Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Bolts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Top line has been ice cold lately. I believe he shook things up earlier this year after a similar cold spell.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks with the change or goes back for next game.
I think he goes back to it but i think that he's not going to stay with it if he doesn't like what he sees.Probably goes for every line and D pairing as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Hasn't really been talked about too much but Bowness is a good coach.
I was actually coming to mention this again.

This team just plays 100% differently than we did under Maurice. A complete culture, system, everything change that was so needed. I am not a Paul hater, but the way the team was playing under him got stale and was clearly not working. Chevy and Bowness rebuilt this team in his image (Iafallo, Names, Vilardi, Nino, Kupari all play hard two way games), and have got bought in from our existing stars (Scheif, Ehlers, Connor). It is so refreshing.

Now lets just get those pesky special teams up to at least league average please.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wish we could throw all the fancy stats in the trash can and just enjoy the way they are playing and winning.

I think it’s possible to totally enjoy the ride while noticing some trends in fancy stats. Anyone posting fancy stats knows that one game sample sizes get discussed just for shits and giggles.

This is as good as it gets for Jets fans so you really don’t want to manufacture stress out of winning hockey. Playing this many games where you don’t give up more than 3 goals or this many two goals against or better games, being one of the top few teams in goals against, and point differential are really the items I look at and we are in the top tier of the league in these areas.

This is one of, if not the best versions of the Jets.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Thats exactly right! I was 5 rows up just behind Helle's goal in the 1st and 3rd periods. Some of those breakouts are mind numbingly fast. Its shocking... you never get that sense from watching it on TV.
I'm normally in row 8 in 103 so get to see the speed and size very clearly. For the Bruins game we were up in 205, pretty much center ice, but about 10 rows further up. The Bruins game was a much, much better view of the ice, no blind spots at all and could see all the plays develop. Great vantage point, but I'm no sure I want to be up that high. Definitely missed out on the speed, size and sound aspect of the game down low. I'm spoiled.

Kudos to pretty much the entire Jeannot clan being at the game last night. I sat beside his aunt and uncle and they were very nice people. They did confirm that almost all of the Saskatchewan relatives were there. Jerseys everywhere, including some Predators jerseys, which in this case was understandable.

Fun game to be at. I've seen the Lightning a bunch of times since the Jets came back. I'd have to check, but this might be the first time I've seen the Jets beat them at home. I'm on a heck of a streak too - was at the Avs, Wings Bruins, Lightning - all wins. And yeah, even being down after the first that game didn't feel out of reach. And for whatever reason with only a one goal lead going into the third it was less 'clenchy' than usual.

Nice sized crowd for a Tuesday.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Namestnikov named Curator of the Coelacanth Society and chairperson of the Board (AP).

In a whirlwind 2 days, the Coelacanth Society has announced the appointment of Vladimir Namestnikov to the Board (based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Namestnikov takes over from the entire Jets' 4th line. In his acceptance speech he thanked the outgoing members, and pledged to address issues with brackish water outflow to key estuaries.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 7.41.55 AM.png

(artistic impression courtesy of Kanadalainen Enterprises LLC)

Last edited:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I was impressed with Nino tonight. Not the flashiest star or the one getting the most points, but surely one of the hardest working and hardest hitting players tonight.

Playing the "imagine what" game now. We are number one when the sun comes up tomorrow and racking up gritty wins against some really impressive teams. Imagine what we could be doing if we had Kyle Connor back in the lineup and if our first line hasn't been totally limp for the last several games.

This could be a great deal fun in the second half of the schedule!
Interesting choice of words there. Only the girl in the group has described one of our lines as being "limp'.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think it’s possible to totally enjoy the ride while noticing some trends in fancy stats. Any posting fancy stats know that one game sample sizes get discussed just for shits and giggles.

This is as good as it gets for Jets fans so you really don’t want to manufacture stress out of winning hockey. Playing this many games where you don’t give up more than 3 goals or this many two goals against or better games, being one of the top few teams in goals against, and point differential are really the items I look at and we are in the top tier of the league in these areas.

This is one of, if not the best versions of the Jets.
Great post. :thumbu: Totally agree. I'm really enjoying the ride so far this season obviously because of the winning but this Jets team works it's ass's off almost every game and i love seeing that even if we lose . This whole team is playing like the old GST line and i love it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

This team just plays 100% differently than we did under Maurice. A complete culture, system, everything change that was so needed. I am not a Paul hater, but the way the team was playing under him got stale and was clearly not working. Chevy and Bowness rebuilt this team in his image (Iafallo, Names, Vilardi, Nino, Kupari all play hard two way games), and have got bought in from our existing stars (Scheif, Ehlers, Connor). It is so refreshing.

Now lets just get those pesky special teams up to at least league average please.

As I said before they waited too long with Moe. That isn't a shot at him but coaches have shelf lives and his ended in 2019 with this group.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Since our D core is largely the same as it’s been for two years you have to ask yourself why now I guess. How come the D look like a new group At 5 v 5. Best I can tell this is Just what it looks like when you have all 5 guys on the ice committed to a system and You have great two way forwards that play their positions well, stick to the system, and make life hell for the other team with relentless pressure all over the ice. I really think what we are seeing is a byproduct of not cheating the game for offense and executing on the coaches plan to the letter.

Churning 40% of our forward group since last year at this time didn’t hurt. Everyone is playing a two way game even 55. When everyone buys in, a team starts to believe and feel it, and your goalie‘s start playing exceptionally well then you are tough to beat.

Teams can win the cup with crap power plays but they need to be elite at the PK (See Boston in 2011 and LA). Games are won and lost at 5 on 5 in the playoffs but we can’t suck at both special teams. We have a half a season to figure it out though.

Main reasons for difference...

Back pressure... forwards are closing the gaps from behind and at the very least causing puck carriers and pass receivers to deviate ever so slightly...

Front of net... forwards and defensemen more active with their sticks to control sticks and access to loose pucks... and further they all move their feet this year to be on or more near the right side of the puck... then make the simple play to clear, not dangle with the puck...

Moving up as a unit... filling lanes on transition and Bowness allowing the defense to fill at times with solid puck possession on O'zone situations...

Accountability... I will use Schmidt as the example... healthy scratched for multiple games in a row while eager, younger defense got a chance to do a job... big change to get buy in... previous years Po'Mo' kept repeating the definition of madness sticking the same perps in over and over again no matter what without proactive action against...

:popcorn:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Main reasons for difference...

Back pressure... forwards are closing the gaps from behind and at the very least causing puck carriers and pass receivers to deviate ever so slightly...

Front of net... forwards and defensemen more active with their sticks to control sticks and access to loose pucks... and further they all move their feet this year to be on or more near the right side of the puck... then make the simple play to clear, not dangle with the puck...

Moving up as a unit... filling lanes on transition and Bowness allowing the defense to fill at times with solid puck possession on O'zone situations...

Accountability... I will use Schmidt as the example... healthy scratched for multiple games in a row while eager, younger defense got a chance to do a job... big change to get buy in... previous years Po'Mo' kept repeating the definition of madness sticking the same perps in over and over again no matter what without proactive action against...

:popcorn:
Another great post , slow down ya bastards .:laugh: I did like Maurice but ya he was here a little too long. I don't think Chevy makes that mistake again, although maybe Chipman wouldn't let Chevy fire him . Nobody knows for sure except Chevy and Mark , all spilled milk now anyway.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Aaaand another great post. :thumbu: Jesus you guys are posting like the Jets are playing, unreal.:nod:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Was at the game with my younger son, really enjoyed it. Jets have a lot of depth this year and it shows. We’ve been talking about the forwards lots (well deserved) but what impressed me was how well our Ds played. Tight gap right up on their guys, quick on puck retrieval, crisp passes out of our zone, very good in front of our net and they really activate in the offensive zone. We move without the puck so well in the ozone which creates passing lanes and makes the other team chase us around all night. It’s a treat to watch this team. And Helly my boy was stellar as usual! If we could ever improve special teams we will make a deep run.
It truly is an amazing thing to watch. I saw the stat earlier that said that all D were between like 18-20 minutes - that illustrates that they are playing the system to a tee.

Of course, as I have always screamed as loud as I can around here, the defense is only as good as the support of the forwards. Coming back to help, providing quick, short outlet opportunities, being deeper in the zone for support and backing the d up on forays into the offensive zone are the real reasons why this corps is performing so well.

I always said we don't need a high profile defensive corps to win. You need a good mix of attributes, and a great system with forwards helping. We're getting that. If we have some injuries on D, I am fully confident that guys like Capo, Heinola, and even Stanley can slide in and play reliable minutes.

I want to really tip my cap to often maligned Schmidt and Pionk. They have both really stepped up their games and seem to be thriving in this environment.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Or picked a team during absence and refuse to change loyalty.
Or, grew up without a team and had a number one? Yes, most of us are that old that we remember 1.0 haha.

When the Jets left I boycotted the NHL until 2003. I kept playing hockey and watched junior, but no NHL.

Then I moved to Alberta for work and started watching the Oilers in 2003. There was something about that team - underrated, lunch bucket team with some top end skill and a LOT of hard workers. A no name defense and really good goaltending. Hmmm sound familiar?

The pinnacle for me was living in Edmonton and watching the cinderella run in 2006. That was one of my favorite moments, despite the way it ended.

The MOMENT the Jets came back I severed my ties with the Oilers. I told myself they'd be my second team, but I have NO second team. There is the Jets, and 31 enemies of various hate levels.

There are plenty of people living in Winnipeg who are not Jets fans. He's almost 60, it's not exactly far fetched that an original 6 team is his team. I think he grew up in Edmonton also. Like where do you think all of the Leafs fans that show up at their games are likely from? They aren't bussing in from Etobicoke.

I threw them in the trash as soon as they became a thing.
They were always in the trash. Some people just love dumpster diving :P

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Or, grew up without a team and had a number one? Yes, most of us are that old that we remember 1.0 haha.

When the Jets left I boycotted the NHL until 2003. I kept playing hockey and watched junior, but no NHL.

Then I moved to Alberta for work and started watching the Oilers in 2003. There was something about that team - underrated, lunch bucket team with some top end skill and a LOT of hard workers. A no name defense and really good goaltending. Hmmm sound familiar?

The pinnacle for me was living in Edmonton and watching the cinderella run in 2006. That was one of my favorite moments, despite the way it ended.

The MOMENT the Jets came back I severed my ties with the Oilers. I told myself they'd be my second team, but I have NO second team. There is the Jets, and 31 enemies of various hate levels.

I’m a reformed Boston fan myself, dropped them like a bad habit when the Jets came back.

Last edited:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

When the Jets left I boycotted the NHL until 2003. I kept playing hockey and watched junior, but no NHL

I cheered for guys on my fantasy replay teams for 15 years, going as far as to get their jerseys on occasion. My first big poker tourney win in 2000, I was probably the only person who was ever in Regina in a Guy Carbonneau Dallas Stars jersey. :P but yeah, friends and family (even those in winnipeg) told me I should just admit defeat and take a new team. Held out for 15 years. They were the first ones I called from the Forks back in 2011 back on Jetsmas Day.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I cheered for guys on my fantasy replay teams for 15 years, going as far as to get their jerseys on occasion. My first big poker tourney win in 2000, I was probably the only person who was ever in Regina in a Guy Carbonneau Dallas Stars jersey. :P but yeah, friends and family (even those in winnipeg) told me I should just admit defeat and take a new team. Held out for 15 years. They were the first ones I called from the Forks back in 2011 back on Jetsmas Day.
You, sir, are a gentleman.

I did hold out for 7 years haha.

The ones I don't get are those who jumped ship, and cheered for the Coyotes, and worse yet - still do.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I was 8 when the Jets left. Never adopted a new team and always had hope they'd return. The day it was to be announced, I took off work, got a case of beer and a stogie and smiled the whole day.. Was no longer in MB at that time, so bucket list for me is to come home for a playoff game!
My twin on the other hand became a leafs fan (barf)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I actually cheered for all of the Candian teams from 1996-2011 (except the Leafs, that was never going to happen), even for the PTSD inducing Oilers due to the same reasons you mentioned. There was a very real danger of most of the Canadian franchises folding or moving south at that time except for the Leafs and Habs so it felt like the right thing to do. But now, forget it. My wife doesn't quite get why I love when the Oilers flounder, I just say "you had to be a Jets fan in the 80s".

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I was 8 when the Jets left. Never adopted a new team and always had hope they'd return. The day it was to be announced, I took off work, got a case of beer and a stogie and smiled the whole day.. Was no longer in MB at that time, so bucket list for me is to come home for a playoff game!
My twin on the other hand became a leafs fan (barf)
You should have consumed him in the womb.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Namestnikov named Curator of the Coelacanth Society and chairperson of the Board (AP).

In a whirlwind 2 days, the Coelacanth Society has announced the appointment of Vladimir Namestnikov to the Board (based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada). Namestnikov takes over from the entire Jets' 4th line. In his acceptance speech he thanked the outgoing members, and pledged to address issues with brackish water outflow to key estuaries.

View attachment 795086
(artistic impression courtesy of Kanadalainen Enterprises LLC)
WTF is this? LOL

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Another great post , slow down ya bastards .:laugh: I did like Maurice but ya he was here a little too long. I don't think Chevy makes that mistake again, although maybe Chipman wouldn't let Chevy fire him . Nobody knows for sure except Chevy and Mark , all spilled milk now anyway.

IF that was the case, I don't think Chipman makes that mistake again either.

I make it 3 years too long with Maurice. He was even given an extension during that period IIRC.

Bones is a breath of fresh air. Funny from the guy who was 2nd choice at best. Or maybe just the best of the leftovers. :laugh:

I like what Bones is doing so far. At some point he will go stale too but until he does I'm enjoying the ride.

Now if he could just get the Power Outage Play and the Momentum Kill turned around we would be almost unbeatable. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad