Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am ok with this. I like Helly but want our org to be more mercenary with filling the goalie positions. Connor needs to step up this season and be part of the solution if not then he will have failed two years in a row and he may need to go. I for one and done ****ing around in net. If he succeeds even better.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
$2.75 for Elliot. $4.1 for Mason. It adds up fast.

Not this year it doesn't. So for me: meh.

I am ok with this. I like Helly but want our org to be more mercenary with filling the goalie position. Connor needs to step up this season and be part of the solution if not then he will have failed two years in a row and he may need to go. I for one and done ****ing around in net.

Yep. 1 year deal to get him to show he's the goalie that many of us think he is. If not, jettison him, and move on next year.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Meh. It's a 1 year deal, and the Jets aren't in cap trouble at the moment.

but it sets up a minimum value for his next contract. I don't like people saying that we have lots of cap space when we overpay on various contracts; it all adds up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
but it sets up a minimum value for his next contract. I don't like people saying that we have lots of cap space when we overpay on various contracts; it all adds up.

If he has another bad year the Jets can choose not to offer him a QO and let him walk. Or they can take him to arbitration to get that amount lowered so yes it's not that big of a deal.

I'm the grand scheme of things the $6.8 million we are spending really just puts us around the median and average for the league with regards to the amount spent by team on that position. So if we get league average tending we will have received decent value.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yessir, could come really close to the cap this season. Which I find funny because I remember hearing that the Jets would never be a cap team, and that their internal budget would not allow it. :laugh:

Ya, I guess that was a common sentiment. They'll be a cap team for a while though if they intend to keep this group together.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Does this mean Helle can sign is qaifying offers the next few years to keep getting 2.25 million even if he does poorly? Or the Jets would have to let him go ufa if they want to sign him for less?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't expect him to get quite that much in a one year deal. Time to see how he does next season.

I expected less $$$ and 2 years.

I can see either or both going for 1 year but this is another overpay.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

^This.
Overpay here, overpay there. Sign borderline AHL players to 1 way, NHL contracts. It adds up to a lot.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That doesn't take into account Helle's contract, if it's the numbers I was looking at on CapFriendly. His contract wasn't listed yet.

Helle was included in that total.

23 roster positions filled. Some of them are a little strange. Melchiori is listed on the roster but Morrissey is not. Both Tanev and Sgarbossa are included in the 13 forwards listed.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We are in for a ****ing treat next summer. Someone has to go.

I have looked at the numbers and I think they can afford to keep it all together this year and next but the following year there will have to be some hard choices.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Seems like we are paying for potential instead of past performance again, but at least this contract is only for 1 year.... unlike some other goalie we signed to a over-priced multi-year contract in 2011 all based on potential.

If Helly wants another contract after this he needs to step up and earn it.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Does this mean Helle can sign is qaifying offers the next few years to keep getting 2.25 million even if he does poorly? Or the Jets would have to let him go ufa if they want to sign him for less?

Correct. However one of two things happen

1) He has a good year, in which case paying him at least 2.25 million next year is not a big deal.

2) He has a bad year, in which case, why would we want to keep him? At that point they likely let him walk as a UFA. They may even sign him for less in that case as I doubt anyone else would pay 2.25 million for a goalie with a mediocre and one bad year.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
^This.
Overpay here, overpay there. Sign borderline AHL players to 1 way, NHL contracts. It adds up to a lot.

First, signing borderline AHL players to one way deals only matters for cap purposes if the deal is worth more than 1.025 million/year. If they are in the AHL it doesn't count against the cap.

Second, 2.25 million for last year's starter that most people expect to split starts is hardly an overpay. Our goalies will make 6.35 combined against the cap. I'm sure that is one of the smallest in the NHL, and both are off the book after next year when the cap crunch starts.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
^This.

LOL..

You do realize that the Jets will have to overpay in many cases being in a market players do not want to be in, and the low Canadian dollar. The Jets have done a good job of spending wisely.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
First, signing borderline AHL players to one way deals only matters for cap purposes if the deal is worth more than 1.025 million/year. If they are in the AHL it doesn't count against the cap.

Second, 2.25 million for last year's starter that most people expect to split starts is hardly an overpay. Our goalies will make 6.35 combined against the cap. I'm sure that is one of the smallest in the NHL, and both are off the book after next year when the cap crunch starts.

The average team spends around $6.5 million on goaltending so we are essentially spending what most teams do on that position.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
LOL..

You do realize that the Jets will have to overpay in many cases being in a market players do not want to be in, and the low Canadian dollar. The Jets have done a good job of spending wisely.

actually the low Canadian dollar helps

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
LOL..

First, explain to me how the low canadian dollar effects anything? Players all get paid in USD. If anything that means players will have more money during season or all the time if they live in Canada.

Second, the "Winnipeg Tax" is the most overblown thing IMO. Who really wants to live in Detroit of all places? No one. Yet they got many good deals because they had good teams. Winnipeg is paying a bad team tax and have since they returned. This will change drastically if they ever become a good team.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
LOL..

Wow I'm getting tired of that meme. Not every player is a prima donna needing to play in LA to satiate their ego.

m.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow I'm getting tired of that meme. Not every player is a prima donna needing to play in LA to satiate their ego.

m.

Even LA, they used to have to always overpay for players. Why? Because they were a bad team! The biggest draw for players always has been and always will be well run winning organizations. The rest is secondary.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00