Player Discussion: Josh Bailey II

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Bailey started the game on the 1st line with McDavid and RNH, but apparently was replaced during the 3rd period by Schwartz.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Give it a rest already.

Why? What else is there?

The Barclays arena crap is done with (part of me is missing it already).. Those "for" and "against" threads were pure gold.
The team is horrific with no sunrise in sight
JT can easily flee this shitbag team while we are stuck with it
I don't have any interest in reading tweets from random toolbags telling us everyone's thought on Belmont no matter how insignificant.
I would be interested in a new GM & Coach, but I don't see anything concrete telling me that this is going to happen. We just have pages of people saying the same shit over and over. No need for me to chime in there.

Ripping on Bailey is all I have left!!!!

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Why? What else is there?

The Barclays arena crap is done with (part of me is missing it already).. Those "for" and "against" threads were pure gold.
The team is horrific with no sunrise in sight
JT can easily flee this ****bag team while we are stuck with it
I don't have any interest in reading tweets from random toolbags telling us everyone's thought on Belmont no matter how insignificant.
I would be interested in a new GM & Coach, but I don't see anything concrete telling me that this is going to happen. We just have pages of people saying the same **** over and over. No need for me to chime in there.

Ripping on Bailey is all I have left!!!!

In what way are we stuck with this team? C'mon, wanna cheer for someone else, go and do you? No one is holding anyone hostage.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
In what way are we stuck with this team? C'mon, wanna cheer for someone else, go and do you? No one is holding anyone hostage.

Well -- since I'm a lifelong fan, switching teams isn't an option. Admittedly-- my passion has declined in the past decade, perhaps due to getting older, or perhaps due to the team slowly eating me from the inside out. Its a toss up.

Can you just change your favorite team ( in any sport)?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Can you just change your favorite team ( in any sport)?

Never happened to me with team sports, tbh, but through the years I had numerous "favourite" tennis players or snowboarders. It changes. Pretty sure I'll be able to tell you next season how it looks with hockey, because if JT walks and Snow is still here, I'm out. I'll watch an occasional game or look at our young guys stats, but I don't have it in me to make it another season with the Isles.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
NHL.COM placed him at No 8 in 2008 redraft – after Stamkos, Doughty, Karlsson, Josi, Holtby, Carlson, and Pietrangelo.

2008 Redraft: Stamkos remains No. 1 pick of Lightning

8. Josh Bailey, RW, New York Islanders (9)
Bailey, 28, had NHL career highs in goals (18) and points (71) this season, and he played in the NHL All-Star Game for the first time. His 715 games played are second among players drafted in 2008, and he's sixth with 377 points (124 goals, 253 assists).
9. Jordan Eberle, C, Edmonton Oilers (22)
Eberle, 28, was traded to the Islanders on June 22 and scored 25 goals this season, the fourth time in eight seasons he's scored that many. His 190 goals are second to Stamkos among players picked in 2008, and his 441 points are third behind Stamkos and Karlsson.
14. Jared Spurgeon, D, New York Islanders (156)
Spurgeon, 28, was drafted by the Islanders in the sixth round but never signed with them. He became an unrestricted free agent after five seasons with Spokane of the Western Hockey League, signed with the Minnesota Wild on Sept. 23, 2010, and became a regular during the 2010-11 season. Spurgeon's 56 goals are seventh among defensemen drafted in 2008, and his 205 points are 10th.
20. Travis Hamonic, D, New York Islanders (53)
Hamonic, 27, has been a solid, physical presence for eight seasons with the Islanders, who selected him in the second round, and the Calgary Flames, who acquired him in a trade June 24. He's seventh in hits (942) and fourth in blocked shots (1,007) among defensemen drafted in 2008.
27. Matt Martin, LW, New York Islanders (148)
Martin, 29, has scored 10 goals once, in 2015-16, but he's been among the most physical players in the NHL during his nine seasons with the Islanders and Maple Leafs. He has the three highest single-season hits totals since the stat was first recorded in 2002-03, topped by 382 in 2014-15. His career average of 4.3 hits per game leads all NHL players who've played 300 or more games.

4 Islanders made the top 27. Right now we hold 8 and 9 plus a 1st and a 2nd this year from Calgary.

giphy.gif

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
And Spurgeon was ours. Why didn’t we give up on Kichton, Katic, Ness etc instead of Spurgeon. Snow being snow.

Think MM is ranked too high.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I saw that list and think Bailey was rated to high based on the past 2 years. Eberle and Stepan are both guys who I feel should be higher based on career so far

And Spurgeon was ours. Why didn’t we give up on Kichton, Katic, Ness etc instead of Spurgeon. Snow being snow.

We actually did give up on Kichton and Kessel. I think Spurgeon was a victim of numbers(ie us having a bunch of smallish defensemen) and hindsight it looks like a terrible choice. I think losing all the guys I mentioned is a case of having lots of draft picks in a short period of time you have to pick and choose which ones to keep and which to let go

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
We actually did give up on Kichton and Kessel. I think Spurgeon was a victim of numbers(ie us having a bunch of smallish defensemen) and hindsight it looks like a terrible choice. I think losing all the guys I mentioned is a case of having lots of draft picks in a short period of time you have to pick and choose which ones to keep and which to let go
As I recall, we did offer Spurgeon a contract, but for 6th round money, and he felt he'd improved his value since the draft so he didn't sign it. Then after being passed over in his re-entry draft and then looking around in free agency, he ended up taking a contract for 6th round money with Minnesota. Still sucks, but it's not like the Islanders were the only team to have pegged where they did.

Reactions: dood

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I saw that list and think Bailey was rated to high based on the past 2 years. Eberle and Stepan are both guys who I feel should be higher based on career so far

They picked the wrong smallish D men, katic, ness etc. They didn’t accurately evaluate Spurgeons potential, as they only offered 6th rounder equivalent money. That’s where I find fault. Compounded by several misses in the top 5, and the mishandling of Nino.

Nino would be quite useful in our middle six, more deserving of the 3.5 Clutter makes.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
As I recall, we did offer Spurgeon a contract, but for 6th round money, and he felt he'd improved his value since the draft so he didn't sign it. Then after being passed over in his re-entry draft and then looking around in free agency, he ended up taking a contract for 6th round money with Minnesota. Still sucks, but it's not like the Islanders were the only team to have pegged where they did.

I actually think we never offered him a deal. I remember Jankowski said he was a great player but they couldn't sign them all. They obviously made a horrible decision

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
Making a prediction right now, in the event that we do not trade Bailey before the start of the season (I think we should). This year, Bailey finishes below 40 points. If not below, in the low 40's. I see a drastic drop-off in production coming his way.

Reason 1- I don't trust Bailey's character. I don't think he is an all out all the time guy. I feel he dogged it big time his first few years in the league, and was a major member of the "country club". I feel like he became very motivated and started playing much harder the last 2 seasons because he began worrying about his next contract. What reassured me of this was once he signed his contract last year, there were quite a number of games the rest of the year where he became invisible again. Is it to much to think that now that he has his money locked up, he will become complacent again?

Reason 2- No JT centering him, which will naturally result in his line as a whole generating less offense.

Bearing these things in mind, I propose trading this guy now, while his value is as high as it probably will ever will be. Other GM's will like his contract term and dollar amount, and should enable us to get some real good young assets back to expedite our rebuild. Otherwise, if I wind up being right about this, and Bailey becomes that non-emotional, 35 point player again, we won't even be able to get half of what we can for him at this present moment, and we will all be kicking ourselves big time. If I am wrong about this, I'll gladly come on here again next summer and recognize my faulty prediction.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Reason 1- I don't trust Bailey's character. I don't think he is an all out all the time guy. I feel he dogged it big time his first few years in the league, and was a major member of the "country club". I feel like he became very motivated and started playing much harder the last 2 seasons because he began worrying about his next contract. .

Could not disagree with this more.. Some people look at points only it seems. Next to Frans he was our best two way player for years and the most versatile forward we had, playing all 3 forward spots on at least 3 of the 4 lines, not an easy thing to do. No player on this team has been more misunderstood. I realize you may be talking about heart in playing rather than character but if you are talking about a character guy on and off the ice, Bailey epitomizes exactly what you want. He is a quality person who does a lot for the community without drawing attention to himself, and have never heard him say or do anything that was not completely professional. He has always thought defense and pass first, so at times was maybe not as aggressive as he should have been, I will give you that, but that is not a heart issue. I feel confident that the game will continue to slow down for him. It was mutual but I would argue JT benefited as much if not more with Bailey on his wing and the Bailey moved to the #! line it got JT out of a funk, they had chemistry.

Guy has had a good career and it is sad how this fanbase has treated him through no fault of his own. Even if you think he was a reach where he was picked, that is no fault of his own and no reason for fans and their kids heckling him mercilessly (which is what I experienced hearing every game when I had season tickets).

By the end of this year if he stays healthy, very likely he is top 10 all time in points as an Islander. Time to stop the hate for our longest tenured player, at this point it seems petty, childish and just flat out incorrect.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Could not disagree with this more.. Some people look at points only it seems. Next to Frans he was our best two way player for years and the most versatile forward we had, playing all 3 forward spots on at least 3 of the 4 lines, not an easy thing to do. No player on this team has been more misunderstood. I realize you may be talking about heart in playing rather than character but if you are talking about a character guy on and off the ice, Bailey epitomizes exactly what you want. He is a quality person who does a lot for the community without drawing attention to himself, and have never heard him say or do anything that was not completely professional. He has always thought defense and pass first, so at times was maybe not as aggressive as he should have been, I will give you that, but that is not a heart issue. I feel confident that the game will continue to slow down for him. It was mutual but I would argue JT benefited as much if not more with Bailey on his wing and the Bailey moved to the #! line it got JT out of a funk, they had chemistry.

Guy has had a good career and it is sad how this fanbase has treated him through no fault of his own. Even if you think he was a reach where he was picked, that is no fault of his own and no reason for fans and their kids heckling him mercilessly (which is what I experienced hearing every game when I had season tickets).

By the end of this year if he stays healthy, very likely he is top 10 all time in points as an Islander. Time to stop the hate for our longest tenured player, at this point it seems petty, childish and just flat out incorrect.

I used to be guilty of saying the same thing as drive for 5. I used to think he was dogging it, until I realized he just plays a completely different game than what I'm used to or even what I like. He's more of a no panic, cerebral kind of guy which to many comes off as laziness. However, having Nelson on the team shows what true laziness is and actually sheds a different light on Bailey. I absolutely don't think he's a lazy player who has a tendency to dog it. Actually, I've seen much more passion out of him for this team as the years have gone (including frustration) so I know he cares and it has nothing to do with his contract. Actually ironic drive for 5 says that because if it had to do with his contract and he absolutely would have used this opportunity during a really weak UFA period to get paid big time. Instead he took a hometown discount and stayed. That certainly refutes Drive for 5's statement.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Making a prediction right now, in the event that we do not trade Bailey before the start of the season (I think we should). This year, Bailey finishes below 40 points. If not below, in the low 40's. I see a drastic drop-off in production coming his way.

Reason 1- I don't trust Bailey's character. I don't think he is an all out all the time guy. I feel he dogged it big time his first few years in the league, and was a major member of the "country club". I feel like he became very motivated and started playing much harder the last 2 seasons because he began worrying about his next contract. What reassured me of this was once he signed his contract last year, there were quite a number of games the rest of the year where he became invisible again. Is it to much to think that now that he has his money locked up, he will become complacent again?

Reason 2- No JT centering him, which will naturally result in his line as a whole generating less offense.

Bearing these things in mind, I propose trading this guy now, while his value is as high as it probably will ever will be. Other GM's will like his contract term and dollar amount, and should enable us to get some real good young assets back to expedite our rebuild. Otherwise, if I wind up being right about this, and Bailey becomes that non-emotional, 35 point player again, we won't even be able to get half of what we can for him at this present moment, and we will all be kicking ourselves big time. If I am wrong about this, I'll gladly come on here again next summer and recognize my faulty prediction.

I look forward to you following through next summer :D

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
Its time this fanbase started showing this guy some love.

The last 2 seasons, and the start of this one, he has been awesome!

At $5M per year, he's an absolute steal!!!

Reactions: Macch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad