Player Discussion: Josh Bailey II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thats BS. There is more than one time JT was lost in the sauce, and then JB was put back on his line and JT magically woke up. In fact JB has straight up been a better player than JT this year.
Great. Let’s put Josh Bailey with Brock Nelson and see how many points they account for.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Great. Let’s put Josh Bailey with Brock Nelson and see how many points they account for.
Nelson sunk JT at one time too... what is your point. Bailey is better than you give him credit for. Having a career year due to upcoming contract, likely. But he is 100% a first line winger and has definitely elevated JTs game.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think if you had Brock Center a line of Crosby and Kucherov they would have a hard time putting points up lOL
I have to agree, I'm off the Nelson bandwagon. Takes forever to get his shot off and just has no bite to his game. Passenger player and may be counting the days until summer vacation. The weather is nice in Minnesota in the spring and summer with some cool golf courses... Must drive Weight and his band of tough guys crazy. The Isles need to have a bottom six that are tough to play against to win down the stretch I believe...

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I have to agree, I'm off the Nelson bandwagon. Takes forever to get his shot off and just has no bite to his game. Passenger player and may be counting the days until summer vacation. The weather is nice in Minnesota in the spring and summer with some cool golf courses... Must drive Weight and his band of tough guys crazy. The Isles need to have a bottom six that are tough to play against to win down the stretch I believe...
Jane is just that kind of player. No sandpaper, just tissue paper. And what makes you crazy is he has the size to at least be effective winning puck battles along the wall or take an opposing player off the puck. He rarely will engage and most frequently gives up and loses any attempt to battle. He will go to the front of the net on occasion but should do it more often, and when he goes there he vacates very quickly. He's a guy who could set screens or knock in deflections if he stayed there. It would transform his production from perimeter 20 goal scorer to 30 goal scorer. He is also not an assist guy because he is so disengaged. We could sell a 3x 20 goal scorer for something good even if we have to add a sweetener to it (calling Jeremy Collition)

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
If Bailey finishes out this season above 65 points he is a goner in FA for sure.
He has a family now and the market for back-to-back (average 60 point) scorers will force him to look for a deal we can not afford to give him while signing JT to a $9MM +/- deal the same year. Keeping Bailey means he falls off the cliff for the rest of the season, but there is no way he finishes less than 50 points if he remains healthy. Face it, he is gone on July 1.
I like Bailey and what he brings to the team now that he has finally arrived from the depths of mediocrity. The problem is that Bailey is not dynamic and cant carry a line or be anything but mediocre without a dynamic lime mate or two. If Buffalo were to sign him he would not thrive with Ryan O'Reilly but might do well with Eichel as an example. So the team offering him a deal would have need for a supportive, assist gathering 1st line RW to a dynamic scoring center. He would have to be inserted with at least one sniper/goal scorer to be as effective as he can be. No one would pay for his present production and assign him to a 2nd line role, not for the money he will command based on comparable metrics. Josh is an odd duck in that situation. Our best chance of keeping him at a "reasonable" cap figure is the extra year we can offer before FA kicks in. Regardless, it will be a pretty rich contract, >$5.5MM. Without JT he is a $4MM player IMO.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
If Bailey finishes out this season above 65 points he is a goner in FA for sure.
He has a family now and the market for back-to-back (average 60 point) scorers will force him to look for a deal we can not afford to give him while signing JT to a $9MM +/- deal the same year. Keeping Bailey means he falls off the cliff for the rest of the season, but there is no way he finishes less than 50 points if he remains healthy. Face it, he is gone on July 1.
I like Bailey and what he brings to the team now that he has finally arrived from the depths of mediocrity. The problem is that Bailey is not dynamic and cant carry a line or be anything but mediocre without a dynamic lime mate or two. If Buffalo were to sign him he would not thrive with Ryan O'Reilly but might do well with Eichel as an example. So the team offering him a deal would have need for a supportive, assist gathering 1st line RW to a dynamic scoring center. He would have to be inserted with at least one sniper/goal scorer to be as effective as he can be. No one would pay for his present production and assign him to a 2nd line role, not for the money he will command based on comparable metrics. Josh is an odd duck in that situation. Our best chance of keeping him at a "reasonable" cap figure is the extra year we can offer before FA kicks in. Regardless, it will be a pretty rich contract, >$5.5MM. Without JT he is a $4MM player IMO.

I would let another team overpay for him. He's having a career year in a contract year. That is a little concerning. I'm happy with his production, but I haven't bought into the hype.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Once again a player in any sport has a career year in his FA walk year. Don't tell me the mental side of the game isn't massive in a player's success.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
being lazy here but does anyone know who Bailey's agent is? That guy must be sitting pretty in his office from Toronto with his feet up on his chair smoking a stoogie because he is about to get what 7% of 30-35 million over 7 years from someone. No idea what % the agent gets but just saying. Or does the agent get his cut 100% up front. Geeez.....anyway, Bailey does alot of good things out there at the ripe old age of 28 now. If the Isles do sign him he may go down as one of the highest Isles point producers ever and that's saying alot I guess. (top 10 most likely atleast) But It's something about Bailey that never blows you away. steady wins the race I guess....go figure...

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
being lazy here but does anyone know who Bailey's agent is? That guy must be sitting pretty in his office from Toronto with his feet up on his chair smoking a stoogie because he is about to get what 7% of 30-35 million over 7 years from someone. No idea what % the agent gets but just saying. Or does the agent get his cut 100% up front. Geeez.....anyway, Bailey does alot of good things out there at the ripe old age of 28 now. If the Isles do sign him he may go down as one of the highest Isles point producers ever and that's saying alot I guess. (top 10 most likely atleast) But It's something about Bailey that never blows you away. steady wins the race I guess....go figure...
I doubt that an agent gets 100% up front, because he'd get reamed in taxes.

Bailey is playing the best hockey of his NHL life, but that's not much of a big statement. Though, he is having a great year.

If the Islanders pay him, this has to be the Josh Bailey they get every year until his career is over. If not, it will be another in a long list of albatross signings.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I doubt that an agent gets 100% up front, because he'd get reamed in taxes.

Bailey is playing the best hockey of his NHL life, but that's not much of a big statement. Though, he is having a great year.

If the Islanders pay him, this has to be the Josh Bailey they get every year until his career is over. If not, it will be another in a long list of albatross signings.

I met a professional soccer player on the plane and he told me agents get between (depending on experience) get 3-5% of the salary of the player and 3-5% of any sponsorships/endorsements (ie Nike). I am not sure if it is the same in hockey, but I presume it's close.

It's a lot of work..not just working out contract, but you are pretty much on the phone every day to the player or every other day. It's their job to get you what you deserve and make you happy. His agent takes him out on the town..introduces him to people etc.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I met a professional soccer player on the plane and he told me agents get between (depending on experience) get 3-5% of the salary of the player and 3-5% of any sponsorships/endorsements (ie Nike). I am not sure if it is the same in hockey, but I presume it's close.

It's a lot of work..not just working out contract, but you are pretty much on the phone every day to the player or every other day. It's their job to get you what you deserve and make you happy. His agent takes him out on the town..introduces him to people etc.

So someone got 3% of that terrible ad with Josh Bailey in chains? LOL

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Have to say at this point that Josh Bailey is the 6th or so best pick in the 2008 draft. Seems like we have the 5th and 6th best picks in Eberle and Bailey.

Stamkos, Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Karlsson obviously making up the top tier.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Have to say at this point that Josh Bailey is the 6th or so best pick in the 2008 draft. Seems like we have the 5th and 6th best picks in Eberle and Bailey.

Be cool to get one of the bolded

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

He’s gotta be up there in career points and games played for that draft.

If Bailey stays healthy he’s going to play over 1,000 games in this league and finish with a solid NHL career.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm confused. I know people know this, but they are jumping from one extreme to another.

Bailey is only this good because he is with JT. Playing with anyone else, he's half the player he is. Sure, he's playing great now, but what happens if JT leave or gets injured.

1. We can't pay him like an 80-90 point player because he isn't. Only with JT he is and that MIGHT be just this year as it's a contract year...we have no idea if this will continue.
2. This is his first year he's done anything remotely like this.

Come on..balance..middle ground. We need to always be aware exactly where we are.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm confused. I know people know this, but they are jumping from one extreme to another.

Bailey is only this good because he is with JT. Playing with anyone else, he's half the player he is. Sure, he's playing great now, but what happens if JT leave or gets injured.

1. We can't pay him like an 80-90 point player because he isn't. Only with JT he is and that MIGHT be just this year as it's a contract year...we have no idea if this will continue.
2. This is his first year he's done anything remotely like this.

Come on..balance..middle ground. We need to always be aware exactly where we are.

Huh, you are lecturing about being realistic? Josh Bailey is a very good player with John Tavares and a good player without him. Why would you use the word "only good"? Nobody here is calling him amazing, the generational talent thing was obviously tongue and cheek. I don't see anybody jumping to extremes. Have you been watching Josh Bailey? If you say he's only good because of JT, well he'd be good with anybody else who could finish on his shots, that goes for Lee too. The setups Bailey has been giving those two are absolute gimmes. That's JB working magic, not JT or Lee doing a fantastic job of getting open. Bailey is just finding them. He's even miles better on the PP this year than he has been in the past. I used to call him the other teams best PKer, but he's been way better.

The only thing I agree with you is point #1. He'll need to be paid how he is minus JT (which is still a decent paycheck). I think he'll take a home town discount, but if he chooses to go the route of other players before him (Boyes, Moulson, Nielsen et al) I can almost guarantee that he'll still be an overpaid asset wherever he goes and not out the door like Moulson pretty much is. I don't even know what Boyes is up too...

JB had a great season last year and he's been improving every year. Not sure why you think this is an aberration.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Let's not forget, he had a career year and almost put up 60 points last year. This isn't a situation where he only lit it up during his contract year. I think he finally started to "get it" last year. My guess is that he's gonna command around $6.5 million. Whether we wanna re-sign him or not, that's up for discussion.

GusTheo

Sep 14, 2011
I usually am behind the whole players performing better in contract years, and in Josh’s case I’m sure it’s def a contributing factor.

But for as bad as Isles fans have been on his case from basically day 1, don’t you think he would’ve found this magic “motivation” to produce much earlier?

As stated above, I think it’s finally starting to click for him. He’s always been a solid player, responsible in his own zone, but it seemed like he lacked confidence to be a consistent player evidenced by him disappearing for stretches at a time (I’d argue that even during those stretches he was never a liability like other players, just wasn’t showing up on the stat sheet).

He’s older, more mature, developed chemistry with certain guys and now you’re seeing a player who’s around the top of the league in points.

There’s a chance he comes back to earth a bit, but even so, he’s still improved basically every season he’s been in the league.

As a fan of his for a long time, I’m extremely happy for him, happy he’s gonna get a nice raise, hopefully he takes a hometown discount to help finish what they’ve started and stay here for the long term!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad