Player Discussion: Josh Bailey II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Everyone knows how much I hate(d) him, but I'm on board with re-signing him. Not long-term, but we definitely can't let him walk.

And no, trading him is not an option.
Long term :)
8 years, 5.25 million, minutes after Tavares re-signs.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Long term :)
8 years, 5.25 million, minutes after Tavares re-signs.

He doesn't throw his body around, it's not as if he relies solely on his speed to be effective and he has been durable in his 10 seasons (holy crap) as an Islander.

Cap game aside, I honestly don't think Bailey's game would be one that falls of a cliff at the age of 34-35 so don't think the term is the killer with his next contract.

Reactions: WangMustGo and dood

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He doesn't throw his body around, it's not as if he relies solely on his speed to be effective and he has been durable in his 10 seasons (holy crap) as an Islander.

Cap game aside, I honestly don't think Bailey's game would be one that falls of a cliff at the age of 34-35 so don't think the term is the killer with his next contract.
That's my line of thinking as well, I truly think those will be the numbers.
No way. I'd like to do three years, four years max.
Yeah but there's no way he'd do that. and if he did the price tag would be 6.5 at least.

He might finish the year with 70 points and will be unrestricted. He's gonna cash in.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have not been a supporter, but this year's version is different. Quicker decisions, shots on goal(!), physicality(paying attention, Brock?), and more. Now if he could manage the blue lines better, he would be on my All Star Team!

What do you mean by "manage the blue lines better"?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I wanted Bailey on this team for years. He has always been a good player... people hate on him because he gets it done with his brain instead of his flash/body. Obviously this year he has been better than ever, but he has always been a good player. I am pretty sure he has been the most productive player from his draft year, but for some reason people hold him to a higher standard. Everyone sees him make a ridiculous dangle that only 1% of the league can do and its always "why cant he always be like that!" all the while people overlook everything else he is doing.

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
I went to the game against Philadelphia on the eve of Thanksgiving with a bunch of family members. I'm pretty sure Bailey had a three point night, with the game winning goal in overtime. One of my cousins was criticizing Bailey after the game simply because he doesn't score much. The moment I hear those types of comments is the moment I know these people are clueless.

How many members of our board have been saying we need more depth in order to boost our record and Tavares' numbers? The moment Eberle was dropped to the second line our top two lines started producing like crazy. The idiots of twitter want to stack the top line still because they are so singularly focused and don't understand the game beyond the very basics. Bailey has always been good defensively and a good puck distributor. He makes the right reads and routes that impact plays in a positive way, but as someone else mentioned, if you only know how to watch the puck you'll miss a lot of those things. If all you care about is goals, you don't have a clue. If you think hits are more valuable than the right reads and routes, you don't have a clue either.

Bailey is and has always been very similar, but Lee, Tavares, and himself have really good chemistry which has resulted in better than normal numbers for Bailey. He's always been a guy that wants to make a play and move the puck to someone else. That fits perfectly with Tavares and Lee.

hell yeah brother

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
What do you mean by "manage the blue lines better"?
Josh needs to listen to what JHS s being told to do near the blue lines. Get it out/get it in deep-as opposed to drop passes that are picked off and lazy clear attempts. It was really noticeable against the Lightning, and he is not the only culprit. Pass to someone other than JT while entering the O zone on the PP, for example.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
8 Goals and 30 Assists in 32 games, back in 13-14 he had the same stat line.... in 77 Games!

He's really blossomed under Weight, he's gotta be worth more if JT stays.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
No way. I'd like to do three years, four years max.

no way in hell he is going to do a 3 or 4 year deal unless you are going to significantly overpay him, after the year he is having I am sure he is and his agent are going to capitalize on it

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
So do we re-sign Bailey if JT walks??
A very tough question. I never hated on him, just saw him as Mr. Mediocre in everything. Because he was drafted #9 overall, and that pick was a trade down from the #5 we could have had, he was abused for not being star material as we hoped.
Did it take him 8 years to finally find his mojo at 28? he is scoring at a pace (and passing the eye test also) way above what we fans ever hoped for when he was drafted.
This has become an issue that could lead to a brilliant or disastrous decision depending on how Snow sees it, and what Josh wants to do. He once said that he wanted to be a core player (before he signed his last deal) and kind of held out for a contract that was going to give him that. Now he is new married and has a kid. he can make a one time big bucks move for last year and this years work (assuming he doesn't go stone cold the rest of the way).

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
A very tough question. I never hated on him, just saw him as Mr. Mediocre in everything. because he was drafted #9 overall, and that pick was a trade down from the #5 we could have had, he was abused for nt being star material as we hoped.
Did it take him 8 years to finally find his mojo at 28? he is scoring at a pace (and passing the eye test also) way above what we fans ever hoped for when he was drafted.
This has become an issue that could lead to a brilliant or disastrous decision depending on how Snow sees it, and what Josh wants to do. He once said that he wanted to be a core player (before he signed his last deal) and kind of held out for a contract that was going to give him that. Now he is new married and has a kid. he can make a one time big bucks move for last year and this years work (assuming he doesn't go stone cold the rest of the way).

Yes, so where does Mrs. Bailey want to go?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So do we re-sign Bailey if JT walks??
Tavares should have a clause in his next contract that says whatever happens to him happens to Bailey. Wherever one goes, the other must go, like in "Bang the Drum Slowly".

Bailey really does owe his career to John Tavares, as did Matt Moulson.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tavares should have a clause in his next contract that says whatever happens to him happens to Bailey. Wherever one goes, the other must go, like in "Bang the Drum Slowly".

I don't think he owes his career, but he owes a significant portion of his next contract. :laugh:

Reactions: WangMustGo and MJF

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
No way a team will pay up for both JT and Bailey - they also have to play on the same line for the trade to be effective for the other team.

I wouldn't give Bails more than 5/season max, but I will give him bonus and incentives so he can make 6/7 million/season if he shows up every game.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We have to keep this first line together. They mesh so well.

Bailey hopefully wants to stay but I could see a team stepping up and making him an offer he can’t refuse.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
If he continues at this pace, he's gonna command a lot of coin. Had a career year last year, and now he's playing at an above point per game pace? He may give the Isles a small discount, but no way he isn't going to cash out. My guess is he nets $6.5 million, especially given the rise of the salary cap next season.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011

Thats BS. There is more than one time JT was lost in the sauce, and then JB was put back on his line and JT magically woke up. In fact JB has straight up been a better player than JT this year.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Thats BS. There is more than one time JT was lost in the sauce, and then JB was put back on his line and JT magically woke up. In fact JB has straight up been a better player than JT this year.

Josh Bailey should never be in the same sentence as Matt Moulson at all. Bailey is a solid player on his own now, not everyone can be thrown on the JT line and succeed, Lady Jane didn't become a PPG player on that line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->