Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau re-signed! 6 Years, $6.75M AAV

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Just driving home from work and I hear on Toronto radio that "now that Johnny's back in Calgary." I was on here all afternoon, shut it down for an hour and deal gets done lol.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Happy Giordano's big contract will be off the cap when he'll need an extension. I still wish they went high on term over lower AAV, but hey, I guess it's nice the drama is done.

Hilarious his deal is more-or-less the same as Kesler's and Stepan's. The market is messed up.

You must remember that Kesler and Stepan win face offs and Johnny doesn't and Kesler has the hits and Johnny doesn't.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

It was a compromise. Neither party caved, neither got all of what they wanted but both got something. Flames keep their Gio cap intact, Gaudreau only gave up one UFA year.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm still pondering this deal.

It's good for both sides if Johnny is a top 25 point-getter every year. But what if by this season he's challenging for the league title in points. What if he's top 5 point producer every year? After a year or two he might genuinely not be happy about it all. That's an honest possibility. I guess we'll find out.

Glad he's a Flame for six more years anyway.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Took him first round in my fantasy draft, so I have had an eye on this. Best in the world though? does he have that kind of upside?

Whether a winger can truly be the best player in all of hockey is very debatable but I think he has the potential to be the best winger in the game. He will never have the same type of game as someone as OV or Benn but the way he plays the game is something special.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Thank God this is done before the Oilers game. Hopefully Johnny lights up the score sheet and we don't have to listen to the announcers and their circle jerk over McDavid.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

It was a comprise. Neither party caved, neither got all of what they wanted but both got something. Flames keep their Gio cap intact, Gaudreau only gave up one UFA year.

All I care about is that he's happy. Hopefully it remains the same over the contract!

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm still pondering this deal.

It's good for both sides if Johnny is a top 25 point-getter every year. But what if by this season he's challenging for the league title in points. What if he's top 5 point producer every year? After a year or two he might genuinely not be happy about it all. That's an honest possibility. I guess we'll find out.

Glad he's a Flame for six more years anyway.

I'm sure he'll be fine. Tons of high-end young guys have similar contracts. He's not being screwed over at all.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good deal. Johnny is the man

So how much saving did the Flames get?

Do they have some money left to get Johnny a real RW?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Signing bonus 3 million, salary 3.75 million in the first year. What the **** is that lol? Same with in year 5?

Uh, here's your bonus but we're taking it out of your salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad