Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
How much does winning the Vezina boost his value? He really should win it. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't though.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I mean, this is the Helley thread but, if we can sign Enstrom to 1.5 million for 1 or 2 years why wouldn't we? It's not like cap space counts when a player is injured.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
After all the years of goaltending being our weak link , i think Chevy signs Helly to a pretty big contract . Also what is Helly worth if we somehow , someway , win the Cup ? I think the contract talks will start at 5 million a year .

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
After all the years of goaltending being our weak link , i think Chevy signs Helly to a pretty big contract . Also what is Helly worth if we somehow , someway , win the Cup ? I think the contract talks will start at 5 million a year .

id go with 5 million and nothing higher
goalies are so streaky they shouldn't be getting paid any higher under a salary cap
one year they vezina style. the next year they're average at best

pretty ridiculous Montreal gave Carey price 10 million

id love for everyone to get paid, but who works under a salary cap
and last time i checked a dynasty is the ultimate goal
and you'll never get there giving everyone max pay

if a player wants more money start promoting themselves more

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I mean, this is the Helley thread but, if we can sign Enstrom to 1.5 million for 1 or 2 years why wouldn't we? It's not like cap space counts when a player is injured.

Actually it does. And Enstrom in fact not even one of our more injury prone D. He averages more games per year than both Trouba and Myers over their respective careers.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wait what? When a player is on IR does their space not get free?

No. Whether on IR or LTIR the cap space of injured players still counts against the cap. On LTIR if a team is approaching the cap the team may exceed the cap with replacement player by the amount that the player puts them over. However on regular IR no such forgiveness is given.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
ah yes there is cap relief if you are up against the cap, its complicated but there is cap relief.

that's LTIR exception. That can only be used if a player is out for at least 24 days and 10 games. It's also technically not relief, but extra space as Holden pointed out. And it really doesn't mash well with ELC bonuses.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Actually it does. And Enstrom in fact not even one of our more injury prone D. He averages more games per year than both Trouba and Myers over their respective careers.

Not surprising since Myers missed an entire year. But for Trouba this is counting the holdout, right?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Not surprising since Myers missed an entire year. But for Trouba this is counting the holdout, right?

Nope. Even ignoring that over his career Enstrom has a higher games per year than Trouba. Over the past five years Trouba has a slightly higher games per year but not by that much.

Reactions: Jack722

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck had a great year, but he doesn't beat Rinne for the Vezina. He's 3rd in SV%, 2nd in GAA, T-1 in Winz (but he's 2nd to Rinne in wins per start, 3rd in wins per appearance). The Jets were statistically a more defensive team than the Preds too - so Rinne arguably had the tougher assignment.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Because he isn't leading in any statistical categories apart from wins (he's tied) and wins are a team stat.
It's a team game so every stat is influenced by the team. He's also leading in games played which has him miles ahead of everyone in SA and SV. 2 more wins than Rinne and a better S% and GAA than Vasilevsky.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
Anybody else, while watching the Pitts/Philly highlights, have flashbacks to last summer when we were considering Elliot as a replacement for Helle? Sometimes the Hockey Gods are good! (And Chevy and of course, Helle!)

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Anybody else, while watching the Pitts/Philly highlights, have flashbacks to last summer when we were considering Elliot as a replacement for Helle? Sometimes the Hockey Gods are good! (And Chevy and of course, Helle!)
And some people wanted Darling (including me)
Crow is delicious with BBQ by the way.....

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hellebuyck had a great year, but he doesn't beat Rinne for the Vezina. He's 3rd in SV%, 2nd in GAA, T-1 in Winz (but he's 2nd to Rinne in wins per start, 3rd in wins per appearance). The Jets were statistically a more defensive team than the Preds too - so Rinne arguably had the tougher assignment.

The most important stat in the W/L/OT category is L according to Maurice. Goalies have even less control in OT than the team as a whole does. Helle has a significantly better L/GP ratio than the other leaders. I haven't seen any place where they track regulation-only wins, which I think he also leads the league in (can anyone confirm??). The save percentage is awfully close for the top 3. QS% gives a big edge to Rinne.

A new (to me) stat I came across on hockey reference is GPS - it looks like Helle has a healthy lead in that category as well. Not sure what all goes into it, but it's supposed to track a goalie's share in the points he contributed to his team. Maybe that's the argument for MVP. I'd love to hear @garret9 comment on this.

Of course since it's not a specific stat award like the Rocket, it's hard to know what the voting will be like. How much is influenced by the playoffs?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Win is when GF > GA... goalies impact is (almost exclusively) GA.

GAA measures that GA... goalies impact is (almost exclusively) how many shots they stop relative to how many they receive... in fact GAA is simply shots against per hour multiplied by 1-Sv%.

Sv% is a goalies main impact into wins... now that said, defensive play ALSO impacts save percentage as well... as does randomness of natural variance due to the small sample of goals... the latter is a huge confounding variable in goaltending evaluation...

All other stats are merely manipulations of these three stats or different ways at looking at how a goalie performed in these three. That said, generally Sv%>GAA>record, as while save percentage has confounding variables that is not a goalie's performance, those exist in the other stats as well PLUS other confounding variables...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00