Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just remember of the 8 [poor games by Helle]*, Hutch took all the heat.
At the end if the day I remain totally unconvinced that Helle is any better than Hutch
Very happy to have Mason here.
* Helle pulled

Last edited by a moderator:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think one important aspect of hellebuyck we haven't discussed is how he talks and sounds and even almost (maybe just a little bit) looks like David Byrne.

Seriously he may not "look goalie" but he sure sounds goalie when he talks, loved the interview with hustler the other day.

Having the lead singer of the talking heads as your goalie has to be worth at least a mil :P

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think one important aspect of hellebuyck we haven't discussed is how he talks and sounds and even almost (maybe just a little bit) looks like David Byrne.

Seriously he may not "look goalie" but he sure sounds goalie when he talks, loved the interview with hustler the other day.

Having the lead singer of the talking heads as your goalie has to be worth at least a mil :P

I'd rather have Jack White playing center, thanks. :nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am hoping for the best for Helly but if he doesn't end up above league average this season we may need to move on. I am so done ****ing around in net it's time to step up or make way for the solution.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am hoping for the best for Helly but if he doesn't end up above league average this season we may need to move on. I am so done ****ing around in net it's time to step up or make way for the solution.

The problem is that fixes aren't always easy. As evidenced by the mess in Dallas.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The problem is that fixes aren't always easy. As evidenced by the mess in Dallas.

100% agree but homegrown isn't easy either as evidenced by the mess in Winnipeg. You have to get the hire right but as we saw in Edmonton and Toronto if you do get it right and don't wait around for a savior from within the ranks it can vault a young team into the playoffs. Homegrown is fine but in net it's not necessary. I have just hit the wall on our orgs ability to use patience to find the right fit in net.

We have added Mason and are giving Connor a shot at BU I hope they both work out but if not then we need to react this season just like I believe we have to with the coaching.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This is different

IMG_3415.jpg

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Love Helle's mask.

I don't really expect Mason to be a "mentor" for Helle. That's not his style as a teammate, and I don't even think there's much for Helle to learn from Mason specifically. I'm excited for Mason to bring some above-average goaltending and stability in sv%. Mason is no doubt focused on proving he's a good #1 so he can get to a larger market or playoff contender.

I'm hoping Helle just focuses on developing his own game, uses the extra practice time wisely, and accepts wholeheartedly his role as backup this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
56/59 so far in preseason .949

Small sample but can't complain about how he's played so far.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Helle is good, internally play, and other leagues results. Even his 1st year was good.
Last year was bad, but as a whole team defense was not there.

I'm still hoping price holtby ceiling reach
but I'll be happy with top 10p during his prime years.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Helle is good, internally play, and other leagues results. Even his 1st year was good.
Last year was bad, but as a whole team defense was not there.

I'm still hoping price holtby ceiling reach
but I'll be happy with top 10p during his prime years.

No chance Helle will ever be anywhere close to Price. Doesnt have the athleticism, quickness and tenacity to ever be an elite goalie. I'm not sure where all this wishful thinking comes from.

Its one thing to think a player like Laine will be an elite forward because he has the raw talent and skillset to reach that potential. I have yet to see a single argument for Helle fans about what exactly he brings to the table to suggest he has elite potential. All I hear about are meaningless minor league stats. Helle will be a backup in the league for a few years and then off to Europe he goes. Thank God Chevy signed Mason.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
No chance Helle will ever be anywhere close to Price. Doesnt have the athleticism, quickness and tenacity to ever be an elite goalie. I'm not sure where all this wishful thinking comes from.

Its one thing to think a player like Laine will be an elite forward because he has the raw talent and skillset to reach that potential. I have yet to see a single argument for Helle fans about what exactly he brings to the table to suggest he has elite potential. All I hear about are meaningless minor league stats. Helle will be a backup in the league for a few years and then off to Europe he goes. Thank God Chevy signed Mason.

Wow, I can't believe this guy is a Jets fan. I would say some other things, but I'll remain civil.

Price's strengths are not his athleticism or quickness. Price has great hockey IQ, which allows him to see and process the game at a high level. He's able to play a calm and economical game because he's a step ahead of what's unfolding in front of him.

The reason why Hellebuyck gets these comparisons to Price is because he also plays a calm and economical game. I don't believe Hellebuck has the mental makeup as Price, thus a Price upside is unlikely, but he is still very young in terms of development years. He is still just 24. Young goalies performing well in the NHL are an exception, not the rule.

Do you know what most goalies were doing at 23? Playing in the AHL, continuing to hone their craft. On top of that, many goalies regress in play during their second year. Price, Bobrovsky, Crawford, Holtby, the list goes on...

Price is an ambitious comparison, but style wise, he also compares to guys like Talbot, Jones...and I see no reason why he can't get there.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Since this is the most recent Helle thread...

Very much enjoyed watching Helle over the last two games. His playing style is back to what it was in minor leagues in that he's gone "quiet" again. Very stable in the crease, lateral movement is only as much as needed; no flopping. Square to the shot as much as he can, I think he improved his quickness a bit as well. Clearly seems to have done some work in the off-season to improve on various facets of his game and flush the Flaherty out of his system.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Since this is the most recent Helle thread...

Very much enjoyed watching Helle over the last two games. His playing style is back to what it was in minor leagues in that he's gone "quiet" again. Very stable in the crease, lateral movement is only as much as needed; no flopping. Square to the shot as much as he can, I think he improved his quickness a bit as well. Clearly seems to have done some work in the off-season to improve on various facets of his game and flush the Flaherty out of his system.
I think Ferraro mentioned last night that Helle worked with the same guy who turned Dubnyk's career around. I agree with you - last year he lost that calm, and was flopping about like a previous goalie.

This significant change for the better after a summer away from Flaherty strongly adds to the argument that he's a poor coach.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Ferraro mentioned last night that Helle worked with the same guy who turned Dubnyk's career around. I agree with you - last year he lost that calm, and was flopping about like a previous goalie.

This significant change for the better after a summer away from Flaherty strongly adds to the argument that he's a poor coach.

Ferraro did indeed mention during the game that Hellebuyck was working with Dubnyk's offseason coach. Which lead to this exchange between the wife and I:

Her: "Oh that's good to hear. The Jets goalie coach must suck"
Me: "Yeah that's Wade Flaherty, he is a pretty bad coach"
Her: "They'd be better off with Joe Flaherty" (the SCTV alumni for the youngsters who don't remember that show)

Bada-CHING

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Big, boring and steady. That's what he's been this season and if he keeps it up we're in for a GREAT season.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Ferraro did indeed mention during the game that Hellebuyck was working with Dubnyk's offseason coach. Which lead to this exchange between the wife and I:

Her: "Oh that's good to hear. The Jets goalie coach must suck"
Me: "Yeah that's Wade Flaherty, he is a pretty bad coach"
Her: "They'd be better off with Joe Flaherty" (the SCTV alumni for the youngsters who don't remember that show)

Bada-CHING

For us posters that are slightly younger, and may not have seen SCTV during it's heyday, he also had a role in Happy Gilmore, as the guy hired by shooter McGavin to do his bidding.

However, you are both right. Flaherty is terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->