Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What every other year? He had .907 in 56 games and .918 in 26 games the year before that. Maybe he'll be like Mason who had a .916 his first year and never equalled that for years.

ALL his other years of goaltending dating back to junior. Last year was a one off IMO.

Helly stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=144065

Carey Price had a .920 his first year followed by .905 and .912. See below how long it took him.
Price stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72046

I'm not saying he will be Price but man people are quick to write someone off after a tough season as a rookie starter. This last year was not the norm, he will be better and the numbers agree with me. He's not Pavs folks. He could be Mason, he could be Price. All I'm saying is I believe in this kid and he will be a quality starter.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm concerned because what if Hellebuyck has another mediocre year, now his minimum qualifying offer is $2.25m next summer. I would've thought 1.2-1.4 would be more prudent.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm concerned because what if Hellebuyck has another mediocre year, now his minimum qualifying offer is $2.25m next summer. I would've thought 1.2-1.4 would be more prudent.

If he's bad you elect team arbitration and have the arbitrator knock the deal down.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011

if he has another mediocre season its time for the Jets to dump him. No need to invest in a dime a dozen goalie.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
The idea that Comrie is viewed as the Jets goalie of the future won't seem to die, even though he's been nothing more than a mediocre AHL netminder. I almost have to wonder if there may be some truth to it.

I think TNSE wants to keep him in the picture so they continue to receive discounted pricing on office furniture from The Brick. :laugh:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Helly interview:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/hellebuyck-training-improving-control-speed-1.812600

Winnipeg Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck joins the Afternoon Drive show to discuss signing a one-year contract extension, changing his off-season training regimen to improve his on-ice game, and reflecting on what he learned being the primary Jets goaltender.

So it sounds like he's not working with a goaltender coach per se this summer, but is doing some work on strength and nutrition that he says has made him faster and more efficient. Sounds like he's happy to have Mason around to learn from.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm extremely curious about how this could mean the Jets and Hellebuyck have decided they're done with each other. I've heard the idea that the Jets are tiring of Hellebuyck elsewhere on this board, and it sounds more to me as if someone is reading what's inside those entrails.

Overpaying for a one year contract indicates the opposite intent. If the team had arbitrated this, they would have paid less. The history of those arbitration processes indicates that players who go through that process have limited careers with the teams that go through arbitration with them. My opinion is that the Jets avoided this, and paid the player generously to retain a good long term relationship with their player. Why give away more money than otherwise necessary???

I think it is accurate for you to use the term "hope" in association with Comrie. I would be shocked if any professional assessment of his future would rise beyond the term "hope" to any level of "expectation".

I agree with your assessment of Comrie. My concern is that the Jets, given their history of poor goalie evaluations, have high hopes for him.

And yes, there could be a desire to maintain a good long term relationship with Bucky, should the need for that materialize. It never hurts to hedge your bets. I just don't think that will be the eventual outcome.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Agree With This Post !!!

The point I was arguing is the idea of a "Winnipeg tax". A "Winnipeg tax" implies that Winnipeg will have to overpay for each and every player they wish to bring in. I don't buy it, I don't buy that for a second. There are certainly a multitude of reasons why players choose what they do, but looking back on history we can clearly see that in general winning organizations have the easiest time recruiting players, losing teams have the toughest. This is independent of city factors, look at teams like Detroit for example. And Winnipeg has the sorriest of sorriest excuses of a track record of the franchise history, that's the tax they are paying, "A Loser Tax" not a "Winnipeg tax" right now.

I totally agree with this post, and if the money is the same in Winnipeg, and management is good, as well as coaching, you will see a lot of players wanting to play in Winnipeg. It's a smaller city, where hockey is big, and a lot of European players from smaller cities would feel very comfortable here. ( that's why Toby Enstrom wants to stay)
If I was a player, I'd much rather play in the Peg, than in Detroit, which in my view is a scary city to live in, with tons of crime, as well as some other American cities.

The weather being cold is no big deal !!! don't forget the Jets are on the road for 1/2 the year, so they get a break. Toronto and Montreal, and Minnesota, are not exactly "tropical destinations." They have no problem or reputation for having difficulty attracting players.

The Jets have had a reputation in the past for players not wanting to come here, and it was because of club management. Lot of NHL players are taking note of the excellent job the Jet's have done recruiting and building a great team, and will want to come here. Same goes for Edmonton- if they keep winning, and making deep playoff runs, players will want to go there, as they will with Winnipeg.

We here in Winnipeg, should not sell our city short in this respect- if you have a "winning team" - players will want to come here, providing pay, and salaries are competitive -I have no doubt.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I totally agree with this post, and if the money is the same in Winnipeg, and management is good, as well as coaching, you will see a lot of players wanting to play in Winnipeg. It's a smaller city, where hockey is big, and a lot of European players from smaller cities would feel very comfortable here. ( that's why Toby Enstrom wants to stay)
If I was a player, I'd much rather play in the Peg, than in Detroit, which in my view is a scary city to live in, with tons of crime, as well as some other American cities.

The weather being cold is no big deal !!! don't forget the Jets are on the road for 1/2 the year, so they get a break. Toronto and Montreal, and Minnesota, are not exactly "tropical destinations." They have no problem or reputation for having difficulty attracting players.

The Jets have had a reputation in the past for players not wanting to come here, and it was because of club management. Lot of NHL players are taking note of the excellent job the Jet's have done recruiting and building a great team, and will want to come here. Same goes for Edmonton- if they keep winning, and making deep playoff runs, players will want to go there, as they will with Winnipeg.

We here in Winnipeg, should not sell our city short in this respect- if you have a "winning team" - players will want to come here, providing pay, and salaries are competitive -I have no doubt.

Agreed.

For any player who has something specific against a city there are probably 5 who don't. It sucks when that one player is the one you would actually want (or one you have drafted already), but I think such issue are really not quite as big as they are made out to be.

A winning culture will help shape people's perception towards the positive.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I don't know why a player would even play in California ... the taxes are a killer. Example Derek Carr saves/makes $1.2 million more when the Raiders move from Oakland to Vegas and that's just his salary the cost of living in CA is crazy ... taxes taxes taxes.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I liked the substance of the interview with Hellebuyck. When we extended Pavs he seemed to dither away 3 seasons before he realized he should maybe get in shape, drop some weight in the off season, and be a committed professional. Hellebuyck has the first season of his young career where it doesn't go as planned and changes his strength coach, nutritionist, and to a lesser extent his agent. He realized he needed to get his fitness and quickness to the next level so he amp'd it all up.

I have no idea how the season will go for him because he is a goalie but I like that he realized he needs to get better, has a plan, and is taking actions towards that end. How refreshing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I liked the substance of the interview with Hellebuyck. When we extended Pavs he seemed to dither away 3 seasons before he realized he should maybe get in shape, drop some weight in the off season, and be a committed professional. Hellebuyck has the first season of his young career where it doesn't go as planned and changes his strength coach, nutritionist, and to a lesser extent his agent. He realized he needed to get his fitness and quickness to the next level so he amp'd it all up.

I have no idea how the season will go for him because he is a goalie but I like that he realized he needs to get better, has a plan, and is taking actions towards that end. How refreshing.

I liked the interview as a whole but was a little concerned when he mentioned he wasn't working on new techniques (I.e glove hand). Added quickness and better positioning will help no doubt but if he still has fatal flaws that he doesn't address he won't take that next step imo.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Good interview .
Positive attitude .
It will be awesome if we have 2 goalies that can play well for an entire season.
That is something we have not had yet.
Helle has to make the most of any starts he gets.
The money says we know you have potential.
The term says now go prove it.
He may not get as many shots at starting as he would like but he's got to maximize whatever he gets

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I liked the interview as a whole but was a little concerned when he mentioned he wasn't working on new techniques (I.e glove hand). Added quickness and better positioning will help no doubt but if he still has fatal flaws that he doesn't address he won't take that next step imo.

Its a good point. Did you ever read the interview in Goal magazine where he explained his glove hand positioning?

http://ingoalmag.com/technique/22373/

Seems like glove positioning of both lower and further forward is by design and there is some new school of thought on it.

Scrivens points out the logic that when a goaltender closes down on a puck, they have gravity on their side. It’s a lot easier to do that than raise the glove hand to catch up to a rising shot:

“Where does the puck come from? The puck comes up from the ice, so the angle it comes at is up so I want to face as much of the glove as possible perpendicular to that path. And then the other thing I was going with, is what’s harder to do – because mostly every goalie is dropping while they are making saves – so what’s harder to do, lift a limb back up against the momentum of your body, or start with the arm up top and keep it there? So you have gravity and momentum working with you more. Again so much of it is trial and error, and everybody has their own way of doing things. But I found that works for me.â€

That philosophy has definitely taken off in recent years, and the newest, youngest crop of goaltenders arriving on the scene know all about it.

By the way I am not saying this is correct by any means what I am saying is it is intentional.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its a good point. Did you ever read the interview in Goal magazine where he explained his glove hand positioning?

Seems like glove positioning of both lower and further forward is by design and there is some new school of thought on it.

By the way I am not saying this is correct by any means what I am saying is it is intentional.

Yeah Unholy Goalie posted a bunch about how he tries to project with his glove. He also points out that it's a technique that doesn't work as well at the NHL level as shooters can pick that spot as we saw all of last season. If he's going I try to project again he will get victimized in that spot again as shooters will now have the nook on him.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good interview .
Positive attitude .
It will be awesome if we have 2 goalies that can play well for an entire season.
That is something we have not had yet.
Helle has to make the most of any starts he gets.
The money says we know you have potential.
The term says now go prove it.
He may not get as many shots at starting as he would like but he's got to maximize whatever he gets

Well in fairness we had it "one season" here is a brief history of futility:

Winnipeg Jets Team save %

16-17 .900
15-16 .903
14-15 .913* (only playoff appearance)
13-14 .907
12-13 .901
11-12 .902
10-11 .901 (Atlanta Thrashers)

That is a miserable god forsake legacy of the Pavs era and the mess that "was" our goaltending.

Now for the first time 7 seasons we are starting the year out with a proven NHL starter and a back up with high pedigree at lower levels. If you guys don't mind dropping to your knees and saying a prayer to the hockey gods to have mercy on our soul that might help.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah Unholy Goalie posted a bunch about how he tries to project with his glove. He also points out that it's a technique that doesn't work as well at the NHL level as shooters can pick that spot as we saw all of last season. If he's going I try to project again he will get victimized in that spot again as shooters will now have the nook on him.

Yea I am not sold either, he seems a bit overconfident with the technique. What I do like is he is very driven and wants to get better. If it doesn't work for him this season he will either either adapt or die. Jimmy Howard and Sergie Bobrovsky are two examples of goalies who were really driven and made major overhauls to their technique over the years. Time will tell with Hellebuyck.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Haven't seen this discussed yet. His deal includes a signing bonus. These are pretty rare for RFA to be contracts because it makes their QO lower. It was likely the Jets who wanted that.

250k (SB) 2M (salary)

This makes his QO $2M at the end of the deal. So he's basically guaranteed a 2 yr deal worth $4.25M (2.125M AAV)

I was predicting a 2 yr deal with around $2M AAV. The way his contract is structured
I don't really think of it as an overpayment.

If Helle somehow plays as the #1 and plays well there's a chance he will cost more than his QO but then he will have earned it. If he plays as the backup I doubt he gets more than his QO.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Sorry, I read the post wrong initially, thought you were saying the opposite. I'm a huge fan of this technique, it's the way I always played and makes the most sense to me. I think Hellys bigger issue was confidence, I've said this before but when you lose that and second guess yourself that split second in the NHL will cost you. I've played with AHL and NHL guys and the biggest difference is shot placement. AHL guys just don't have the same accuracy and release, NHL shooters are so good, you need to be confident and on top of your game to succeed at that last level. Hellys glove positioning is not the problem. It was confidence. A goalie coach should be able to help a bit with confidence but it didn't happen last year.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't know why a player would even play in California ... the taxes are a killer. Example Derek Carr saves/makes $1.2 million more when the Raiders move from Oakland to Vegas and that's just his salary the cost of living in CA is crazy ... taxes taxes taxes.
Don't forget we are talking about young guys here , i think if it was me at 23 , 24 , ect and a multi millionaire i would rather play in LA than Winnipeg . And don't forget about the say the date and wives have as well. I think if the dates and wives had their choice , they would rather shop in Beverley Hills than Kildonan place :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad