Value of: Jordan Eberle

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Eakin+Ritchie as a base for Eberle?

The Oilers would likely require a pick or expansion exempt fwd. Ritchie is a bit redundant with guys like Kassian and Slepyshev on the roster and we would only be able to protect either Ritchie or Kassian likely losing one of them to Vegas.

Eakin + ANA 1st for Eberle

Eakin (500K) retained + DAL 2nd for Eberle

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The Oilers would likely require a pick or expansion exempt fwd. Ritchie is a bit redundant with guys like Kassian and Slepyshev on the roster and we would only be able to protect either Ritchie or Kassian likely losing one of them to Vegas.

Eakin + ANA 1st for Eberle

Eakin (500K) retained + DAL 2nd for Eberle

Both are fair deals . Could end up being great deals if Eakin returns to form as it opens up many options for the Oilers . I would lean towards

Maroon McD UFA/Puljujarvi
Lucic Draisaitl Cagguila/Puljujarvi
Slepyshev Eakin Kassian/Pitlick
Khaira Letestu Pitlick / Kassian

Speed , sand paper and skill on all lines . Leaves RNH for a trade for a RH D .

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I'd do Eakin + a 2nd

If they could get that, I'd say run with it. I actually think they will be making a minor deal for a guy like Sheahan around ED. Would be the best guy they could get to play that role. Send Vegas a 2nd to take him from DET and be done with it. He'd be the best fit.

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
how about
to dal
ebs 1.5 mil retained
rights to pitlick
rights to yakimov

to edm
3rd overall
lehts
rights to nichushkin

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
how about
to dal
ebs 1.5 mil retained
rights to pitlick
rights to yakimov

to edm
3rd overall
lehts
rights to nichushkin

Puljujarvi is the only reasonable asset that would pull the pick and Nuke. I wouldn't want to even consider that though.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If they could get that, I'd say run with it. I actually think they will be making a minor deal for a guy like Sheahan around ED. Would be the best guy they could get to play that role. Send Vegas a 2nd to take him from DET and be done with it. He'd be the best fit.

I really like Sheahan but with the way the league is evolving I think Chiarelli will want someone at 3C who's a better skater and better on the draw then Sheahan.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How about Eberle gets 1 more season as an Oiler? Cap isn't a problem next season. Eberle is a guaranteed 20 goals/50 points no matter what line he's on. That has value to Edmonton.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Eakin+Ritchie as a base for Eberle?
I am not a fan of Eakin, unlike some other Oiler fans, for me he subtracts value from the trade as I think we could spend his cap-hit more wisely elsewhere. I'm more in favor of taking on Niemi as a buy-out as his cap hit would be spread across 2 years just like Eberle's deal which is 2 years. I wouldn't do Ritchie + Niemi for Eberle, but I would do Faksa + Niemi for Eberle; if Faksa is a non-starter then I'd need more value on top of the Ritchie frame work, but something more tangible than a mid-pick which would likely mean a larger deal with both sides adding more.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No. Probably from both sides. We are moving Eberle to save cap space, not retain on him.

Both sides? Are you serious? The Stars get shafted here.

How about Eberle gets 1 more season as an Oiler? Cap isn't a problem next season. Eberle is a guaranteed 20 goals/50 points no matter what line he's on. That has value to Edmonton.

I agree that has value to Edmonton. But it isn't the cap this year that's the problem--it's next year.

The Oilers moving him this year can off-set his cap for a year to maximize his trade value. Next season they won't have that luxury, nor may they have leverage in any deal when their cap situation gets murky. If they keep Eberle until next summer, they may lose him or another valuable Oiler for less than what they are actually worth. The Oilers have options this summer. Chiarelli can get creative.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Of course they do, but why are the Oilers trading for picks at this point? We aren't rebuilding anymore. It isn't the value that is the issue for Edmonton, but the pieces involved that don't make sense. And the salary retention on Eberle.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Of course they do, but why are the Oilers trading for picks at this point? We aren't rebuilding anymore. It isn't the value that is the issue for Edmonton, but the pieces involved that don't make sense. And the salary retention on Eberle.

Because players get more expensive as time goes on and teams that want to continue to win need prospects to trade and prospects to step in to fill in for players they lose to the salary cap. And the Oilers' prospect cabinet is probably bottom 10 currently in terms of forwards.

The Oilers won't--or at least shouldn't--retain on Eberle. It effects the second year of his deal, which is problematic for the Oilers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You can say the chances are zero until your blue in the face but they aren't zero. Chia saying Eberle might be back next year, so what? What else is he supposed to say. The entire NHL knows he wants to unload Eberle and his salary. And, you won't have to pay more to get an equal player to Eberle. If Vegas signs Eberle, you could sign Verby for 2 mill, and he was a better all around player than Eberle last year. Soft wingers are easy to replace but hard to sell when they are way over paid.

You know why "Verby" will only get 2 million? Because he is 36 years old and had under 30 points 2 seasons ago. There is precisely one right winger free agent who could replace what Eberle brings without question, T.J. Oshie, and he is going to get paid huge. Probably more than Eberle gets, and probably for a long long time. And he deserves it as much as any other top free agent does, but we can't afford it long term.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because players get more expensive as time goes on and teams that want to continue to win need prospects to trade and prospects to step in to fill in for players they lose to the salary cap. And the Oilers' prospect cabinet is probably bottom 10 currently in terms of forwards.

The Oilers won't--or at least shouldn't--retain on Eberle. It effects the second year of his deal, which is problematic for the Oilers.

We do need prospects, but we can't sacrifice our roster for them at this point. This trade makes sense for Edmonton if absolutely no deals involving roster players who improve our team are out there. But I think they are, so would pass on it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We do need prospects, but we can't sacrifice our roster for them at this point. This trade makes sense for Edmonton if absolutely no deals involving roster players who improve our team are out there. But I think they are, so would pass on it.

Trading Eberle isn't sacrificing the roster. The RW options available to fill in that hole short-term are plentiful. Justin Williams being my primary choice.

The player-for-player deals you're talking about are very rare in a sense that it's very difficult to meet the needs both on the ice and on the balance sheet, which is why big name players very rarely get traded for one another. That $6m tag is very challenging to move, regardless of the player attached to it.

You are not going to get a better player than Jordan Eberle in a Jordan Eberle trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Trading Eberle isn't sacrificing the roster. The RW options available to fill in that hole short-term are plentiful. Justin Williams being my primary choice.

The player-for-player deals you're talking about are very rare in a sense that it's very difficult to meet the needs both on the ice and on the balance sheet, which is why big name players very rarely get traded for one another. That $6m tag is very challenging to move, regardless of the player attached to it.

You are not going to get a better player than Jordan Eberle in a Jordan Eberle trade.

You are assuming that we will land one of those free agents. If we don't and trade Eberle for futures and get no decent free agents to sign we are moving in the wrong direction.

I agree that we aren't getting a better player than Eberle if we trade him. But we can get a player who is a better fit, fills a hole on the roster. And big money players are dealt for other players far more often than for futures aside from teams in rebuilds. That isn't us anymore.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No. Probably from both sides. We are moving Eberle to save cap space, not retain on him.

For the 3rd overall pick + Nichuskin (who we could maybe convince to come play next to McDavid on RW) I gladly would retain 1.5 million per year.
Not what we want ideally but value is so much in our favour you just can't turn it down.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For the 3rd overall pick + Nichuskin (who we could maybe convince to come play next to McDavid on RW) I gladly would retain 1.5 million per year.
Not what we want ideally but value is so much in our favour you just can't turn it down.

Agreed. There's no way in hell that Nill takes this unless he sees this draft as being as weak as the Yakupov draft year was.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Nuke couldn't play with Seguin, why would he work with McDavid? I know everyone thinks he is gods gift but I am not as high on him.

Until McDavid and Draisaitl are re-signed I wouldn't retain on Eberle regardless of the value.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I agree that has value to Edmonton. But it isn't the cap this year that's the problem--it's next year.

The Oilers moving him this year can off-set his cap for a year to maximize his trade value. Next season they won't have that luxury, nor may they have leverage in any deal when their cap situation gets murky. If they keep Eberle until next summer, they may lose him or another valuable Oiler for less than what they are actually worth. The Oilers have options this summer. Chiarelli can get creative.

You do not wait to move Eberle when your back is against the wall . if you do GM,s know you have to move him and knowing the Oilers back is against the wall they will a lot more demanding . Moving hi when you have 19,000,000.00 in cap space is the wise thing to do . You then can use the cap on 1 year terms for UFA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad