Around the league part 2

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Can't help but root for Dallas. They have the blend of vets and youth, skill and grit, and they let players like Robertson and Johnson lead the team and grow.

Aside from Heiskanen, they don't have other lottery picks. Just the capability to compose a team. And fill in character gaps along with skill gaps.

You don't need to take for years or sell your vets off to be good. You just have to let your roster grow. And part of that growth is identifying new roles for the old guard, ane finding purpose with your prospects.

And Johnston was a 2021 pick, mid first. Zero AHL time.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Can't help but root for Dallas. They have the blend of vets and youth, skill and grit, and they let players like Robertson and Johnson lead the team and grow.

Aside from Heiskanen, they don't have other lottery picks. Just the capability to compose a team. And fill in character gaps along with skill gaps.

You don't need to take for years or sell your vets off to be good. You just have to let your roster grow. And part of that growth is identifying new roles for the old guard, ane finding purpose with your prospects.

Dallas is exactly what Blake and Luc want to be but are too incompetent to be.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Dallas is a likable team. They’re like the good version of the Kings where they kept the old heads Benn and Seguin but actually drafted well and had a young core that took over the team.

Considering Blake is staying and getting worked over by EDM 3 years in a row was all for nothing, I would’ve much rather played Dallas and given them an easy out into the 2nd round and seen Vegas slap the Oilers around instead.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I dunno about Dallas. I think Colorado takes them out and faces Edmonton in the conf finals. East coast feels like NY vs Boston.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dallas is exactly what Blake and Luc want to be but are too incompetent to be.

They're not though

too many kids in key roles

they have to EARN their spots on the top line next to 25 minutes of Jamie Benn converted to C

Thomas Harley would be the #7 dman, can't play over Suter, plus they'd sign EriK Gudbrandson for toughness next to him

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
seguin is killing dallas. now THAT contract looks like a brisson special.

also edmonton sure looks like it has the easiest path to the wcf. whoever they would meet wouild be so beat up they'd be an easy mark for a well rested oilers team

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
The brass are trying to emulate Nashville anyways, but Dallas would be a better model. Stars have great scouting and development with a good mix of vets, talent, and youth. Also helps having Otter in goal. Kings would have absolutely been smoked in the 1st round by Dallas.

I still think they should start by poaching ex-Vegas players tho, should start with Stephenson or Marchessault.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

I'm cheering for Dallas to win the Cup so Jason Robertson can parade it down Huntington Drive this summer.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
IMG_0364.jpeg

Last edited:

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I was listening to NHL on Sirius this morning and they were talking about the Marner situation. They said they may just let him walk after this year rather than take a boat anchor of a contract back, because most GMs realize the importance of cap flexibility.

They then proceeded to say an easy trade would be PLD for Marner and they both laughed. The host said any GM taking PLD in a trade should be fired on the spot. Makes you feel really good to be a Kings fan.

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
He did and got fired. They got a new gm before this season now maybe he does something about it.
How many years do you give him with their current squad?

Should he go with ....

Being patient?

Minor tweaks?

Rebuild?

Semi rebuild?

It's tough, especially in the Land of the Leaf .

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
How many years do you give him with their current squad?

Should he go with ....

Being patient?

Minor tweaks?

Rebuild?

Semi rebuild?

It's tough, especially in the Land of the Leaf .
You mean what should the Leafs gm do?
Id think he looks at moving Marner and Tavares. Find whoever is available in the Kempe and Danault caliber player/cap hit range, a stud dman, good depth players and a goalie solution.
Toronto is a strange one because I think it has as much to do with the pressure and spotlight put on the players more so than it is their roster. Especially this year they were pretty deep and their goaltending wasnt as bad as years past.

Reactions: Sausages

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
In the presser following Bruins' game 7 vs TML, Brad Marchand looked like he'd been partially lobotomized.

And I see Keith Tkachuk went the way of Adam Deadmarsh when he didn't have to train any more. Not saying I'm not carrying a few pounds I don't need, but I just don't get how ex professional athletes can stand letting themselves go so far downhill after all that effort. Call me shallow.

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
You mean what should the Leafs gm do?
Id think he looks at moving Marner and Tavares. Find whoever is available in the Kempe and Danault caliber player/cap hit range, a stud dman, good depth players and a goalie solution.
Toronto is a strange one because I think it has as much to do with the pressure and spotlight put on the players more so than it is their roster. Especially this year they were pretty deep and their goaltending wasnt as bad as years past.
Yeah, it's super tricky.

Sounds like you're basically saying that the new GM makes minor tweaks, like his unsuccessful predecessors. They are always chasing the piece, like Tavares, and that stud defenseman was Muzzin one year. That was a a great trade (for us).

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah, it's super tricky.

Sounds like you're basically saying that the new GM makes minor tweaks, like his unsuccessful predecessors. They are always chasing the piece, like Tavares, and that stud defenseman was Muzzin one year. That was a a great trade (for us).
Moving Marner and Tavares would be a huge change but really I dont watch them enough to have a good enough opinion on what they should do. Not familiar with their pipeline to see what they have coming up either

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
In the presser following Bruins' game 7 vs TML, Brad Marchand looked like he'd been partially lobotomized.

And I see Keith Tkachuk went the way of Adam Deadmarsh when he didn't have to train any more. Not saying I'm not carrying a few pounds I don't need, but I just don't get how ex professional athletes can stand letting themselves go so far downhill after all that effort. Call me shallow.
It doesn't happen over night. It's a steady walk down hill of 10lbs every year for 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad