Confirmed with Link: Johnny Gaudreau re-signed! 6 Years, $6.75M AAV

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yes! Thank God we got the best player in the world locked up. What a steal of a contract, nothing to be upset about here. As long as he's happy here, we can re-sign him after the 6 years.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Everything looks better now.

Except it does kind of suck that he's going to have basically one practice under the new coach before the season starts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's amusing how true to form this is for Treliving. Takes a long time, everyone gradually starts to panic more and more, and then it gets done at a stunningly low number.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was **** on on this point since January so it is nice to see the information I was provided was correct. It will be interesting to see how no training camp affects his game.

:laugh: I said he would sign for 8 years, @ 7.25. Had he signed for 2 more years, I would have been quite close. You can say whatever you want, but the Flames have been very public of late about what an important part of the team Gaudreau is. This deal proves that.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Everything looks better now.

Except it does kind of suck that he's going to have basically one practice under the new coach before the season starts.

If there is anyone on the team who I wouldn't worry about adjusting slowly to a new coach, its Johnny. I'm not worried the slightest.

At least our top line won't be Ferland - Monahan - Vey to start the season now :laugh::laugh:

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
5ytRUpq.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Six years only buys one year of UFA. It's actually kind of like the Brodie contract; low cap hit but low term too.

Shortsighted not to go for the full term even if it meant an extra 750K in AAV.

At least Vey or Bollig will be sent down now. Hopefully both if the Flames put in a waiver claim.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
its over guys, wouldve loved 8 years but at 6.75 its an amazing deal. Time to celebrate!!

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
:laugh: I said he would sign for 8 years, @ 7.25. Had he signed for 2 more years, I would have been quite close. You can say whatever you want, but the Flames have been very public of late about what an important part of the team Gaudreau is. This deal proves that.

This is a good contract for the Flames moving foward. There is enough term to mend wounds and it gives the team time to see if Johnny has the Patrick Kane or Sharp skillset.

Calgary is set to be a contender in the west for the next 5 to 10 years. With that I am very happy.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Tre has done a good job at spreading out the years though. Brodie, Hamilton, Johnny, and Monahan all have their contracts ending on different years.

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
teasrs of joy were in my eyes when I opened up facebook and saw the Flames posted the post ive been waiting so long for. Heres Johnny!!!! 6 more years of watching this wizard work his magic!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Beautiful, steal of a deal; Flames did well here.

Johnny for 6 years is dynamite.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
But what about his tweet? :laugh:

But **** yass! We won't be so bad now, the pity party that was starting was all for not

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Happy Giordano's big contract will be off the cap when he'll need an extension. I still wish they went high on term over lower AAV, but hey, I guess it's nice the drama is done.

Hilarious his deal is more-or-less the same as Kesler's and Stepan's. The market is messed up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Six years is disappointing but kind of proves the 'Gio cap' was a thing.

Oh well; Gaudreau gets another chance at another payday at the age of 29 while the Flames get the cap hit at a number they're comfortable with.

Hopefully the Flames make the best of their six year cup window.
It doesn't "prove" anything. It could merely be a coincidence that the number ended up the same, or maybe before signing Giordano they identified 6.75 as the highest they could go for any 1 player until the cap reaches a certain point. Does is make a "Gio cap" more likely? Sure, but it certainly does not prove it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad