Player Discussion: Josh Bailey II

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I got this "vote for each division's captain on All-Star weekend" thing on my NHL app, and the 3 Islanders' options were JT, Eberle and Halak. Poor Bailey. I think someone working on the NBA app could have come up with better choices than that....

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
pre-season september 29 posted by a mod

proof that Justin Bailey is indeed good

3fb4475cca7628ff92195d711b6e531c.png

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What an amazing Christmas gift this was. Sure it is his contract year but this was strongly hinted at last year. Good for Josh, I just wish he had put it all together earlier.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Star of December
I am loving every second of this. However, if you would have told me Bailey would have more points than JT and be an NHL star of the month, while Lee had the most goals in the NHL, and we have a legit Calder candidate running the second line... I would have not believed we would be scratching for a WC spot.

Reactions: FourRings

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
this is a tough spot for Garth - magnified by the JT situation. I find that when Garth doesn't lock-up players in long term deals right away, his intention is to let them walk. I feel this way of deHaan with his 1 year deal, same for Bailey, Moulson (though he was dealt). In some cases, offers (speculating) were made (Vanek, MacDonald, Blake, Okposo) but nobody cried when they left, usually due to perceived value vs contracts.

Certain players are locked up early and to longer term deals, sometimes more than the perceived value at the time expecting growth in overall play (Hamonic, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Boychuk) - some work, some don't.

Not a criticism on Garth (God knows we have enough of that, from myself as well as many others) but the Isles are in a really tough spot with Bailey. He's having a Jason Blake 40-goal like season at the best time for him - but no way he's close to the value that he'll get on the open market. I've been a Bailey supporter since he broke into the league and I like him as a player - but this is BEYOND a career year for him.

He'll get more than Ladd and Okposo got, more than what JT's made the last 5 years, and if we re-sign JT, it makes little sense to pay Bailey as well. Especially with the enormous holes on defense and in goal, and with our top prospects still being forwards (Barzal, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Bellows, DalColle?) - no disrespect to Aho, Toews.

And you can't deal Bailey or deHaan (inj) at the deadline because the Isles MUST push for a playoff spot.

So it's likely Tavares has to watch another of his wingers walk while re-upping with a team with huge question marks on defense and in goal. Tough spot.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I am loving every second of this. However, if you would have told me Bailey would have more points than JT and be an NHL star of the month, while Lee had the most goals in the NHL, and we have a legit Calder candidate running the second line... I would have not believed we would be scratching for a WC spot.

Spot on. That's the irony and reality of this situation. I'd hate to have a lost season of all the things you mentioned to be derailed by D and G.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I would hate to have to part ways with Bailey, but $7.25m is too steep.

Very curious to see how Garth manages this. I really don't think it's too steep though, 7.25 for a guy who has 50 points in 39 games.

What Garth needs to do is manage the value contracts better going forward which he'll have the flexibility to do and we're already seeing with Pelechs deal.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Very curious to see how Garth manages this. I really don't think it's too steep though, 7.25 for a guy who has 50 points in 39 games.

What Garth needs to do is manage the value contracts better going forward which he'll have the flexibility to do and we're already seeing with Pelechs deal.
Very curious to see if Garth is still here after the craptastic season he has engineered.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
this is a tough spot for Garth - magnified by the JT situation. I find that when Garth doesn't lock-up players in long term deals right away, his intention is to let them walk. I feel this way of deHaan with his 1 year deal, same for Bailey, Moulson (though he was dealt). In some cases, offers (speculating) were made (Vanek, MacDonald, Blake, Okposo) but nobody cried when they left, usually due to perceived value vs contracts.

Certain players are locked up early and to longer term deals, sometimes more than the perceived value at the time expecting growth in overall play (Hamonic, Cizikas, Clutterbuck, Boychuk) - some work, some don't.

Not a criticism on Garth (God knows we have enough of that, from myself as well as many others) but the Isles are in a really tough spot with Bailey. He's having a Jason Blake 40-goal like season at the best time for him - but no way he's close to the value that he'll get on the open market. I've been a Bailey supporter since he broke into the league and I like him as a player - but this is BEYOND a career year for him.

He'll get more than Ladd and Okposo got, more than what JT's made the last 5 years, and if we re-sign JT, it makes little sense to pay Bailey as well. Especially with the enormous holes on defense and in goal, and with our top prospects still being forwards (Barzal, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Bellows, DalColle?) - no disrespect to Aho, Toews.

And you can't deal Bailey or deHaan (inj) at the deadline because the Isles MUST push for a playoff spot.

So it's likely Tavares has to watch another of his wingers walk while re-upping with a team with huge question marks on defense and in goal. Tough spot.

We've been part of a small but special group that has always supported Bailey. Oddly enough, it's those who have supported him the most over the years are the ones who think he should be allowed to walk if the price is too high or if Tavares doesn't re-sign. Weird how that has happened.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I still cannot believe that the guy we have all been crapping on since he donned an isles jersey is 6 pts shy of his career high....and it's only been 39 games. This dude gon git PAID! I'm hoping this isn't a contract year enigma. If it's not I hope Bailey doesn't price himself off the team or that snow will try to low ball him. He's sunk so many years into Bailey, it would be a shame to let him walk when all that waiting finally pays off.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I think $7m+ is too steep.
$6m per is as high as I would want Snow to offer.
I hope Bailey keeps this level of production up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad