Value of: Jordan Eberle

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Chiarelli would be better served offering Radulov a contract short term for the same 6m Eberle collects. McDavid-Radulov would be fun to watch

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Chiarelli would be better served offering Radulov a contract short term for the same 6m Eberle collects. McDavid-Radulov would be fun to watch
dont see EDM whale hunting for a RW with Drai\McD extensions around the corner.
Radulov will want to get paid after last season.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I really doubt Eberle is going to be moved. The Oilers RW depth without Eberle is really tough to look at. The cap isn't going to force a change. So really, it's very likely that Eberle remains in Edmonton.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I honestly think we do keep him if NHL GM's opinions of him are even remotely similar of what HF wannabe GM's opinions are.

Isn't this a kettle calling a pot black ? You are doing the same thing . Lets look it it .

1) Edmonton will need cap space soon enough and you don't wait until you are over the cap like Chicago . If you do GM,s know you have no choice but to dump cap and it going to cost you .

2) Eberle isn't a Chia type of player .

3) Winger are the easiest piece to sign every off season . See last years Vrbata deal .

4) I still would say we need an upgrade on D and 6 million would be better of spent there .

5) I love Eberle since his JR days but the team comes 1st and he isn't going to be here long term . Point is Chia still doesn't see this team a cup contender . This is why he never made a move at the deadline . Think about what Maroon did at 1.5 million vs what Eberle did at 6 million .

All the about along with Eberle name being out there the past few season also tells you he will be gone at some point . Chia is a smart GM . I am sure he isn't going to pay someone to take him . But think Vegas with all the D that will be available to them would be very interested in a scoring winger .

We will have to see what happens but don't be surprise if he is gone

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I really doubt Eberle is going to be moved. The Oilers RW depth without Eberle is really tough to look at. The cap isn't going to force a change. So really, it's very likely that Eberle remains in Edmonton.

I disagree. The fans and the media is going to chew him up if he stays on the team and struggles out of the gate. The writing is on the wall for him already and his time as an Oiler is pretty much done ala Dubnyk, Schultz, Yakupov.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
His value is low enough where it makes more sense for the Oilers to keep him. The return coming back the other way is an underperforming prospect and a 2nd round pick because of the cap dump.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
I disagree. The fans and the media is going to chew him up if he stays on the team and struggles out of the gate. The writing is on the wall for him already and his time as an Oiler is pretty much done ala Dubnyk, Schultz, Yakupov.

I think so as well. Hopefully for him he turns out more like Schultz and Dubnyk than Yakupov. He's still a decent scorer though. I would be shocked if he put up less than 50 points next season.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
His value is low enough where it makes more sense for the Oilers to keep him. The return coming back the other way is an underperforming prospect and a 2nd round pick because of the cap dump.

TIL guys who score 51 points in what is considered a disappointing year have no value.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
TIL guys who score 51 points in what is considered a disappointing year have no value.

The issue isn't that he scored 51 points in the regular season.

The issues are that he scored 2 points in 11 playoff games where his deficiencies were widely exposed and that he makes $6 million in a flat Cap year. If those two things weren't true than Edmonton would be happy to keep their 50+ point RW.

Which is absolutely not to say that he's valueless. He is worth whatever a GM is willing to pay for him. I just don't expect that to be valued at more than a couple 2nds.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The issues are that he scored 2 points in 11 playoff games where his deficiencies were widely exposed and that he makes $6 million in a flat Cap year. If those two things weren't true than Edmonton would be happy to keep their 50+ point RW.

Which is absolutely not to say that he's valueless. He is worth whatever a GM is willing to pay for him. I just don't expect that to be valued at more than a couple 2nds.

A team with lots of cap room and a terrible offense like NJ might pay more.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he showed anything in the playoffs this year, he may have some value on a deep team looking for a niche scorer. But he was awful, and for this reason he has little worth to a good team IMO.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

This is such a ******** narrative. Dozens upon dozens of good, young players have poor playoff performances (and I bet more so in their first post-season hockey). I'm not excusing his performance; it was ******. But that doesn't nuke his value. Ridiculous logic.

51 points in the worst year on record for him, still has him beating out all but 20 RWs in points (that means top line production, btw). While only playing second line minutes with an offensively inept center, and not getting top PP mins. Sure @ $6M that's a it high, but only if you plan to keep him playing second line minutes. He didn't gel with McDavid, but before McDavid he was functioning fine with top line mins (60+ points) - so a team that is trading for him shouldn't be ear-marking him for the second line, but for the top line and see him bounce back (though again, "bounce back" is a bit of a joke, because of what I stated above). He's part of the reason that your team even makes the playoffs in the first place - and I get that it's super disappointing to see a playoff performance of this type (Hey, I'm an Oilers fan. It sucked!), but again that doesn't eviscerate his value as much as some people here are talking about. The assumption that because he had one poor playoff performance, he will always have poor playoff performances is ludicrous beyond measure.

A couple of 2nds? That's just stupid, and you can be guaranteed that he won't be traded if that's the best offer Chia is getting.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006

Here's the stats on a all-star who made his playoff debut @ 24 yrs.

GP 25 3-3-6

Takes some players longer than others to figure out the playoffs. And like Gregor (?) or Stauffer (?) said, you need some guys to get you to the playoffs. Eberle had a bad year and it carried into the playoffs. Not in bad cap crunch yet. Be patient.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This is such a ******** narrative. Dozens upon dozens of good, young players have poor playoff performances (and I bet more so in their first post-season hockey). I'm not excusing his performance; it was ******. But that doesn't nuke his value. Ridiculous logic.

51 points in the worst year on record for him, still has him beating out all but 20 RWs in points (that means top line production, btw). While only playing second line minutes with an offensively inept center, and not getting top PP mins. Sure @ $6M that's a it high, but only if you plan to keep him playing second line minutes. He didn't gel with McDavid, but before McDavid he was functioning fine with top line mins (60+ points) - so a team that is trading for him shouldn't be ear-marking him for the second line, but for the top line and see him bounce back (though again, "bounce back" is a bit of a joke, because of what I stated above). He's part of the reason that your team even makes the playoffs in the first place - and I get that it's super disappointing to see a playoff performance of this type (Hey, I'm an Oilers fan. It sucked!), but again that doesn't eviscerate his value as much as some people here are talking about. The assumption that because he had one poor playoff performance, he will always have poor playoff performances is ludicrous beyond measure.

A couple of 2nds? That's just stupid, and you can be guaranteed that he won't be traded if that's the best offer Chia is getting.

You seem to get touchy about the poor Playoffs and completely gloss over the other important point that Edmonton is trying to jettison a $6 million contract in a flat Cap year.

It doesn't matter if $6 million is just a "bit high". The reality is that he'd be the 2nd/3rd highest paid player on almost every team in the NHL (salary tied for 56th overall). You cut out over half the teams in the NHL right at the beginning because there is no way they can fit that contract in. Add into that, as stated above, that serious Cup contenders aren't going to want to add Eberle at his salary because he already crumpled in the Playoffs. He has a game built for the regular season. That eliminates a few more teams right off the bat.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
You seem to get touchy about the poor Playoffs and completely gloss over the other important point that Edmonton is trying to jettison a $6 million contract in a flat Cap year.

It doesn't matter if $6 million is just a "bit high". The reality is that he'd be the 2nd/3rd highest paid player on almost every team in the NHL (salary tied for 56th overall). You cut out over half the teams in the NHL right at the beginning because there is no way they can fit that contract in. Add into that, as stated above, that serious Cup contenders aren't going to want to add Eberle at his salary because he already crumpled in the Playoffs. He has a game built for the regular season. That eliminates a few more teams right off the bat.

Yes I'm touchy about this because people are driving ******** narratives (not just this thread, but many in the oilers forum as well). And just because he's in trade discussions and Chia has trade offers for him, doesn't mean we're trying to jettison him - and if all his value is right now is truly a couple of seconds, then the Oilers have zero motivation to trade him this off-season instead of next when we could use a 50+ point 2RW next year and then get a **** return for him with one year left on his contract.

I'm well aware that Eberle doesn't have a future with the Oilers, and agree with it. I'm arguing value. Eberle being the 2nd or 3rd highest player on a team wouldn't really a big deal when he would also be approximately the 3rd highest scorer on their team, would it? And that's if he doesn't get top line mins and get back to the 60-70 point Eberle in which he could very well be the second highest scoring player one some teams.

And again, you can't use the "this year's playoff performance will indicate future playoff performances" crap - it happens to a lot of players, especially non-elite players.

I'm also not suggesting that Edmonton trade him to a team for futures and prospects without salary coming back. So another one of your points is nullified because a team trading for him would likely be trading back a player with 4+M on their contract - just someone that better fits the team going forward. Your assumption that a team would be "adding 6M" is based on your assumption that his value is only a pair of seconds, which isn't true.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Edmonton isn't trying to "jettison" 6 million dollars. They are looking for a hockey trade, not to dump Eberle for futures.

The "he has a game built for the regular season" argument was used for Pavel Datsyuk for his first couple playoff performances as well. One bad playoff doesn't mean he can't and won't show up in future playoffs.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yes I'm touchy about this because people are driving ******** narratives (not just this thread, but many in the oilers forum as well).

I'm well aware that Eberle doesn't have a future with the Oilers, and agree with it. I'm arguing value. Eberle being the 2nd or 3rd highest player on a team wouldn't really a big deal when he would also be approximately the 3rd highest scorer on their team, would it?

And again, you can't use the "this year's playoff performance will indicate future playoff performances" crap - it happens to a lot of players, especially non-elite players.

I'm also not suggesting that Edmonton trade him to a team for futures and prospects without salary coming back. So another one of your points is nullified because a team trading for him would likely be trading back a player with 4+M on their contract - just someone that better fits the team going forward. Your assumption that a team would be "adding 6M" is based on your assumption that his value is only a pair of seconds, which isn't true.

Points aren't the only factor in team importance. Does Eberle's 2nd/3rd highest team points justify a 2nd/3rd highest salary? If you think centers, defenseman, and goalies don't matter... sure.

I'm not arguing that Edmonton can't find a trading partner with a perfect $4 million forward fit to swap with Eberle. If they do, I'd guess that forward will also be worth about two 2nds (or a late 1st if you like the sound of that better). Using Draft picks is just a normalization of value.

You can say "No, NJ is handing over the 1st OA + Zacha++ because Eberle is a stud". That's fine, it's all opinion.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Points aren't the only factor in team importance. Does Eberle's 2nd/3rd highest team points justify a 2nd/3rd highest salary? If you think centers, defenseman, and goalies don't matter... sure.

I'm not arguing that Edmonton can't find a trading partner with a perfect $4 million forward fit to swap with Eberle. If they do, I'd guess that forward will also be worth about two 2nds (or a late 1st if you like the sound of that better). Using Draft picks is just a normalization of value.

I agree completely with what you're saying, but $6M isn't that outrageous for a 60 point player in this day and age in the NHL - in fact I'd say that's about average. True, he doesn't do some of the other things like play tough and win board battles. But there are quite a few finesse scoring wingers out there and Eberle's salary is pretty close to in line with those other players, especially when looking at P/60 and other advanced statistics. And he's actually shown to be quite good at getting shots away in dangerous areas (I don't have the info or graphs, but I've seen them, they are out there). Get him back to a top line he can work functionally on, and no one would complain about his salary when scoring 25-30 goals and getting 60-70 points.

Fair to use picks as a stand-in for value, but you were also using it as a basis to say that a team won't be able to add $6M to their cap, so you need to be a bit more open about what you mean if you don't want people picking apart your posts.

Also, I think people will be surprised by the return if he does get traded this year. It will probably be a package of Eberle + futures for something rather decent that most people won't be expecting. Just a hunch.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Isn't this a kettle calling a pot black ? You are doing the same thing . Lets look it it .

1) Edmonton will need cap space soon enough and you don't wait until you are over the cap like Chicago . If you do GM,s know you have no choice but to dump cap and it going to cost you .

2) Eberle isn't a Chia type of player .

3) Winger are the easiest piece to sign every off season . See last years Vrbata deal .

4) I still would say we need an upgrade on D and 6 million would be better of spent there .

5) I love Eberle since his JR days but the team comes 1st and he isn't going to be here long term . Point is Chia still doesn't see this team a cup contender . This is why he never made a move at the deadline . Think about what Maroon did at 1.5 million vs what Eberle did at 6 million .

All the about along with Eberle name being out there the past few season also tells you he will be gone at some point . Chia is a smart GM . I am sure he isn't going to pay someone to take him . But think Vegas with all the D that will be available to them would be very interested in a scoring winger .

We will have to see what happens but don't be surprise if he is gone

1) We won't be over the cap next summer unless the cap is rolled back. Even if McDavid and Draisaitl get overpaid we won't be over the cap this year. Most of Chicago's trades haven't been horrible value for their players too by the way.

2) Chiarelli has spoken positively about Eberle. Might be posturing, but we know that Chiarelli isn't going to make the team weaker just to move on from him.

“He was our third leading scorer – he gets a lot of touches. I like his cycle game in his own way. He creates space in his own way because he’s quick and he’s smart.â€

3) How often do "Vrbata last year" deals happen? Not every summer like some would have you believe. Vrbata also got paid nothing because nobody was expecting a resurgence - he was awful the season prior. A team that wants to contend doesn't want guys who might bounce back but also might be done. Wingers are more affordable to replace, but finding a 30 goal 60 point winger isn't easy.

4) We do need an upgrade on D, but we can't afford to overpay another free agent so it will have to be done via trade - and that may or may not even be possible given the pieces that we actually have to trade. We can also make up most of that 6 million if we don't re-sign Russell and buy out or miraculously dump Pouliot.

5) The team does come first, I agree. But trading Eberle for a bad return doesn't help the team get better, and finding a Maroon is easier said than done - we all thought he would be a servicable bottom sixer. As per Chiarelli, I believe it was in his year end press conference where he said that he didn't think they were a contender at the trade deadline doesn't mean he wouldn't see them as such going into the regular season next year even if we kept Eberle. I'm all for trading him, if the deal makes sense. Far too many of the deals proposed here make the Oilers a worse team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad