Jimmy Vesey (going to the Rangers)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That's pie-in-the-sky.

I should have said potential. Not top 6 on an ELC now. Those don't typically get moved. Too valuable. But a guy who has that potential. Pokka is a projected top 4 defenseman. Those don't get moved while on ELCs too often either. So....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I should have said potential. Not top 6 on an ELC now. Those don't typically get moved. Too valuable. But a guy who has that potential. Pokka is a projected top 4 defenseman. Those don't get moved while on ELCs too often either. So....

A projected top 4 defender who our GM refused to call up at any point last season while a guy like Gus , A washed up Scuderi and former has been Ehrhoff played...

Sorry but its becoming clear that Pokka's future in Chicago isn't looking so good

Especially with TVR here and now Kempny signed. With pending expansion draft and reality that Pokka would be exposed. His days with Hawks organization seem numbered

Sadly we likely wont even get to see him before he is given away

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Bummer that we lost out on Vesey.

As for the Hawks, it's hard to call any team a serious Cup contender when they have a borderline AHL talent slotted on their top line. I would have felt a lot better about the situation had Stan not given Dano away to the Jets. He could have been a great fit after a year in the Hawks system. Oh well.

Start calling the kane line the 1st line. Better?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Panarin-Toews-Schmaltz
Who Gives a ****-Anisimov-Kane
Panik-Kruger-Hossa
Desi-Lundberg-Hartman

2.3m in cap space. Motte will be in the mix. Hino as well. Pokka is tradeable asset, along with Gus. They'll rely on that D and Crow early while they sort out the forward situation and probably make a decision in the winter about who to target for a playoff run.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Panarin-Toews-Schmaltz
Panik-Kruger-Hossa
Desi-Lundberg-Hartman

2.3m in cap space. Motte will be in the mix. Hino as well. Pokka is tradeable asset along with Gus.

So basically Hawks need 4 rookies to make major impacts and Panik to prove he is a NHL top 9 talent and not AHL/NHL tweener he has been thus far in his career for Hawks to be competitive?

Your actually doing a pretty good job of supporting my argument here and the sad reality Hawks face upfront

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So then we have no 3rd/4th lines and a borderline NHL talent on 2nd line LW (With a fading Hossa on opposite wing)

Doesn't really make things much better

Just confirms reality that this is once again a one line team

I was a dressing his specific concern.

The Hawks were going to need some production from kids weather or not they got Vessey. If they get Hudler I'll fell good about where they are at.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
So basically Hawks need 4 rookies to make major impacts and Panik to prove he is a NHL top 9 talent and not AHL/NHL tweener he has been thus far in his career for Hawks to be competitive?

Your actually doing a pretty good job of supporting my argument here and the sad reality Hawks face upfront

Weren't they gonna rely on 3-4 rookies if they signed Vesey? Why all of a sudden are you in here with doom and gloom? They have cap space and some tradeable assets to address this issue before we get to April. Not sure why we're already writing off the season in August.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Weren't they gonna rely on 3-4 rookies if they signed Vesey? Why all of a sudden are you in here with doom and gloom?

Cause this was Stanley's plan for summer and he failed at it. His only F signings have all be pretty terrible (Mashinter/Tootoo) and its a concern that those two both may start year as regulars because of Stanley's horrid roster management which including losing TT because of self inflicted cap mistakes

Also I don't have much faith in Hartman at this point to be anything more then 4th liner with what he has shown. Motte to me is beyond overhyped by this fanbase right now and Schmaltz being forced to be guy who is answer to our top 6 disaster at this point seems horrible handling of prospect

Also the Euro vet to me is longshot to make NHL at this point. Let alone be given the 4th line C spot

The Hawks prospect pool is weak and adding a Vesey to mix certainly would have been good thing. Now we are no Vesey and have to rely on a collection of kids who outside of Schmaltz don't look all that promising

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Weren't they gonna rely on 3-4 rookies if they signed Vesey? Why all of a sudden are you in here with doom and gloom? They have cap space and some tradeable assets to address this issue before we get to April. Not sure why we're already writing off the season in August.

Because that's his sad, tired, boring schtick. Any excuse he can find to rip Stanley.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Could they give a PTO to Tanguay? Him and Vermy were pretty good for the Yotes at the end of the year IIRC.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I can see them offering a PTO to Tanguay/Flash and a 1yr 1.5m with bonuses to Hudler. Hudler option 1, PTOs are option 2.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bringing back Flash after the disappearing act he pulled in playoffs would be a joke

It would fit Stanley's past of trying to ignore his mistake and make matters worse. That Danault/2nd giveaway has done enough damage already

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Bringing back Flash after the disappearing act he pulled in playoffs would be a joke

It would fit Stanley's past of trying to ignore his mistake and make matters worse. That Danault/2nd giveaway has done enough damage already

Dude. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenougggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There is absolutely 0 wrong with bringing in vets to hedge the bet on the kids. Nothing. We don't need these guys to be top 6 players. We need them to be better in the NHL than Mash/Tootoo/Moose, etc. That they will be. That's it. The smallest incremental improvement is what matters. Our offense won't need to be 2015 good. We're not icing ****ing Cummmer and Kimmo on D anymore.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dude. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenougggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

There is absolutely 0 wrong with bringing in vets to hedge the bet on the kids. Nothing. We don't need these guys to be top 6 players. We need them to be better in the NHL than Mash/Tootoo/Moose, etc. That they will be. That's it. The smallest incremental improvement is what matters.

So Fernando Pisani then?

Also we do need one of these guys to be a top 6 player ,, Incase you haven't noticed we don't have two top 6 LW's and Hossa is fading

The Hawks very much need someone to play in top 6. Neither Tanguay or Flash is that guy and again after that playoff performance the Hawks should be well beyond wanting to see Flash play for Hawks again

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Panarin-Toews-Schmaltz
Panik-Kruger-Hossa
Desi-Lundberg-Hartman

2.3m in cap space. Motte will be in the mix. Hino as well. Pokka is tradeable asset, along with Gus. They'll rely on that D and Crow early while they sort out the forward situation and probably make a decision in the winter about who to target for a playoff run.

Great post. I hope those lines are tried. I think moose is 4c. He can play. I hope we save the cap space, at the deadline invaluable or good for bonuses. I do not want hudler. At all. Give the kids a shot. We will hit on at least one and if we get 2 we are on our way. We will win with d and crow. It is great the kids need to be solid first production second. That is what q always says anyway. ESp true this year. Dano sucks. Kayes sucks. But for different reasons.

Save cap, be patient with kids@F, move kid d if we really need to, use cap space to take advantage of teams instead of being taken advantage of.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
For the record I reaaaaaallly wanted Vesey and I'm disappointed that Kayes has somehow ****ed us again, but I'm still optimistic on what this season can be. Hawks have options. If we had no cap space and no tradeable assets then I'd feel like a playoff team that will go nowhere ala STL.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It's really easy to look at what this team lost (and missed out on), and talk about everything this team can't be, but I usually expect that type of talk from non-fans.

I look at what this team is bringing back, and I'm really excited for what could be if everything clicks.

This is a team led by one of the best two-way centers in the world (don't care what some of you say), one of the best all-around defensemen in the world, one of the best shutdown defensemen in the world, the NHL's reigning MVP, the NHL's reigning Calder Trophy winner, and a top-10 goalie.

The supporting cast is nothing to write off either, and most teams would love to pluck guys from this team's secondary group.

As for the kids; some may hit, others may miss, but I'm confident the success of this season will not hinge on Motte or Schmaltz.

There is so much senseless negativity over the upcoming season by some posters and i think it is really ridiculous, especially since it was sparked by a projected 30 point player choosing the Rangers.

Bottom line, I'd much rather go down with my ship than jump ship before it even leaves port.

Killer Boots Man

Jul 8, 2015
Hossa isn't getting any younger and Toews already showed he cant carry a line.

Also our 3rd and 4th lines are absolute trash at this point with removal of TT and Shaw

And Panik once again is unproven and none of the kids have shown much to be excited about

Hawks have no 1st line LW , No 3rd line or 4th line and then add in the Hossa decline and things are just looking bleak upfront

you-need-to-relax.gif

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Outside of Kruger the depth in bottom 6 is fringe NHL talent or kids ,, How is that pretty good depth defensively?
It will be a good test for Hawks' system. For example can a Mcneil or a Hartman come in and play responsibly with some grit? I think so.

Also: Can a Motte or a Schmaltz play in the top 6? Will Stan pursue a top 6 player before the season begins? Or will he wait and make another decision at the TD?

Options exist. Are there concerns? Yes, but I'm not nearly as pessimistic as you know who.

Killer Boots Man

Jul 8, 2015
So then we have no 3rd/4th lines and a borderline NHL talent on 2nd line LW (With a fading Hossa on opposite wing)

Doesn't really make things much better

Just confirms reality that this is once again a one line team

Don't forget Kruger is healthy, unlike last year. His line will be a very strong bottom six line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad