Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau re-signed! 6 Years, $6.75M AAV

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Oh **** me too. Don't say things like that.

It's strange when you realize that maybe 95% of the players in NHL are younger than you, and that you were old enough to drink when some of the rookies were born :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
'twas me.
6 years is a really long time from now. We could be on coach different coach, management change; we could have a new building coming... Edmonton might be a powerhouse, Chicago might be a basement dweller.

A lot happens in the NHL in 6 years. I'll be in my early 30's lol, that's a long time.

You have just triggered a personal existential crisis. Brb buying motorcycle.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Worse if I said you could in theory have 3 kids, easily :laugh:

It's strange when you realize that maybe 95% of the players in NHL are younger than you, and that you were old enough to drink when some of the rookies were born :laugh:

krabs_rag3do.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
'twas me.
6 years is a really long time from now. We could be on coach different coach, management change; we could have a new building coming... Edmonton might be a powerhouse, Chicago might be a basement dweller.

A lot happens in the NHL in 6 years. I'll be in my early 30's lol, that's a long time.

I'll be in my *** damn 40's! :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm happy we're actually looking at this deal real time versus NHL 17 :laugh: 6 years is a long friggen time.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
On a negative note . . .

Just going to report what I heard on my drive home from work today (in the Greater Toronto Area). Bob McKenzie was on the "Overdrive" radio show (TSN 1050) with Hayes, McClennan and Jeff O'Neill and I would say generally the guys were fairly moderate in talking about the Gaudreau contract, but, that they believed Calgary got a good deal.

McKenzie DID, however, let out that he believed Gaudreau was insulted by the process and even believed that he would be paid as one of the top talents in the league - in that 8 million range. Hayes went as far as to say JG could very well be the best winger in the league even this season. I'm trying to portray this honestly. It wasn't like a big *****fest on Calgary Flames' management or Johnny Gaudreau . . . But a person would have to be deaf to have not heard the hint of concern that has possibly come out of this. Further, in keeping with past fears of mine on the terms of this signing, there seemed to be a feeling coming through the radio that getting JG at a bargain . . . might not be the best thing. McClennan even went so far as saying that when Johnny comes out of this contract as a 29 year old, his prime will be past even though the club only ate up 1 year of UFA status. McKenzie also brought up the tweet that Johnny sent which suspiciously excluded the Flames' management (in other words, it wasn't just our imaginations in here).

I'm not trying to oversell what I heard, as the general sense of the conversation was that it was a good contract. But, there was a hint of concern. Hayes did say something along the lines of if JG continues his rise, he could be in the ten-milllionish league come next contract. But that's when McClennan brought up the point about JG's prime being used up (which I don't totally agree with - JG probably has 3 or so great years after that).

Anyone get what I'm throwing down? I'd just hate it so much after following the Flames since the early 80s to have such a superstar and see the start of a possible deterioration.

But, at this point it's probably beating a dead horse, don't know.

I love that the Flames have this gem and hopefully it's all good things going forward.

Last edited:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
On a negative note . . .

Just going to report what I heard on my drive home from work today (in the Greater Toronto Area). Bob McKenzie was on the "Overdrive" radio show (TSN 1050) with Hayes, McClennan and Jeff O'Neill and I would say generally the guys were fairly moderate in talking about the Gaudreau contract, but, that they believed Calgary got a good deal.

McKenzie DID, however, let out that he believed Gaudreau was insulted by the process and even believed that he would be paid as one of the top talents in the league - in that 8 million range. Hayes went as far as to say JG could very well be the best winger in the league even this season. I'm trying to portray this honestly. It wasn't like a big *****fest on Calgary Flames' management or Johnny Gaudreau . . . But a person would have to be deaf to have not heard the hint of concern that has possibly come out of this. Further, in keeping with past fears of mine on the terms of this signing, there seemed to be a feeling coming through the radio that getting JG at a bargain . . . might not be the best thing. McClennan even went so far as saying that when Johnny comes out of this contract as a 29 year old, his prime will be past even though the club only ate up 1 year of UFA status. McKenzie also brought up the tweet that Johnny sent which suspiciously excluded the Flames' management (in other words, it wasn't just our imaginations in here).

I'm not trying to oversell what I heard, as the general sense of the conversation was that it was a good contract. But, there was a hint of concern. Hayes did say something along the lines of if JG continues his rise, he could be in the ten-milllionish league come next contract. But that's when McClennan brought up the point about JG's prime being used up (which I don't totally agree with - JG probably has 3 or so great years after that).

Anyone get what I'm throwing down? I'd just hate it so much after following the Flames since the early 80s to have such a superstar and see the start of a possible deterioration.

But, at this point it's probably beating a dead horse, don't know.

I love that the Flames have this gem and hopefully it's all good things going forward.

There is both sides of it though. Anglesmith posted a link to an interview with Johnny and he sounded genuinely excited to get the contract done and both him and Tre have stated that he loves the city of Calgary, the fans, and his teammates. And with the whole contract thing he stated numerous times that he just leaves the negotiating to Gross (which is why I think at least it took so long to get done) so he can't really be upset he wasn't in the 8 million range if he had no say in negotiations. And honestly every team tries to bargain their players. Look at what Stevie Y just did with Kucherov:amazed:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Trying to extract emotion from what amounts to a press release is pointless. It is also painfully obvious that Bobby Mac (and no other "insider") had any real knowledge of what was going on in the negotiations.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Trying to extract emotion from what amounts to a press release is pointless. It is also painfully obvious that Bobby Mac (and no other "insider") had any real knowledge of what was going on in the negotiations.

I think you mean Bobby Mac didn't have any insider knowledge? Haha

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Exactly. Bob has seemed to be on the outside of this entire process. He even tweeted the day before the signing that both sides were still significantly apart a good amount and that Kucherov would be next RFA signed. He was continually using the "Francis Report" as a main source and all he ever added to anything was speculation.

So since the signing, has Bob spoken to Gaudreau was personally told by him that he was insulted? Or did he read the tweet and formed a conclusion of his own?

Look, let's stick to the facts.

-Johnny probably wanted over 8 and did not want to settle for any less than Taresenko money.

-The Flames did not want to go over 6.75.

-This process was very difficult for everyone especially Gaudreau and understandably so.

-Gaudreau will be here for 6 years with his current contract.

-How he is treated by the coaching staff in regards to minutes, PP time and linemates, and what kind of core he's surrounded by will have a far greater effect on how he feels about staying in Calgary.

I don't doubt for a second that he wanted more money, but at the same time Gaudreau just got the highest contract ever awarded for a player in his situation/age that has only played 2 years in the league.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
There is both sides of it though. Anglesmith posted a link to an interview with Johnny and he sounded genuinely excited to get the contract done and both him and Tre have stated that he loves the city of Calgary, the fans, and his teammates. And with the whole contract thing he stated numerous times that he just leaves the negotiating to Gross (which is why I think at least it took so long to get done) so he can't really be upset he wasn't in the 8 million range if he had no say in negotiations. And honestly every team tries to bargain their players. Look at what Stevie Y just did with Kucherov:amazed:

The Kucherov deal seems low but it was literally all that was left in the bank (not the case in Calgary). Also, Kuch will be just 26 and ready to get paid huge if he keeps the pace he's played at going. I personally was thinking JG would end up with a shorter term deal and less money til a few contracts are off the books and he puts together a couple of more good seasons.

But, like you said, in the link Anglesmith posted he sounded glad it's all over and he's signed. That's encouraging.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Exactly. Bob has seemed to be on the outside of this entire process. He even tweeted the day before the signing that both sides were still significantly apart a good amount and that Kucherov would be next RFA signed. He was continually using the "Francis Report" as a main source and all he ever added to anything was speculation.

So since the signing, has Bob spoken to Gaudreau was personally told by him that he was insulted? Or did he read the tweet and formed a conclusion of his own?

Look, let's stick to the facts.

-Johnny probably wanted over 8 and did not want to settle for any less than Taresenko money.

-The Flames did not want to go over 6.75.

-This process was very difficult for everyone especially Gaudreau and understandably so.

-Gaudreau will be here for 6 years with his current contract.

-How he is treated by the coaching staff in regards to minutes, PP time and linemates, and what kind of core he's surrounded by will have a far greater effect on how he feels about staying in Calgary.

I don't doubt for a second that he wanted more money, but at the same time Gaudreau just got the highest contract ever awarded for a player in his situation/age that has only played 2 years in the league.

Good post.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Kucherov deal seems low but it was literally all that was left in the bank (not the case in Calgary). Also, Kuch will be just 26 and ready to get paid huge if he keeps the pace he's played at going. I personally was thinking JG would end up with a shorter term deal and less money til a few contracts are off the books and he puts together a couple of more good seasons.

But, like you said, in the link Anglesmith posted he sounded glad it's all over and he's signed. That's encouraging.
how is that not all that is left in the bank in Calgary? The Flames have less than $7,000 in cap space

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Johnny can't be too upset, 6 years is a long time to commit to an organization that you're "salty" with.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Versteeg + the 300k left on Bollig's cap hit costs the same as Bollig alone. Grossmann signed for the league minimum to fill out the roster

We should have given Gaudreau that extra 582k per year. Management went too far! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00