d4ZCas3.png

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/889441901685952512

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Would have thought a 2 year contract would have been more likely. Maybe the kid is betting on himself to prove he is starter material.
Maybe 1 year is all the Jets were offering , show us you belong in the NHL . :dunno:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Makes more sense for Connor and the jets. One year deal gives him the option to make more money sooner if he comes out gangbusters.

For the jets it makes sense because it lets you renegotiate from a better place, more RFA years left, less strong seasons so you likely pay less.

Not that there's be a dramatic difference on a two year but I can see why both would only want 1

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I didn't expect him to get quite that much in a one year deal. Time to see how he does next season.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Add 3 to 4 million in bonuses and we are sitting around $72 million

Yessir, could come really close to the cap this season. Which I find funny because I remember hearing that the Jets would never be a cap team, and that their internal budget would not allow it. :laugh:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Bit surprised that it's not two years. Jets now have 8 roster RFAs to sign next offseason.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Bit surprised that it's not two years. Jets now have 8 roster RFAs to sign next offseason.

Morrisey, Trouba, Ehlers are the 3 main RFAs who will get paid. If the rest perform so well they deserve substantial raises that's actually good as that means they've driven up they're trade value as well such as guys like Dano, Petan, Armia who are all bottom 6 players (on the Jets at least). This would turn us kind of into the CHI model where those guys get traded for younger assets or picks and our younger guys start stepping in like the Lemieuxs and Harkins of the world.

Hellebuyck is the wild card. If he plays so well he "steals" the starter role from Mason, that's great we've got our young #1 Goalie they thought he could be and Mason is only around for 1 more year, but I still can't see him making more than Mason on his next deal anyways.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Yessir, could come really close to the cap this season. Which I find funny because I remember hearing that the Jets would never be a cap team, and that their internal budget would not allow it. :laugh:

I guess we can expect big ticket increases next year.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess we can expect big ticket increases next year.

I am not one of the people who are fortunate enough to have season tickets, so this doesn't really affect me too much. I get out to a handful of games each season, as I work with several season ticket holders who need to sell games.

That being said, I'm not really a fan of how much ticket prices have increased. I also have no idea what it takes to run a viable NHL franchise. :dunno:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would have thought a 2 year contract would have been more likely. Maybe the kid is betting on himself to prove he is starter material.

This creates competition for next year.

I was surprised by 1 year too, but if Helle has a down year Chevy can try to re-sign Mason or if Helle steps up sign Helle longterm before his cap hit gets too high.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Another over payment by Chevy. Washington signed Grubouer for $1.5.

Hellebuyck had a workload of a starter. Grubauer was purely a backup goalie.

Now, it goes without saying that how they played is important too, but how can one get paid like a starter without actually playing as much as one? Likewise, Hellebuyck played more than guys making millions more than he does, but had some depressing numbers preventing him from getting a bigger paycheck. How much of those numbers is on the Jets' defense having been hot garbage for the majority of the time, you can decide that yourself.

Like it or not, Hellebuyck was put in a position from which he was able to get himself that contract. That should be a fact that everyone can accept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->