Jimmy Vesey (going to the Rangers)

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Interesting indeed. If he made his decision based on whatever Hayes said or even playing with Hayes was a reason to sign with NY I believe that the Hawks and all the other teams have been spared.

I agree with this. Hayes is very toolish. Probably said Q gonna make you learn D, have high expectations as a pro, how hard it is with Q coming from college. Here in NY you can have mommy at your games and we can crap in a stairwell together somewhere in the Bronx. They are meant for each other.

I hope everyone remembers he was 23yo playing against a lot of 18-20 yo. Won't have that benefit of lack NCAA D to inflate those stats. Hobey's are very hit or miss especially the senior ones.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I agree with this. Hayes is very toolish. Probably said Q gonna make you learn D, have high expectations as a pro, how hard it is with Q coming from college. Here in NY you can have mommy at your games and we can crap in a stairwell together somewhere in the Bronx. They are meant for each other.

I hope everyone remembers he was 23yo playing against a lot of 18-20 yo. Won't have that benefit of lack NCAA D to inflate those stats. Hobey's are very hit or miss especially the senior ones.

This is kind of a tired narrative. He played against as many 21-23 year olds as he did 18-20 year olds. If he were 24 and his Senior year was his only productive year then it's more of a convo, much like an overager in Junior tearing it up (like Beach).

College to pro is a big jump, but the age on age narrative is kind of an old, false one.

StanDaMan

Jul 15, 2015
Vesey has bust written all over. No sour grapes, but typycally guys who seek this type of attention never pan out.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
This is kind of a tired narrative. He played against as many 21-23 year olds as he did 18-20 year olds. If he were 24 and his Senior year was his only productive year then it's more of a convo, much like an overager in Junior tearing it up (like Beach).

College to pro is a big jump, but the age on age narrative is kind of an old, false one.

The ECAC, the league in which Harvard plays in, tend to have older players than say the NCHC, Big Ten, or Hockey East does. Look at the rosters for non-elite programs, a lot of 20 year old freshmen, very few teenagers.

Neo1978

Aug 3, 2015
Vesey has bust written all over. No sour grapes, but typycally guys who seek this type of attention never pan out.

What attention? Just because people like you aren't used to players exercising this part of the CBA doesn't mean that the ones that do are trying to "grab attention." And what he did is what most IVY league types end up doing. When they leave school, they listen to a couple of offers from some high priced firms and then make a selection. And in fact if you asked him about it, I think he would say he would have preferred hockey fans not pay any attention to it at all. Since he knows he is going to end up disappointing more fans than he is going to make happy...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Lets stop with the Vesey sour grapes. But now, he's just merely, "dead to us." What he does for a team on the slide means absolutely nothing to me. I wish him well though. I hope it was the right decision for him. NYC is a cruel place for players who don't live up to the hype. It takes a special breed of athlete to succeed as DRose will soon find out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This. Talent is talent. 23 vs 19-21 year olds is a lot different than a 20 year old vs. 16-17 year olds.

The ECAC, the league in which Harvard plays in, tend to have older players than say the NCHC, Big Ten, or Hockey East does. Look at the rosters for non-elite programs, a lot of 20 year old freshmen, very few teenagers.

See what I posted above.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not too upset about the "loss"

If Hayes had an impact on his decision, it had nothing to do with us, because Hayes never played for this team.

Is Vesey really that much better than some of our other prospects?

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

KHayes would've signed after junior year but Hawks didn't sign him after potential career ending injury that year. More power to him to come back from injury and have a good senior year that offered him free agent options under the CBA.

Ripping on kids for wanting to be around family has always been a weird one for me. Like we know anything about people's personal lives or the health/circumstances of loved ones.

And I don't see why KHayes saying the Rangers is a better spot than the Hawks is an issue. This is professional sports. Everyone is trying to win. Is KHayes suppose tell Vesey the Hawks are a better spot than the Rangers?! I don't know what planet you're living on. I guess a world where anyone who doesnt choose the Hawks in free agency is a tool?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The "yeah well I never liked you anyway!" posts are coming out in full force already. As are the baseless insinuations about his character. Nice.

Too bad we didn't get him, he could've possibly given us a couple years of very cheap production. Good luck to him in NY

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Not too upset about the "loss"

If Hayes had an impact on his decision, it had nothing to do with us, because Hayes never played for this team.

Is Vesey really that much better than some of our other prospects?

But Kayes' brother did. I mean, this is some serious mental gymnastics you're doing.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
KHayes would've signed after junior year but Hawks didn't sign him after potential career ending injury that year. More power to him to come back from injury and have a good senior year that offered him free agent options under the CBA.

Ripping on kids for wanting to be around family has always been a weird one for me. Like we know anything about people's personal lives or the health/circumstances of loved ones.

And I don't see why KHayes saying the Rangers is a better spot than the Hawks is an issue. This is professional sports. Everyone is trying to win. Is KHayes suppose tell Vesey the Hawks are a better spot than the Rangers?! I don't know what planet you're living on. I guess a world where anyone who doesnt choose the Hawks in free agency is a tool?

I wasn't 'ripping' on him only making an attempt at a little comedy based on his publicly stated desires. Never once did he say because of x health of y family member is why I want to stay around home. So just relax there on acting like some protector of the Vesey character. Noble of you, but very ill advised as you are making assumptions on me on the very same basis you are flaming me.

Khayes is a tool from what I have been told by people that, you know, went to school with him. How have you discovered him to be a great guy? Again, you are doing the same to me you are flaming me for. But go ahead and blindly be the Khayes Character Protecter.

Man....your schedule must be full bring so high and mighty.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I wasn't 'ripping' on him only making an attempt at a little comedy based on his publicly stated desires. Never once did he say because of x health of y family member is why I want to stay around home. So just relax there on acting like some protector of the Vesey character. Noble of you, but very ill advised as you are making assumptions on me on the very same basis you are flaming me.

Khayes is a tool from what I have been told by people that, you know, went to school with him. How have you discovered him to be a great guy? Again, you are doing the same to me you are flaming me for. But go ahead and blindly be the Khayes Character Protecter.

Well, Hayes is a different story. He started the war against us and the Blackhawks and he's still at it. He's fair game.

Lay off of Vesey though. He made a decision that he felt was best for him. I have no problem with that.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Nothing against Jimmy Vesey, but Hayes (both of them) and that entire former Rockford clique seem like tools.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I don't think he was making any assumptions on you, he was simply responding to what you wrote. From what you wrote, it seemed very clear you were ripping Vesey for being a soft "momma's boy" who lacks character. Whether it was a joke, it still came off as serious based on how you wrote it.

EMC is simply saying you don't know the circumstances behind Vesey wanting to be closer to home, and frankly none of us need to know the reason behind that personal decision, but there could be more to it than him just being a "momma's boy".

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I don't think he was making any assumptions on you, he was simply responding to what you wrote. From what you wrote, it seemed very clear you were ripping Vesey for being a soft "momma's boy" who lacks character. Whether it was a joke, it still came off as serious based on how you wrote it.

EMC is simply saying you don't know the circumstances behind Vesey wanting to be closer to home, and frankly none of us need to know the reason behind that personal decision, but there could be more to it than him just being a "momma's boy".

I will have to fact check every post for now on to keep some of these Precious Snowflake posters happy. Not. You guys need to lighten up for ****s sake.

I don't care where Vesey goes because I frankly don't think he would make that big a difference from when I Had seen him against, from an NCAA standpoint, was weak opponents 3/4 the time. Obviously NHL scouts think otherwise. Only one way to find out and that is by watching him in the NHL.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Kevin Hayes to Vesey, "Bro, you really want to go there? Play one bad game and are in Q's dog house? Come here and you're playing all season"

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I will have to fact check every post for now on to keep some of these Precious Snowflake posters happy. Not. You guys need to lighten up for ****s sake.

I don't care where Vesey goes because I frankly don't think he would make that big a difference from when I Had seen him against, from an NCAA standpoint, was weak opponents 3/4 the time. Obviously NHL scouts think otherwise. Only one way to find out and that is by watching him in the NHL.

Wow, is that really necessary dude?

Can't you have a normal, non-defensive, conversation?

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Well, Hayes is a different story. He started the war against us and the Blackhawks and he's still at it. He's fair game.

Lay off of Vesey though. He made a decision that he felt was best for him. I have no problem with that.

I agree with Vesey, but I don't think Kevin Hayes deserves any hatred either. He did the same thing Vesey did, and it was both within their rights according to the CBA.

As a Hawks fan does it suck losing K. Hayes? Yes. But it doesn't make him a bad kid. The Hawks organization isn't going to get it's way all the time.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Did we all want Vesey? 100% yes because he is a free asset and has the potential to help the Hawks. He could have been a 35-45 point player for the Hawks.

Is it the end of the world that we did not get him? No.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
"Started a war with us"?

QyZso.gif

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah I feel like he probably just ****ed himself out of a lot of money in order to play with KHayes.

Don't get me wrong, I get playing with a friend(s) as being a factor to play somewhere, but I think it's silly if that's a major driving factor given all other things to take into consideration with such a major career decision. That's not me talking as a fan, it's talking from the hypothetical shoes of someone who is advising him and/or a hockey ops perspective looking at the hockey picture of it all.

I don't begrudge him choosing a different team but I do question the motive of it given what he said publicly. It's his life and career, not mine, just my thoughts on it. It's a little silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00