------
4) Marleau ...... 16:50
5) Kadri ............. 16:16
6) Komarov ....15:30
---------------------------
7) Marner ......... 14:58
8) Bozak ........... 14:38
9) JVR ................ 14:14
------------------------------
Brown ............... 14:19

Ice time goes right down lines with #1 Matthews, #2 Kadri and then #3 Bozak (with Marner or Brown).

No question Babcock shelters the 3rd line both in opposition they face (Q of C) and TOI/g they get per game.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They're a 3rd line so logically they would get less TOI/g.

If you sort forwards by ATOI/g

1) Matthews ..... 17:47
2) Nylander ...... 17:24
3) Hyman .......... 17:10
--------------------------
4) Marleau ...... 16:50
5) Kadri ............. 16:16
6) Komarov ....15:30
---------------------------
7) Marner ......... 14:58
8) Bozak ........... 14:38
9) JVR ................ 14:14
------------------------------
Brown ............... 14:19

Ice time goes right down lines with #1 Matthews, #2 Kadri and then #3 Bozak (with Marner or Brown).

No question Babcock shelters the 3rd line both in opposition they face (Q of C) and TOI/g they get per game.

He absolutely shelters the line but looking at these numbers things become even more dramatic

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
it's not his man, the reason is because there are two Dmen back and in position

as the centre he takes third guy entering the zone on a rush....Babcock's systems are pretty simple when defending

Wtf? Bozak is suppose to make zone entry difficult by pressuring so that then the puck can be recovered by the D-man giving leafs possession

Babcock isn't even using Bozak, a "vet", in a harder match ups

If you fail to see that Babcock's system is all about pressuring the puck carrier when defending then I don't even know what to say.....

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Don't even want to think of the evil Babcock would do if that was Nylander. Would he join Marner on the fourth line? Maybe scratched for Leivo?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
it's not his man, the reason is because there are two Dmen back and in position

as the centre he takes third guy entering the zone on a rush....Babcock's systems are pretty simple when defending

Obviously, you don't cover a man already covered and leave open the late man coming in.

Now if this was Ronnie's system maybe you all chase the puck carrier?

RLF

May 5, 2014
He absolutely shelters the line but looking at these numbers things become even more dramatic

Those minutes also have to do with less penalties the past couple of games so more 5 on 5 ice time available. It may have looked closer to this the first 5 games as well if there were not so many penalties. It may be a bit misleading, but definitely they are sheltered.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Obviously, you don't cover a man already covered and leave open the late man coming in.

Now if this was Ronnie's system maybe you all chase the puck carrier?

Yea, that's a tough one to put all on Bozak. His responsibility is the late man, you can see him check his shoulder and even the wings bench for guys coming on. It looks bad though. Hainsey misses the shot block and then can't recover. If Bozak chases and the late guy gets the puck, he would take fault there as well. Really, I see it as a combo of Hainsey getting too deep and Bozak should have went a little deeper taking away the passing lane. I don't see it as much his man, as I do it was his passing lane to cover especially with Hainsey so deep and Larkin pulling up.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Those minutes also have to do with less penalties the past couple of games so more 5 on 5 ice time available. It may have looked closer to this the first 5 games as well if there were not so many penalties. It may be a bit misleading, but definitely they are sheltered.

i agree that is a plausible explanation but i think if you look at +/- most leafs are around even or + except for jvr-bozak-marner. reducing their ice time also means there is less chance that we are scored on. the amount of goals we have given up in the past few games has also been reduced significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad