Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau re-signed! 6 Years, $6.75M AAV

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Big, big deals - whether in term, money or both - always turn into albatrosses due to age and injury. The Kings might need another save via free cap buyouts down the road due to the brown, Richards and kopitar contracts. Good on flames management for changing the game. The cap could flatline for a good number of years so 10 mil plus contracts could be on way out.

Also I believe Johnny will go home to play for his family regardless of the size of his contract. I dont think paying him 7mil+ would have ended up making him a career flame.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Meh, I wouldn't be so set on him leaving after this contract. 6 years is a loooong time, for all we know, he could meet a nice Calgary girl and start a family in that time. I'll save the worrying for 30yr old me :cry:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Meh, I wouldn't be so set on him leaving after this contract. 6 years is a loooong time, for all we know, he could meet a nice Calgary girl and start a family in that time. I'll save the worrying for 30yr old me :cry:

Maybe he will meet a nice Johnny Hoxville?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Hopefully and good point.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Maybe he will meet a nice Johnny Hoxville?

IaLG69W.jpg

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Big, big deals - whether in term, money or both - always turn into albatrosses due to age and injury. The Kings might need another save via free cap buyouts down the road due to the brown, Richards and kopitar contracts. Good on flames management for changing the game. The cap could flatline for a good number of years so 10 mil plus contracts could be on way out.

Also I believe Johnny will go home to play for his family regardless of the size of his contract. I dont think paying him 7mil+ would have ended up making him a career flame.

Often, not always. Keith's contract will likely be great-to-decent his entire career, Ovechkin's is still fine, Carter's is still good, Josi's looks like it will be good for the entirety of its length, etc.

The real issue is that most of these long/big contracts get handed out when players are entering their late 20s/early 30s, which is shortly before a real drop in effectiveness often starts to occur.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm very happy with the contract. That said, I'm apprehensive as to whether he'll stay in Calgary after this contract. I think by year 5 if we're still not one of the dominant teams in the league and haven't at least made the conference finals we'll trade him in the offseason or at the deadline of year 6, out east

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
2. At the end of his contract stalemate, Calgary’s Johnny Gaudreau was getting some pressure from teammates to get it done. Word is Lindholm is getting similar messages.

This is an interesting one. Kelly Hrudey and Nick Kypreos made it very clear during Saturday Headlines they weren’t pleased about this.

5. A couple of notes on Gaudreau.

First, I think his opening ask was basically Aaron Ekblad’s contract. The Panthers’ defenceman makes $7.5M in tax-wonderful Florida, so you make allowances for the difference in Alberta.

As it was explained to me by a much-smarter person, someone making $7.5M in that state would net around $4.5M. (There is potential for other deductions, but I’m trying to keep this as simple as possible.) Someone making $7.5M in Calgary would net out around $3.9 million. So you raise your ask to compensate and that’s how I think it went into the $8.5M range. That was not going to happen, but you don’t short-arm your opening offer.

At the end, I think Calgary was only willing to go to $7M if Gaudreau gave up two years of unrestricted free agency, signing for seven seasons. That wasn’t going to happen. It was a struggle, but both player and team will benefit.

Friedman's 30 Thoughts

May 27, 2012
Earth
I believe it is. I don't think they're getting taxed at close to 50%.

From my understanding, escrow is calculated before taxes. 6.75*0.16 = 1,080,000 in escrow.

His contract after escrow is 5,670,000. He would get taxed off that number.

Gaudreau would then get taxed at 48% for whatever games he plays in Alberta and then taxed every where he plays.

So 5.67*0.53 = 3,005,100
5.67 * 0.38 = 2,154,600.

5,670,000 - 3,005,100 =2,664,000
5,670,000 - 2,154,000 =3,515,400

Gaudreau should actually take home between 2,664,000 and 3,515,400. He would probably be at the lower end of the spectrum due to playing the majority of his games in Alberta.

53% is the highest tax rate in the league. It's in Ontario, and the lowest is at 38% in Florida.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So what's up with Gaudreau? Is he struggling ? Bad coaching or just a bad start? He seems to be getting g chances just not burying them yet.

Any ideas fellas?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Missed training camp.

New system.

Didn't train at altitude, affecting home game play (his bread & butter)

Had tons of chances tonight but is still trying to do a lot by himself. Looked good though.

Home games are not his bread and butter any more than any other player; that's just how the bounces happened last season.

He just looked rusty as hell to start. Rusty, confused, and probably putting too much pressure on himself.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Home games are not his bread and butter any more than any other player; that's just how the bounces happened last season.

He just looked rusty as hell to start. Rusty, confused, and probably putting too much pressure on himself.

It was painfully obvious how much pressure he was putting on himself. He would snap after every play, or every save a goalie made on him. Seemed to settle down against CHI, I think the points start to flow now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I personally do not think missing training camp had anything to do with anything. He looked like the best player on his team at the WC, I don't think missing 2 weeks would make a player like him rusty.

New coach, new system, stress of a contract, new season, clinching the stick. He's fine, he will go on a tear for the rest of the year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It was painfully obvious how much pressure he was putting on himself. He would snap after every play, or every save a goalie made on him. Seemed to settle down against CHI, I think the points start to flow now.
But that doesn't fit the Oiler fan narrative that he's not trying because he cashed in, so you simply cannot be correct

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I personally do not think missing training camp had anything to do with anything. He looked like the best player on his team at the WC, I don't think missing 2 weeks would make a player like him rusty.

New coach, new system, stress of a contract, new season, clinching the stick. He's fine, he will go on a tear for the rest of the year.
But the WC was also against other guys who hadn't played all summer. Sit for two weeks while everyone else is getting into NHL game shape and you will fall behind.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
But the WC was also against other guys who hadn't played all summer. Sit for two weeks while everyone else is getting into NHL game shape and you will fall behind.

The level of play at the World Cup was significantly higher than an NHL training camp. That's why it was the World Cup and they only let the best players in the world play.

I'm surprised this is even an argument being made. Missing out as everyone's getting on the same page for the system can be tough, but saying you're not in NHL shape while you're playing in a round robin against the best players in the world is another matter.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The level of play at the World Cup was significantly higher than an NHL training camp. That's why it was the World Cup and they only let the best players in the world play.

I'm surprised this is even an argument being made. Missing out as everyone's getting on the same page for the system can be tough, but saying you're not in NHL shape while you're playing in a round robin against the best players in the world is another matter.
If you're playing a system that's completely foreign to you, yeah it's going to be tough to adjust no matter how good you are.

Playing on a team with other world class players will certainly help you look marvelous too.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Every time I think of a player on a slump, I just think of the Crosby-slump of last year, only to find him a PPG player at the end of the season and a cup-winner. I am not worried at all.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

No, I think it's a perfectly valid reasoning. Everyone knows that players take time to adjust to systems, but it's really a non-factor if every player in the tournament is having to adapt to a new system. Then it just becomes more about players vs. players rather than systems vs. systems. The level of skill might be higher, but the systems play probably isn't. The exception would probably be Team Canada, who have a consistent coach and collection of players basically for that exact reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad