Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Sorry, I read the post wrong initially, thought you were saying the opposite. I'm a huge fan of this technique, it's the way I always played and makes the most sense to me. I think Hellys bigger issue was confidence, I've said this before but when you lose that and second guess yourself that split second in the NHL will cost you. I've played with AHL and NHL guys and the biggest difference is shot placement. AHL guys just don't have the same accuracy and release, NHL shooters are so good, you need to be confident and on top of your game to succeed at that last level. Hellys glove positioning is not the problem. It was confidence. A goalie coach should be able to help a bit with confidence but it didn't happen last year.

I remain unconvinced that Maurice's yanking of him did anything but hurt him. I certainly can see the other side of the argument very easily but as you point out confidence is everything. Too soon too many times.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sorry, I read the post wrong initially, thought you were saying the opposite. I'm a huge fan of this technique, it's the way I always played and makes the most sense to me. I think Hellys bigger issue was confidence, I've said this before but when you lose that and second guess yourself that split second in the NHL will cost you. I've played with AHL and NHL guys and the biggest difference is shot placement. AHL guys just don't have the same accuracy and release, NHL shooters are so good, you need to be confident and on top of your game to succeed at that last level. Hellys glove positioning is not the problem. It was confidence. A goalie coach should be able to help a bit with confidence but it didn't happen last year.

He seemed to lose his confidence because he got victimized in that same spot a bunch earlier on. Not saying that more confidence won't help but how do you think it will effect him if shooters keep picking him apart above his glove? Won't that erode his confidence again?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I totally agree with this post, and if the money is the same in Winnipeg, and management is good, as well as coaching, you will see a lot of players wanting to play in Winnipeg. It's a smaller city, where hockey is big, and a lot of European players from smaller cities would feel very comfortable here. ( that's why Toby Enstrom wants to stay)
If I was a player, I'd much rather play in the Peg, than in Detroit, which in my view is a scary city to live in, with tons of crime, as well as some other American cities.

The weather being cold is no big deal !!! don't forget the Jets are on the road for 1/2 the year, so they get a break. Toronto and Montreal, and Minnesota, are not exactly "tropical destinations." They have no problem or reputation for having difficulty attracting players.

The Jets have had a reputation in the past for players not wanting to come here, and it was because of club management. Lot of NHL players are taking note of the excellent job the Jet's have done recruiting and building a great team, and will want to come here. Same goes for Edmonton- if they keep winning, and making deep playoff runs, players will want to go there, as they will with Winnipeg.

We here in Winnipeg, should not sell our city short in this respect- if you have a "winning team" - players will want to come here, providing pay, and salaries are competitive -I have no doubt.

There can be multiple contributing factors to one issue. Not winning is a factor, but so is the fact that it's Winnipeg and some people would just rather not live here. Being gone half the season doesn't really matter much when you have a family that has to be here the whole season.

This isn't to say that each and every player will have to be overpaid to come here, but on average there's no doubt in my mind that we'll have to pay more to get the same player than say, Tampa Bay.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He seemed to lose his confidence because he got victimized in that same spot a bunch earlier on. Not saying that more confidence won't help but how do you think it will effect him if shooters keep picking him apart above his glove? Won't that erode his confidence again?

I don't think it will be an issue going forward, I don't think they will pick him apart. I do feel his movement is good for a big goalie so playing a touch higher in his crease will help too, again that's a confidence thing for me.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

Your so very right here - "confidence" is what Helly lacks, and it can only be aquired thru success. You can train a goalie to cover angles better etc. - but I just don't believe you can teach him- quicker reflexes. It's something you have - or you don't. I question whether Helly has what it takes. I think in that department Hutch is better, but he falls apart very quickly and loses confidence as well. We'll see over the next year or so ???

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think it will be an issue going forward, I don't think they will pick him apart. I do feel his movement is good for a big goalie so playing a touch higher in his crease will help too, again that's a confidence thing for me.

Well I hope so. I don't mind his general style myself but the glove was a red flag for me last season, hopefully the improvement in angles and confidence mitigates it a bit.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well I hope so. I don't mind his general style myself but the glove was a red flag for me last season, hopefully the improvement in angles and confidence mitigates it a bit.

Look I could be wrong but I'm still very confident in Helly. I just wish they would change goalie coach as they can be so good for confidence. When I found out Flaherty was trying to change his technique mid season I knew he would be second guessing himself. Their job is too I still confidence in the designed drills and make small adjustments not larger ones in season. Also Helly was learning what it took last year at the top level, NHL players are so patient they will out smart you, Helly will learn and be better this year IMO.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Look I could be wrong but I'm still very confident in Helly. I just wish they would change goalie coach as they can be so good for confidence. When I found out Flaherty was trying to change his technique mid season I knew he would be second guessing himself. Their job is too I still confidence in the the designed drills and make small adjustments not larger ones in season.

No disagreements on any of your points. I think Wade should be gone as well and I still have a lot of faith in Helle to become a solid number 1 goalie. I just figured if you where going to correct a major flaw the off-season would be the time to do it. But hey you could be bang on and all he needs to do is be in better position and move quicker and economically to cover those holes.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There can be multiple contributing factors to one issue. Not winning is a factor, but so is the fact that it's Winnipeg and some people would just rather not live here. Being gone half the season doesn't really matter much when you have a family that has to be here the whole season.

This isn't to say that each and every player will have to be overpaid to come here, but on average there's no doubt in my mind that we'll have to pay more to get the same player than say, Tampa Bay.

[mod]

Might be best to create a separate thread for discussion of RFA/UFA issues with the city - it's taking this thread OT. As a separate thread, people can ignore it if they choose as well. :nod:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Look I could be wrong but I'm still very confident in Helly. I just wish they would change goalie coach as they can be so good for confidence. When I found out Flaherty was trying to change his technique mid season I knew he would be second guessing himself. Their job is too I still confidence in the designed drills and make small adjustments not larger ones in season. Also Helly was learning what it took last year at the top level, NHL players are so patient they will out smart you, Helly will learn and be better this year IMO.

If they're gonna lose their job, think they do it together

So not until Maurice is gone

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
On Monday, the Winnipeg Jets announced that they avoided arbitration with goaltender Connor Hellebuyck and signed him to a one year contract. Hellebuyck’s contract is worth $2.25 million, but perhaps, has more value to it than just the money; this contract serves as an opportunity for the 24-year-old goaltender to cement himself in the Jets lineup.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/25/connor-hellebuyck-opportunity/

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
On Monday, the Winnipeg Jets announced that they avoided arbitration with goaltender Connor Hellebuyck and signed him to a one year contract. Hellebuyck’s contract is worth $2.25 million, but perhaps, has more value to it than just the money; this contract serves as an opportunity for the 24-year-old goaltender to cement himself in the Jets lineup.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/25/connor-hellebuyck-opportunity/

Article writer needs to do more research. Like, 5 minutes instead of 0 minutes.

1. Mason wasn't informed he would be bought out by the Flyers. He was a UFA on July 1st.

2. Mason isn't filling Pavelec's absence. Pavelec was our 3rd string goalie last season. Pavelec is irrelevant to this discussion.

3. They're not paying Hellebuyck $2.25M this upcoming season to be their third string goalie. A camp battle between Hutchinson and Hellebuyck for the backup spot is a silly notion.

I'm not sure why anyone should be giving clicks to such a lazy, shoddy article.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Article writer needs to do more research. Like, 5 minutes instead of 0 minutes.

1. Mason wasn't informed he would be bought out by the Flyers. He was a UFA on July 1st.

2. Mason isn't filling Pavelec's absence. Pavelec was our 3rd string goalie last season. Pavelec is irrelevant to this discussion.

3. They're not paying Hellebuyck $2.25M this upcoming season to be their third string goalie. A camp battle between Hutchinson and Hellebuyck for the backup spot is a silly notion.

I'm not sure why anyone should be giving clicks to such a lazy, shoddy article.

So many of them are. I really feel HF Jets could write some great things. We should start our own site as we have very knowledgable posters. But there needs to be an interview process. I put surixon in charge :D

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Let me know when the Jets get a capable one...

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
If you lose a game, you're not starting the next one.

That method killed Helle last year, and Mason suffered from that as well. Will it change this season? Highly doubt it.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If you lose a game, you're not starting the next one.

That method killed Helle last year, and Mason suffered from that as well. Will it change this season? Highly doubt it.

That wasn't the philosophy last year. As a matter of fact maurice stated that he would change goalies even after a win and did.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Was away for a bit, and happy to see this news.

I like the term from a development perspective, and I can live with the salary.

I really really hope Helle takes this year to work seriously on his game. Last year wasn't a fluke, in the sense that there will be some down years as a goalie makes the transition to the NHL. Someone brought up Price earlier in the thread, and what makes the difference between a Price-like goalie and a bust is technical/physical/mental improvement when those low .900 seasons happen. Helle's job this season is not to try and outplay Mason, but rather to outplay his own shortcomings. I'm not convinced that Helle's attitude about the whole thing has improved, and I sure don't have confidence in Flaherty, but I'm hopeful that the clear role of backup will give him the time and space to make strides if he can manage to use it properly.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Was away for a bit, and happy to see this news.

I like the term from a development perspective, and I can live with the salary.

I really really hope Helle takes this year to work seriously on his game. Last year wasn't a fluke, in the sense that there will be some down years as a goalie makes the transition to the NHL. Someone brought up Price earlier in the thread, and what makes the difference between a Price-like goalie and a bust is technical/physical/mental improvement when those low .900 seasons happen. Helle's job this season is not to try and outplay Mason, but rather to outplay his own shortcomings. I'm not convinced that Helle's attitude about the whole thing has improved, and I sure don't have confidence in Flaherty, but I'm hopeful that the clear role of backup will give him the time and space to make strides if he can manage to use it properly.

The game is 80% mental when you play between the pipes. Confidence and learning from last year is most important. Shooters had book on him from year before and adjusted, now it's his turn and he will take the next step.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Something that was brought up in TSN discussions with a former goalie yesterday (can't recall if it was Brodeur or Biron) was that the Jets will likely need to make a decision on who to keep between Mason, Helle or Comrie after this year. At that point they claimed that Comrie will no longer be waiver exempt, and they would certainly not want to expose him to waivers.

So what do the Jets do if all 3 have decent years? Or alternatively, do they give up on whoever of the three has an off year trading them for pennies on the dollar? Just can't see the Jets giving up on Helle unless he has an atrocious year, my bet is that they give up on Mason readily if he is subpar to Helle; if its a close battle there, I can see Comrie to be the most likely of the 3 to be traded

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Something that was brought up in TSN discussions with a former goalie yesterday (can't recall if it was Brodeur or Biron) was that the Jets will likely need to make a decision on who to keep between Mason, Helle or Comrie after this year. At that point they claimed that Comrie will no longer be waiver exempt, and they would certainly not want to expose him to waivers.

So what do the Jets do if all 3 have decent years? Or alternatively, do they give up on whoever of the three has an off year trading them for pennies on the dollar? Just can't see the Jets giving up on Helle unless he has an atrocious year, my bet is that they give up on Mason readily if he is subpar to Helle; if its a close battle there, I can see Comrie to be the most likely of the 3 to be traded

Or keep all three. I can't see Comrie being claimed on waivers at end of camp to start next season, he will clear and spend another year in AHL, after that year decision becomes much clearer. I just don't think he'll be NHL ready yet where a team claims him to keep him on their roster full time, that rarely happens with tendies at end of training camp.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Or keep all three. I can't see Comrie being claimed on waivers at end of camp to start next season, he will clear and spend another year in AHL, after that year decision becomes much clearer. I just don't think he'll be NHL ready yet where a team claims him to keep him on their roster full time, that rarely happens with tendies at end of training camp.

If Comrie has a decent year in the AHL this year, it would be an awfully big risk to take and one that I don't see the Jets taking a chance on. Yes I know that tenders don't too often get scooped off of waivers, but they've invested a fair bit into him at this point & I do see a lot of potential in Comrie (this year will tell us a lot I'm sure)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If Comrie has a decent year in the AHL this year, it would be an awfully big risk to take and one that I don't see the Jets taking a chance on. Yes I know that tenders don't too often get scooped off of waivers, but they've invested a fair bit into him at this point & I do see a lot of potential in Comrie (this year will tell us a lot I'm sure)

Was he not waiver eligible 2019-20?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Was he not waiver eligible 2019-20?

sure, but that would require looking up facts

GOALIES
Age|Years from Signing– NHL |NHL Games Played
18 | 6 | 80
19 | 5 | 80
20 | 4 | 80
21 | 4 | 60
22 | 4 | 60
23 | 3 | 60
24 | 2 | 60
25+ | 1 |
per CBA

or just look at capfriendly...

(Comrie signed his ELC December 2013, being "18 years old" as per the CBA defining "age" as the age of the player in September of the same year)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
sure, but that would require looking up facts

GOALIES
Age|Years from Signing– NHL |NHL Games Played
18 | 6 | 80
19 | 5 | 80
20 | 4 | 80
21 | 4 | 60
22 | 4 | 60
23 | 3 | 60
24 | 2 | 60
25+ | 1 |
per CBA

or just look at capfriendly...

(Comrie signed his ELC December 2013, being "18 years old" as per the CBA defining "age" as the age of the player in September of the same year)

I just did, right here :popcorn:
Thx for the info. So TSN guys kinda talking outve their butt then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad