Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Hellebuyck to 1 year $2.25M contract

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
LOL..

You do realize that the Jets will have to overpay in many cases being in a market players do not want to be in, and the low Canadian dollar. The Jets have done a good job of spending wisely.

And every team in the league has players that are overpaid on their roster

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Decent deal for a goalie who did win 26 games last year.

Now let's get Ehlers and Little signed Chevy. Trouba will play out this year, so I'm not even thinking there's negotiations going on there.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Even LA, they used to have to always overpay for players. Why? Because they were a bad team! The biggest draw for players always has been and always will be well run winning organizations. The rest is secondary.

^this. Win, and players will want to be a part of it.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
overpayment but I'm relieved its only a one yea deal. Time for Helle to prove himself. We will find out this season if Helle can take his game to another level, or is a career backup. Personally, I believe Helle will be a backup in this league for about 5 years. I don't see him outplaying Mason this year.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
And every team in the league has players that are overpaid on their roster

As Canadian teams go, I think the Jets have done a very good job in not drastically overpaying players.

Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa seem to drastically overpay their players or FAs.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As I said in the arbitration thread, Hellebuyck did have a pretty good case. He was a starter last year, put up not-terrible numbers - as good, or better than the last two seasons of the guy the Jets just brought in and paid $4.1M.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As I said in the arbitration thread, Hellebuyck did have a pretty good case. He was a starter last year, put up not-terrible numbers - as good, or better than the last two seasons of the guy the Jets just brought in and paid $4.1M.

??

Mason the last two years has posted a .912 in 30 more games whereas Helle posted a .910.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Another over payment by Chevy. Washington signed Grubouer for $1.5.

more like a ultimatum we have no cap space and quite a few players to sign take this or we will trade you. its hard to pay someone when you don't have the cap space.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
overpayment but I'm relieved its only a one yea deal. Time for Helle to prove himself. We will find out this season if Helle can take his game to another level, or is a career backup. Personally, I believe Helle will be a backup in this league for about 5 years. I don't see him outplaying Mason this year.

I can't see Bucky proving himself this year to be anything but a backup if he is only playing backup minutes. The only way he plays starting minutes is if Mason gets injured or is doodoo. If the latter, we are in trouble.

In reading the tea leaves and entrails, I think this is both sides way of saying they want to move on after this year. The Jets see Comrie as their new hope for the future, but he needs at least another year on the Moose. I think Bucky is unhappy going into the season as the backup. He realizes that Mason is not getting that contract with the intent that he has to compete for the #1 job. The overpayment is the Jets way of getting his nose somewhat back in joint while they wait for Comrie.

If Comrie doesn't progress as hoped, I see the Jets turning to trade or free agency to get a veteran backup. Bucky will be moved if there is a decent deal to be had, or allowed to walk.

Mark my words, or fire up the crow pot. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
LOL..

You do realize that the Jets will have to overpay in many cases being in a market players do not want to be in, and the low Canadian dollar. The Jets have done a good job of spending wisely.

The low $C does not affect what the Jets have to pay. All players are paid in $US.

The Winnipeg tax is a debate of its own. It does not apply to signing RFA's.

The Jets have done well some of the time and not so well some of the time.

Kulikov was overpaid - by quite a bit. That makes overpaying Helle another overpay.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
First, explain to me how the low canadian dollar effects anything? Players all get paid in USD. If anything that means players will have more money during season or all the time if they live in Canada.

Second, the "Winnipeg Tax" is the most overblown thing IMO. Who really wants to live in Detroit of all places? No one. Yet they got many good deals because they had good teams. Winnipeg is paying a bad team tax and have since they returned. This will change drastically if they ever become a good team.

From a Canadian dollar standpoint I'd think that would be a tremendous advantage in the sense of buying power. Think about Pavelec making $5 here in Winnipeg and what that buys then going to New York city and making $2 or whatever he is. The housing cost along would be massive. Is it big enough to offset the taxation difference? I would have to think it is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't see Bucky proving himself this year to be anything but a backup if he is only playing backup minutes. The only way he plays starting minutes is if Mason gets injured or is doodoo. If the latter, we are in trouble.

In reading the tea leaves and entrails, I think this is both sides way of saying they want to move on after this year. The Jets see Comrie as their new hope for the future, but he needs at least another year on the Moose. I think Bucky is unhappy going into the season as the backup. He realizes that Mason is not getting that contract with the intent that he has to compete for the #1 job. The overpayment is the Jets way of getting his nose somewhat back in joint while they wait for Comrie.

If Comrie doesn't progress as hoped, I see the Jets turning to trade or free agency to get a veteran backup. Bucky will be moved if there is a decent deal to be had, or allowed to walk.

Mark my words, or fire up the crow pot. :laugh:

Good gawd, I hope not! Comrie has not shown anything like NHL starter probability. He has not played even close to as well in the AHL as Bucky, Hutch, Pavelec or even Eddie Pasquale.

Comrie has only 1 year of his ELC left. He needs to be a lot better just to get a 2nd contract. This year is make or break for him. He is someone you hope for but don't count on.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Good gawd, I hope not! Comrie has not shown anything like NHL starter probability. He has not played even close to as well in the AHL as Bucky, Hutch, Pavelec or even Eddie Pasquale.

Comrie has only 1 year of his ELC left. He needs to be a lot better just to get a 2nd contract. This year is make or break for him. He is someone you hope for but don't count on.

The idea that Comrie is viewed as the Jets goalie of the future won't seem to die, even though he's been nothing more than a mediocre AHL netminder. I almost have to wonder if there may be some truth to it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
From a Canadian dollar standpoint I'd think that would be a tremendous advantage in the sense of buying power. Think about Pavelec making $5 here in Winnipeg and what that buys then going to New York city and making $2 or whatever he is. The housing cost along would be massive. Is it big enough to offset the taxation difference? I would have to think it is.

You would think the players would hire agents that would be smart enough to take it into account, but hey, if a player wants to throw his future retirement money down the tubes to live in the "big" city, who am I to say...

Even if you are making the same... $5MM in Winnipeg gets you a lot farther than $5MM in New York City. The point is to save your earnings and don't spend like a drunken sailor, but in Winnipeg you will have a lot more money to save.

Winnipeg has a cost of living index of 73.91. Cost of living rank 215th out of 520 cities in the world.

New York has a cost of living index of 100.00. Cost of living rank 18th out of 520 cities in the world.

Some others:

Montreal has a cost of living index of 72.87. Cost of living rank 233th out of 520 cities in the world.

Toronto has a cost of living index of 75.63. Cost of living rank 188th out of 520 cities in the world.

Tampa has a cost of living index of 78.57. Cost of living rank 154th out of 520 cities in the world. ( Not always cheaper to live where it's warm )

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
If it is an overpay, it's a pretty irrelevant one. Since it's a 1 year deal on a year we're not facing cap pressure.

If I had to take a wild guess (which is something we all like to do around here), I'd say Hellebuyck ain't too pleased with being booted out of the starter role. Regardless of whether it was deserved or not. So an extra fraction of a million, plus a 1 year deal to allow Hellebuyck to renegotiate a year down the road, may be what it took to keep Helle sorta happy. The message being, "Listen man, our goaltending wasn't good enough last year, so we're trying something new. If you can fight back and steal the starter role, that's super cool with us. You'll get the opportunity. But you gotta prove it if you want to be the starter, and get paid like one."

A multi-year deal would have been Hellebuyck accepting he ain't the starter, and it's gonna stay that way for a while.

If this deal does signal that Helle is pissed and wants to prove himself a starter, that's exactly what I want out of him.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
I'm surprised at the dollar amount considering his performance last season. Yes, I get that he played starting goalie minutes, but did he actually play like a starter? I still believe he can become a key player for us. But why over pay when we're in the driver's seat?

I was under the impression that Chevy was a frugal gm, especially in the first few years. But now I'm seeing that is not the case. Dismissing overpayment because we still have cap space seems to me to be a little bit short sighted. It sets a precedent and sets Chevy up as an easy mark in future negotiations.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's one year so it's more money, why is that hard to figure out. Helly will surprise many on this forum this year. He will continue to get better.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Slight overpay to avoid arbitration. I'm ok with that. Apparently you have to really criticize your own player during negotiations. Goalies are an emotional bunch and I don't want Helly hearing how bad he is lol

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If it is an overpay, it's a pretty irrelevant one. Since it's a 1 year deal on a year we're not facing cap pressure.

If I had to take a wild guess (which is something we all like to do around here), I'd say Hellebuyck ain't too pleased with being booted out of the starter role. Regardless of whether it was deserved or not. So an extra fraction of a million, plus a 1 year deal to allow Hellebuyck to renegotiate a year down the road, may be what it took to keep Helle sorta happy. The message being, "Listen man, our goaltending wasn't good enough last year, so we're trying something new. If you can fight back and steal the starter role, that's super cool with us. You'll get the opportunity. But you gotta prove it if you want to be the starter, and get paid like one."

A multi-year deal would have been Hellebuyck accepting he ain't the starter, and it's gonna stay that way for a while.

If this deal does signal that Helle is pissed and wants to prove himself a starter, that's exactly what I want out of him.

This is kind of how I see it as well. They are leaving the door open for him to seize it next year. By giving him a bit more they are signalling that he's still in their long range plans but that they need to shore things up in the near term but he will be given an opportunity to be a part of it.

I'm not sure where this Comrie stuff is coming from, he needs another two seasons in the AHL where he needs to develop consistiency before we talk about him being a full time NHL goalie in any capacity.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Eh. Little expensive, but kind of expected. He didn't put up starter numbers last season, but he did have a starter's workload. Having a higher AAV for a 1 year contract is a good compromise.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Slight overpay to avoid arbitration. I'm ok with that. Apparently you have to really criticize your own player during negotiations. Goalies are an emotional bunch and I don't want Helly hearing how bad he is lol

raining_david_tennant.gif

One year deal, so he should be even more motivated to show that he can be a solid NHL backup this year.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“I’m excited for it,†Hellebuyck said. “I’m happy to be with the Winnipeg organization again. I think the team is very good and has a very bright future. I’m excited to be a part of that future.â€

“I’m going to give every ounce of effort I can on the ice to prove that I belong here and show them that last year was a fluke,†Hellebuyck said. “I know I have more to give and I’m going to do that this year and prove it.â€

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/07/24/jets-sign-hellebuyck-to-one-year-contract

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
“I’m excited for it,” Hellebuyck said. “I’m happy to be with the Winnipeg organization again. I think the team is very good and has a very bright future. I’m excited to be a part of that future.”

“I’m going to give every ounce of effort I can on the ice to prove that I belong here and show them that last year was a fluke,” Hellebuyck said. “I know I have more to give and I’m going to do that this year and prove it.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/07/24/jets-sign-hellebuyck-to-one-year-contract

Last year was a fluke, not the norm. His numbers every other year shows that. He will bounce back nicely, this tandem was a year too late or we would've made playoffs last year. Hutch sunk us early on as we had no one to turn to. Put Hutchs early start on a playoff team and they wouldn't be one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00