SimpleSimon

Nov 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
6D7C8F87-3F70-4299-855E-06BAC5739451.jpeg

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Was at the game with my younger son, really enjoyed it. Jets have a lot of depth this year and it shows. We’ve been talking about the forwards lots (well deserved) but what impressed me was how well our Ds played. Tight gap right up on their guys, quick on puck retrieval, crisp passes out of our zone, very good in front of our net and they really activate in the offensive zone. We move without the puck so well in the ozone which creates passing lanes and makes the other team chase us around all night. It’s a treat to watch this team. And Helly my boy was stellar as usual! If we could ever improve special teams we will make a deep run.
Was there too. What I noticed from the D was a huge number of blocked shots.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Great win, team stayed hot.

Perfetti is looking excellent but it would be nice if his coach trusted him to close out games more, especially in a game where he is playing elite hockey like tonight. Still pretty good that he's pacing 55 points with the lack of getting some bounces for second assists.
dude u gotta be related to perfetti or something at this point lol

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Thats exactly right! I was 5 rows up just behind Helle's goal in the 1st and 3rd periods. Some of those breakouts are mind numbingly fast. Its shocking... you never get that sense from watching it on TV.
I remember going to the first Jets game in person and watching warm up, and being shocked at how fast NHL players shoot the puck without even trying.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
I wish we could throw all the fancy stats in the trash can and just enjoy the way they are playing and winning.
I get what you’re trying to say, but for some people, that’s part of the enjoyment.

While I can take them or leave in hockey, with baseball they’re definitely a significant part of the joy I get from the game and watching the Jays.

Reactions: MelikeJets

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I get what you’re trying to say, but for some people, that’s part of the enjoyment.

While I can take them or leave in hockey, with baseball they’re definitely a significant part of the joy I get from the game and watching the Jays.
Really???
So you enjoyed the Jays losing because they used analytics instead of the eye test.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I wish we could throw all the fancy stats in the trash can and just enjoy the way they are playing and winning.
Stats are for losers.
#1 PP are the Devils ....out of the playoffs
Top 5 PK the Flames ... out of the playoffs.
What would you rather have a top team or a team out of the playoffs with a top stat?
Last year's SC champs had 15th PP and 17th PK so according to stats they should not be the SC Champs ... right?
Seriously if watch a game and you don't know who the better team was ... why watch the game just go read the fancy stats.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016

Really???
So you enjoyed the Jays losing because they used analytics instead of the eye test.
I think you’re reading into this much differently than I intended. No, your statement is obviously not true for me and it’s ridiculous if that were the case.

As a kid, all I had were stats and I’d pore over baseball digest and the one book of every baseball statistic/leader/record ever. I’d copy down stats from the back of baseball cards. And on the few occasions I actually had the chance to watch a game, seeing the numbers on screen just added to the experience. Years later, in college, I again had no way of watching games and so I found baseball analytic/sabermetric communities online and dove into that. It’s intertwined with my enjoyment of the game to at least some extent.

As as the Jets go, I love watching games and yes, reading some of these stats just adds an extra layer to my enjoyment, even if I don’t understand them that much.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Way too early to worry about the standings. I just hope this team is no peaking too soon but I am enjoying the wins

Agreed; while I'm enjoying the view from these lofty heights, I get more of a sense of 'we still have half a year to get Connor back, plus get our special teams up to at least average.' We're playing great and I don't think we've peaked yet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Top line has been ice cold lately. I believe he shook things up earlier this year after a similar cold spell.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks with the change or goes back for next game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Was at the game with my younger son, really enjoyed it. Jets have a lot of depth this year and it shows. We’ve been talking about the forwards lots (well deserved) but what impressed me was how well our Ds played. Tight gap right up on their guys, quick on puck retrieval, crisp passes out of our zone, very good in front of our net and they really activate in the offensive zone. We move without the puck so well in the ozone which creates passing lanes and makes the other team chase us around all night. It’s a treat to watch this team. And Helly my boy was stellar as usual! If we could ever improve special teams we will make a deep run.

Since our D core is largely the same as it’s been for two years you have to ask yourself why now I guess. How come the D look like a new group At 5 v 5. Best I can tell this is Just what it looks like when you have all 5 guys on the ice committed to a system and You have great two way forwards that play their positions well, stick to the system, and make life hell for the other team with relentless pressure all over the ice. I really think what we are seeing is a byproduct of not cheating the game for offense and executing on the coaches plan to the letter.

Churning 40% of our forward group since last year at this time didn’t hurt. Everyone is playing a two way game even 55. When everyone buys in, a team starts to believe and feel it, and your goalie‘s start playing exceptionally well then you are tough to beat.

Teams can win the cup with crap power plays but they need to be elite at the PK (See Boston in 2011 and LA). Games are won and lost at 5 on 5 in the playoffs but we can’t suck at both special teams. We have a half a season to figure it out though.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Three lines have total buy-in to bones system - scheif needs to get back on board - top line is freewheeling a bit but not a disaster

D engaged, shooting and blocking pucks - exactly what bones is asking

PP is still dead in the water... start PP2 but I think there's likely scheif politics in play... at least get him in the slot - still waiting for the 'big changes' we were promised

I'd like to see Nino-Barron and Lowry-AJF - need a bit more speed to the point

Please give Nino a look at 2C he deserves it

Great to see ehlers get GWG - guy works hard

Refs covered the spread - good for them

Remember when it was a massive achievement for the Jets to win three in a row...? Now we barely notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad