Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau re-signed! 6 Years, $6.75M AAV

Aug 21, 2014
Ah, in that case it's in Gaudreau's favour. Still a good deal, especially if he remains an elite player - 5 teams bidding is more than enough to garner a respectable return.

This is what happens when I am at work all day. Don't get all the nitty-gritty details. :(

Just trade him before his NTC kicks in. :naughty:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Awesome deal all around. I'm a little bummed it isn't 7yrs but 6 years is a long time. I'm willing to bet Gaudreau jumped in and made his agent cave, everyone knew he didn't want to miss any games.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'm not at all shocked by the average cap hit, nor the term. I'm happy with it. It's smart and the right contract for both sides.

If you think about it, we have quite the core locked up for awhile......only thing to focus on now is winning.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Once the dead weight (Stajan, Wideman, Engelland, etc.,) is finally off the books, and key pieces are re-signed (Elliott, Bennett, Ferland) the Flames will have a little space to bring in one more mid range (4-6M) player, either up front or on defence. So in that regard, 2017-2018 should be the year they make a big push to become bonafide contenders.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gaudreau is, as everyone is well aware, the young, fresh face of a franchise trying to re-define itself. Its undisputed poster boy. Responsible for 51 per cent of Flames' jersey sales.
"That's the hardest part. Getting people to realize … it's a business, too,'' said Treliving. "Hey, as I said, Johnny's unique, a special player. You think I didn't want to see him in our lineup as much as anybody in the city? Please …

"And we all think we should get X amount, right?

"But you're trying to build a team here. You have a lot of people to look after. So it can't be just what's good for tonight. It's got to be good for Year 2, 3 and 4, too.

"The way you have to put together that team is get your core signed long-term at the best numbers you can and carefully build around that.

"Now you can look at us and say: Johnny's long-term, Mony's long-term, you got Brodie, you got Hamilton. Probably the next pillar here is the goaltender (Brian Elliott).
The tide began to turn, according to Treliving, when he made a jaunt east for some face-to-face chat.

"I went out to New York and Philadelphia and met with the agent (Lewis Gross) one night and met with the family and Brian (Burke) came in, too.

"And we started to get momentum. Since then it's been all-day, every-day."
Treliving excited to get Gaudreau signed long-term

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Even though I'd have preferred 7 or 8 years, at least with 6 by the time the contract is done he'll be 29 and if he does re-sign again and we hand out a big final contract, he'd still be relatively young. If we'd have given him an 8 year deal it expires when he is 31 and at that point handing a big contract is riskier as the last years of the deal he'd be older.

Works out better for Johnny because he is young enough to get another big contract, works for the Flames because we get a cheaper contract now and if we re-sign him later, it's less risky as he'll still be in his prime years. We'll also be able to afford a raise for him as Gio will be coming off the books.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know I like the 6 years. 8 years is a long time, and I'm sure we'll still love Johnny in 6. But what happens if he gets concussion problems or something of the like. This deal doesn't handcuff us and gives us flexibility, good for everyone.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
You know I like the 6 years. 8 years is a long time, and I'm sure we'll still love Johnny in 6. But what happens if he gets concussion problems or something of the like. This deal doesn't handcuff us and gives us flexibility, good for everyone.

Someone on the main board put it well. 6 years ago, Vancouver was one of the strongest teams in the NHL. Chicago only had 1 cup. LA hadn't won anything yet. Lots will change in 6 years.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Someone on the main board put it well. 6 years ago, Vancouver was one of the strongest teams in the NHL. Chicago only had 1 cup. LA hadn't won anything yet. Lots will change in 6 years.

Volica I believe, and it's a good thought. Six years is a long time, and who knows what the team and even Gaudreau are like (player wise) by then.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
6 years works great. I've said all along that the term is the most important part of all of this, not because it give us more time to have Johnny on the team, but a longer term tells us that he is not just looking for his first chance to leave and play in the east.

I think 6 years is the minimum number that shows that. While 7 and 8 would still be great, the second most important part of the deal is obviously the annual cap hit and getting an extra year or two would put the AAV higher. This keeps it low and give us so much freedom. After 6 years if he still wants to be here, we can throw pretty much any number at him.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Quickly looking, I really like how Flames contracts are structured. Lots of cap room next year when Bennett and a goalie needs a new contract, Brouwer and Frolik contracts end when Brodie needs to be re-signed, Giordano's contract end when Gaudreau needs new contract etc.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Quickly looking, I really like how Flames contracts are structured. Lots of cap room next year when Bennett and a goalie needs a new contract, Brouwer and Frolik contracts end when Brodie needs to be re-signed, Giordano's contract end when Gaudreau needs new contract etc.
I feel this is an important thing to be aware of. My prediction is, at that time, the "Gio cap" officially becomes the "Gaudreau cap". No disrespect to Gio, but at that point in time I expect he won't be our #1 defenceman, whereas Gaudreau will 100% be our #1 forward.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I feel this is an important thing to be aware of. My prediction is, at that time, the "Gio cap" officially becomes the "Gaudreau cap". No disrespect to Gio, but at that point in time I expect he won't be our #1 defenceman, whereas Gaudreau will 100% be our #1 forward.

In six years, anything could happen. Bennett could be our best forward and be coming off a 2 year bridge deal and asking for $7.5m X 8yr.

While it's nice to want to stick to an internal cap and have that as a low number, $6.75m will be far too low at some point shortly and we'll need to go over it. Guys like Bennett or Tkachuk could very well be asking for $7m+ down the road and not before Gaudreau's contract is over.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
In six years, anything could happen. Bennett could be our best forward and be coming off a 2 year bridge deal and asking for $7.5m X 8yr.

While it's nice to want to stick to an internal cap and have that as a low number, $6.75m will be far too low at some point shortly and we'll need to go over it. Guys like Bennett or Tkachuk could very well be asking for $7m+ down the road and not before Gaudreau's contract is over.

Bennett will have to put up 60 points this year to ask for anything near 6. Tkachuk who knows. But that's 3 or 4 years down the road. We are actually fine if we don't sign any big money long term contracts.

Bennett and next year. 7 or 8 year deal I'm guessing. Say 6 million. Also a goalie maybe but I feel Gillies is the future and Elliot on a shorter deal makes most sense.

Tkachuk in three years signs for 8 years 6 million. (Basically we can't sign anyone for over two years next summer because we need a large chunk of space to re-sign Tkachuk.)

In four years, Dougie and Brodie are FA but we have over 8 million in cap space opening up with Brouwer/Frolik to give them raises.

In six years Gaudreaus contract ends at the same time as Gio's. We can re-sign him if we want.

The first problem we might have is in 7 years, when Monahan's contract is up. Hopefully the cap goes up a bit and we can afford to give him a raise, although he doesn't need a huge raise IMO.

So yeah. We should be fine with our current core. Could be tough to keep young players. Might have to sign them to cheap bridge deals, then trade them for picks/good contract NHLers when they become too expensive.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pretty much no chance Tkachuk ever goes that high with Calgary. He's not on the same tier as Gaudreau.

Bennett might, but only if he gets a bridge deal. But in two years, it will likely be obvious that Brodie's the Flames best defenceman, so the Giordano cap won't make sense anyway.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm going to eat a bit of humble pie. I'm glad it's done. I hope all parties can be happy for the next six years. Congrats to you guys who guessed the term. Cheers and may we have a great season guys!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Volica I believe, and it's a good thought. Six years is a long time, and who knows what the team and even Gaudreau are like (player wise) by then.

'twas me.
6 years is a really long time from now. We could be on coach different coach, management change; we could have a new building coming... Edmonton might be a powerhouse, Chicago might be a basement dweller.

A lot happens in the NHL in 6 years. I'll be in my early 30's lol, that's a long time.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
'twas me.
6 years is a really long time from now. We could be on coach different coach, management change; we could have a new building coming... Edmonton might be a powerhouse, Chicago might be a basement dweller.

A lot happens in the NHL in 6 years. I'll be in my early 30's lol, that's a long time.

Oh **** me too. Don't say things like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad