Value of: Jordan Eberle

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It depends on if the Oilers go 7-3-1 or 8-1.
Lucic & Sekera have to be protected. Draisaitl will be as will Klefborn & Larsson. That's 3 D & 2 forwards.
@ 7-3-1 that means Nurse & Benning are exposed but if 8-1 to keep those 2 there is only room for 1 of RNH, Eberle, Maroon, Kassian.
McPhee could take a cheaper 1 than Eberle off Edmonton's hands & follow up with a trade for a retained salary Eberle once they know what's left to fill out the team after Draisaitl gets his raise.
KLowe/MacT valued Eberle @ $6 million a year. Othe GMs won't.
Nurse and Benning are both exempt. The Oilers will protect.

Nuge
Eberle
Draisaitl
Lucic
Letestu
Kassian
Maroon

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson

The most notable players exposed will be

Pouliot
Reinhart
Brossoit

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd personally take Ladd if NY retained a million. Would put his cap hit at 4.5 and Eberle likely gets similar on his next deal.

Ladd is good for 20 goals and has a better game away from the puck. NYgets a younger player on a shorter contract with potential to produce more points but offers less on the intangibles side

lol. Understand what cap term is and how important that is, Islanders would do that trade in a heart beat for good reason.

Dude is signed until he's like 38.

I would literally, and I'm not joking, I mean literally rather take a bag of used hockey tape for Eberle than take on that contract.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Nuge
Eberle
Draisaitl
Lucic
Letestu
Kassian
Maroon

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson

Pouliot
Reinhart
Brossoit

Yup, Oilers are well positioned for the expansion draft.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Nuge
Eberle
Draisaitl
Lucic
Letestu
Kassian
Maroon

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson

Pouliot
Reinhart
Brossoit

Disagree, Eberle will be traded before the expansion draft or exposed.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Traded maybe but why would we expose him and lose him for nothing when there is not a better option to protect ?

The beautiful 6 million dollars in cap space.

I wouldn't be sad if Eberle was claimed by Vegas, that 6M can be used to sign a very good player or give us room to acquire a good player via trade

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I wouldn't be sad if Eberle was claimed by Vegas, that 6M can be used to sign a very good player or give us room to acquire a good player via trade

Yeah. Imagine if you could use that six million dollar to get.....another Jordan Eberle? Except this one comes with a six year contract and a no trade clause!

Christ, it's not even June yet.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013

We can trade Eberle away to clear that cap space and at minimum acquire a pick, just giving him to Vegas is bad asset management.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We can trade Eberle away to clear that cap space and at minimum acquire a pick, just giving him to Vegas is bad asset management.

Maybe you get a pick, if you find a team that will take his contract. This assumes the Oilers won't retain or take back a bad contract. I still think he gets exposed to Vegas.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe you get a pick, if you find a team that will take his contract. This assumes the Oilers won't retain or take back a bad contract. I still think he gets exposed to Vegas.

His contract isn't a problem for the Oilers.

The Oilers could ADD CAP this summer trading Eberle if they needed to. Eberle is a productive forward and giving him away for nothing would be complete stupidity.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Traded maybe but why would we expose him and lose him for nothing when there is not a better option to protect ?

I would much sooner protect Slepyshev than Eberle. Fits what Chia and TMac are building. I'm sure the Eberle fan boys will suggest Slepy can't replace that offence, but how do we know that? His game still has room to grow, he has the type of shot that can score from outside the circles, bigger, faster, more physical. The only thing Ebs has on him is a resume.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would much sooner protect Slepyshev than Eberle. Fits what Chia and TMac are building. I'm sure the Eberle fan boys will suggest Slepy can't replace that offence, but how do we know that? His game still has room to grow, he has the type of shot that can score from outside the circles, bigger, faster, more physical. The only thing Ebs has on him is a resume.

Slepyshev is exempt. And no, Slepyshev won't replace that offense because he doesn't have a modicum of Eberle's natural skill. Slepyshev oozes effort which is why he's so likeable, but seeing him as a top six producer at this point is candyland type thinking. Eberle has two dozen players in the entire league who've outscored him in goals since entering the league, 29 in points. So it's pretty safe to say Slepyshev will never be that player. I wouldn't even put Slepyshev on the roster next season to be honest. The fact he's still waiver exempt probably has him playing some games in Bakersfield next year.

Once again, he may very well be traded. It's the best time to do so and the most opportune time to maximize his value by offsetting his caphit next season with a salary dump. But offering him and his offense up for nothing is stupid. Stupider than Kevin Lowe, bash your head in a car door ****ing stupid. It makes zero sense.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
lol. Understand what cap term is and how important that is, Islanders would do that trade in a heart beat for good reason.

Dude is signed until he's like 38.

I would literally, and I'm not joking, I mean literally rather take a bag of used hockey tape for Eberle than take on that contract.

Yeah I understood since I mentioned retention. 4.5 for a middle 6 player with size and skill isn't bad by any means. I also believe Ladd would be a solid 20-20 guy thru the contract or least most of it.

Plus he's a gamer and hates Kesler and we'll be going to war against teams for years and players like Ladd vs Eberle is who you win with. He's also got Cup rings and you can never have enough leadership/experience

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Slepyshev is exempt too. Read my post the most notable players we have exposed are Pouliot, Reinhart, Brossoit.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah I understood since I mentioned retention. 4.5 for a middle 6 player with size and skill isn't bad by any means. I also believe Ladd would be a solid 20-20 guy thru the contract or least most of it.

Plus he's a gamer and hates Kesler and we'll be going to war against teams for years and players like Ladd vs Eberle is who you win with. He's also got Cup rings and you can never have enough leadership/experience
This is some ridiculous reasoning to justify what looks to be a disaster contract for a 31 year old player in year 1. There's what 5 more years left? Or is it 6? People complain about Lucics contract his contract looks great compared to ladds.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This is some ridiculous reasoning to justify what looks to be a disaster contract for a 31 year old player in year 1. There's what 5 more years left? Or is it 6? People complain about Lucics contract his contract looks great compared to ladds.

People who complain about Lucic and Ladd type deals don't understand the value a few veteran leaders bring a young core made around McDavid Draisaitl Talbot Klefbom and Larsson. The core is extremely young and inexperienced. This season was a great learning one and we've seen that this club is likely destined for big things and Lucic already has added confidence to those young players. Edmonton is absolutely a club that could benefit from a player such as Ladd. There's no long term contract to a player over 30. Having one with Ladd's resume isn't ridiculous especially with 1 million retained on it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People who complain about Lucic and Ladd type deals don't understand the value a few veteran leaders bring a young core made around McDavid Draisaitl Talbot Klefbom and Larsson. The core is extremely young and inexperienced. This season was a great learning one and we've seen that this club is likely destined for big things and Lucic already has added confidence to those young players. Edmonton is absolutely a club that could benefit from a player such as Ladd. There's no long term contract to a player over 30. Having one with Ladd's resume isn't ridiculous especially with 1 million retained on it.

You can't have multiple contracts like that on your roster, you have the luxury of maybe one.

People need to understand something too ... cap term is as important if not moreso than cap hit.

Forced at gunpoint, I'd rather have Andrew Ladd at $8 million per for 2 years rather than the deal he actually has even with money retained.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

WOOF! Absolutely no way Edmonton would EVER touch Ladd and that awful contract. The Lucic deal is already approaching the threshold where it will be a boat anchor and having two wingers with that kind of cap hit and term would mean a disaster. Picture having to dump Nurse or Benning: that's the kind of hit the Ladd contract would lead to. The concept IS ridiculous with $1M retained.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Disagree, Eberle will be traded before the expansion draft or exposed.

He will not be exposed. If he isn't traded, he will remain an Oiler. Chiarelli preached patience at his year end presser. He isn't going to sell low on Eberle. There is no reason to panic and expose him, especially when we know Vegas will have extra players and be looking for scorers.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I still think a Bogosian+something halfway decent for Eberle is a logical base for a trade. Bogo has an extra year on his deal but almost a mil cheaper. Sabres look like they are moving Kane for a dman so I wouldn't mind Eberle for two seasons here. Bogosian while injury prone and had a bad year can still revert to being a solid #2/3 with snarl. Bogosian can help the Oilers next year while Sekera is out and is definitely move able in summer of 2018 with only two years left if the Oil need the cap room.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I still think a Bogosian+something halfway decent for Eberle is a logical base for a trade. Bogo has an extra year on his deal but almost a mil cheaper. Sabres look like they are moving Kane for a dman so I wouldn't mind Eberle for two seasons here. Bogosian while injury prone and had a bad year can still revert to being a solid #2/3 with snarl. Bogosian can help the Oilers next year while Sekera is out and is definitely move able in summer of 2018 with only two years left if the Oil need the cap room.

Bogosian isn't a fit long term. We could use a stop gap for the year, but will want to be promoting Benning (and Nurse) if he keeps progressing and can't have a guy with Bogosian's contract length on the blueline coming in. A replacement top six rw or a 3C are the best targets in an Eberle swap I think.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

He's worthless with Lucic, Maroon and Pouliot on LW for the foreseeable future. LW and LD are the two positions of the least need.

Once again. Stay the **** away from term!!!!!!

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Yea leadership is important, but man is that an awful contract. Lets say edmonton does make that deal. Ladd has a good year or so of quality play before he declines. His leadership kicks in and they go for two runs at the cup. Now after that they are in a cap crunch because 10+ mill is towards players that arent even playing that well and they have to wait 4 years to be the best team they could be. You see how that could be a problem? That 6 mill could go towards an elite defensemen that could really help out the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad