Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau re-signed! 6 Years, $6.75M AAV

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Signing bonus 3 million, salary 3.75 million in the first year. What the **** is that lol? Same with in year 5?

Uh, here's your bonus but we're taking it out of your salary.
It's guaranteed money up front for Johnny. Who would complain about that?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Signing bonus 3 million, salary 3.75 million in the first year. What the **** is that lol? Same with in year 5?

If you take a job with a certain yearly salary, getting half of it the first week would be pretty sweet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It's the only type of bonus allowed, it also allows the player to get a lump sum payment

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I have to say, that statement kind of makes Johnny seem less than thrilled about the deal. Contrasting with Monahan, there is no gratitude displayed towards the Flames organization for the commitment they made to him.

Yeah honestly Murray Edwards is a huge terd. Can't blame the kid. I feel bad for him. And I'm still mad our organization just didn't pay him what he wanted on a long term deal. Just to say, you're the guy. We need you. Never leave. Management should never upset a star player over a million dollars per year. Bad buisness.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I have to say, that statement kind of makes Johnny seem less than thrilled about the deal. Contrasting with Monahan, there is no gratitude displayed towards the Flames organization for the commitment they made to him.

He did also make an instagram post later saying how stoked he was to be back with the flames and can't wait to play at the dome on friday

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gaudreau seems a little socially awkward though. He's got 6 years here, I think a lot can happen in that time. Calgary is a really attractive city to live in, as of today we have no reason to think he's going to want to leave at some point. This contract does benefit him though should that ever become a want for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah honestly Murray Edwards is a huge terd. Can't blame the kid. I feel bad for him. And I'm still mad our organization just didn't pay him what he wanted on a long term deal. Just to say, you're the guy. We need you. Never leave. Management should never upset a star player over a million dollars per year. Bad buisness.

To be clear, it's only "bad business" if indeed this comes back to bite the Flames. That is to say, if Johnny wants out after the deal and binds the Flames' hands in that process. And even then it might be okay if the Flames are able to use the saved money to build a cup winner within the next six seasons. The only way this is bad business is if these become the only six seasons we have with a disgruntled Gaudreau, and they aren't good seasons because of the unhappiness of the player. Given Gaudreau's passion for the game and for the team, that seems... unlikely.

Otherwise, it's great business, because we get the same player for less money and less cap hit, which is a great asset in the cap world.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To be clear, it's only "bad business" if indeed this comes back to bite the Flames. That is to say, if Johnny wants out after the deal and binds the Flames' hands in that process. And even then it might be okay if the Flames are able to use the saved money to build a cup winner within the next six seasons. The only way this is bad business is if these become the only six seasons we have with a disgruntled Gaudreau, and they aren't good seasons because of the unhappiness of the player. Given Gaudreau's passion for the game and for the team, that seems... unlikely.

Otherwise, it's great business, because we get the same player for less money and less cap hit, which is a great asset in the cap world.

Great post AS! This deal will go a long way in keeping all of Johnny, Sean, Bennett, Tkachuk, Brodie, Dougie and a future goalie here.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
@EricFrancis - So, when is the retirement party? I knew that asking price was way out of line.

Aug 3, 2010
Seeing as there is no NTC/NMC in his contract, I like this as a solid deal for both sides. Gaudreau gets his guaranteed cash, Treliving gets his best player through his prime years, and can opt to trade him as a sign of good PR/asset management in his UFA year to an Eastern Conference team and hopefully return some useful assets.

It's not to say with any degree of certainty Gaudreau won't be a career Flame but there is a tonne of flexibility with this contract for both parties with regards to money, term, and future decisions.

Worth the wait.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Seeing as there is no NTC/NMC in his contract, I like this as a solid deal for both sides. Gaudreau gets his guaranteed cash, Treliving gets his best player through his prime years, and can opt to trade him as a sign of good PR/asset management in his UFA year to an Eastern Conference team and hopefully return some useful assets.

It's not to say with any degree of certainty Gaudreau won't be a career Flame but there is a tonne of flexibility with this contract for both parties with regards to money, term, and future decisions.

Worth the wait.

Just to clarify, Johnny does have a limited NTC in his final year. A five-team list. Hopefully this time that list doesn't get leaked if it gets to that point. :rolleyes:

Aug 21, 2014

Worth the wait.

There's a NTC on the last year of the deal, 5 teams he'll accept a deal to.

Aug 3, 2010
There's a NTC on the last year of the deal, 5 teams he'll accept a deal to.
Ah, in that case it's in Gaudreau's favour. Still a good deal, especially if he remains an elite player - 5 teams bidding is more than enough to garner a respectable return.

This is what happens when I am at work all day. Don't get all the nitty-gritty details. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad